Questions about F#

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tantus
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

flats and sharps on sheet music

Post by Tantus »

*Drudges up painful memories of high school band*

Usually on sheet music if there is an accidental (a flat or sharp not indicated at the beginning of the piece) it is only good for that one measure. So, next measure the note that had the accidental in the previous measure would be played as a natural even if it doesnt have a natural symbol next to it. A reason why you would use a natural symbol would be to indicate switching back to playing the note as natural in the same measure the accidental occured.

Does that make sense?
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

More tunes with F-natural are "The Sunset" and the "Maids of Mitchellstown" reels.

Frankie Kennedy played a beautiful version of the Sunset...it's on the "Best of Altan" album.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
skh

Post by skh »

Cranberry wrote:You know...I think I knew that. Does anybody make a whistle that's like a piano, with the little black keys as little holes across from the bigger ones? Or is that basically the recorder? :/
No. For such a beast, you'd need at least 12 fingers (count keys on a piano from on C to the next), or a lot of keys. Ever seen a modern Boehm system flute? I'm not a flutemaker and I think it's a little more complicated than having another set of holes between the ones we whistlers have, but the basic idea of the Boehm system is boring holes where they are needed, not where they can be reached, and have keys instead of fingers to close them.

Just as an aside ;-)

Sonja
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I have heard Flogging Reel with F natural in the B part.

Does anyone know if this can be played with an F# because I really like that one but haven't mastered half holing the F yet.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Cranberry wrote:Does anybody make a whistle that's like a piano, with the little black keys as little holes across from the bigger ones? Or is that basically the recorder?
Like this Hohner Melodica? :roll:

It's basically plastic, making it basically like a recorder :lol:
However, the reeds are metal...
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

Zubivka wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Does anybody make a whistle that's like a piano, with the little black keys as little holes across from the bigger ones? Or is that basically the recorder?
Like this Hohner Melodica? :roll:

It's basically plastic, making it basically like a recorder :lol:
However, the reeds are metal...
Those things are soooooo cool -- check out Dr. Didge, the main instruments played by Graham Wiggins are Didge and melodica -- sweaty fun stuff!! Check out the track 'Sharks' at http://www.drdidg.com/Discography/Dust_ ... evils.html
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

peeplj wrote:More tunes with F-natural are "The Sunset" and the "Maids of Mitchellstown" reels.

--James
Does Frankie Kennedy's version have an Fnat in it? I'll have to dig out my LP and listen to it. I looked at a couple of versions at JC's but neither had an Fnat. The one at the Session did, though. The Groves is written in O'Neill's with some Fnat's. The Cook in the Kitchen has an Fnat. That concertina player with the unspellable name who plays with Patrick Orceau does something neat in the second part of The Humors of Ennystymon. They play an Fnat to begin the part but the rest of the tune uses F#. Actually I think they're in a totally different key altogether but they use the note that corresponds to Fnat.

Steve
Jack

Post by Jack »

Like this Hohner Melodica?
Like this.

If you played all the big holes, it's natural notes, but if you cover the others it goes flat or sharp. You wouldn't need all the little ones though. I just forget which ones you wouldn't need so I drew them all.[/quote]
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Cranberry wrote:
Like this.

:o EEEK! :o

Ein dreckorde Flockblute mit sex Schwein-mauls :boggle:

Vade retro, virus!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

'Give Me Your Hand' has a very funky F natural towards the end of the tune. I don't find it at all difficult to half hole. You can slide up to it effectively from E.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Give Me Your Hand! One of the first tunes I learned on whistle and still a favorite. That Fnat is one of the reasons I like it so much.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cranberry wrote:
Like this.

If you played all the big holes, it's natural notes, but if you cover the others it goes flat or sharp. You wouldn't need all the little ones though. I just forget which ones you wouldn't need so I drew them all.
[/quote]

You could have keys covering the holes you don't want open, operated by your little fingers which are spare. Then you'd have a clarinet. :D
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Martin Milner

Re: flats and sharps on sheet music

Post by Martin Milner »

Tantus wrote:*Drudges up painful memories of high school band*

Usually on sheet music if there is an accidental (a flat or sharp not indicated at the beginning of the piece) it is only good for that one measure. So, next measure the note that had the accidental in the previous measure would be played as a natural even if it doesnt have a natural symbol next to it. A reason why you would use a natural symbol would be to indicate switching back to playing the note as natural in the same measure the accidental occured.

Does that make sense?
An example of this occurs in Saint Anne's Reel. In the key of D, in the 4th bar of the B part there is a G# followed by a Gnat. The sharp is indicated, then to switch back to a nat in the same bar a nat symbol is inserted on the second G. If the next G occured in the following bar, no symbol would be required, it would be a natural because of the overriding key signature.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Zubivka wrote: Ein dreckorde Flockblute mit sex Schwein-mauls :boggle:

Vade retro, virus!
The German is perfect :roll: but shouldn't that be Vade retro, vire?!

For those planning to descend beyond the first ring of hell: It is not safe to assume that tunes like the Flogging Reel necessarily use either F-sharp or F-nat. Those interested might want to give Willie Clancy a listen and try to parse that on their tuners. But here I am in deep waters, and you'd have to ask someone who knows a bit about the music.
/Bloomfield
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Just how big....cough cough.... is Cranberry's Flockblute supposed to be to fulfill it's...cough...purpose.

Bloom
I'm pretty sure that I hear a Fnat in Flogging but then again I was wrong once before. :lol: Perhaps I hear neither Fnat or F#? The bar rises yet again.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm