The great outdoors

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Shanahan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The great outdoors

Post by Shanahan »

Hey folks, I'm looking for an outdoors whistle. My current favorite is my Jerry Freeman Bluebird, it's got a beautiful tone and I absolutely love it for sitting down and playing in a room, but when I take it outside the sound kinda disperses and it's pretty unimpressive. I'd like a louder whistle for outdoor busking to compete with the racket my banjo makes. Any suggestions?
Feadoggie

Re: The great outdoors

Post by Feadoggie »

Susato Kildare S-Series.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, a good suggestion. The Susato can be played loud, it's rain-resistant, and more wind-resistant than most - I once tested it by playing directly into a fan. You can rotate the head 180 degrees if you're playing in a stiff Atlantic breeze on the bow of the Titanic.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Feadoggie wrote:Susato Kildare S-Series.

Yeah, it'll do the job. You might get shot though.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:

Yeah, it'll do the job. You might get shot though.
I thought it was luthiers that were shot.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
trill

Post by trill »

Yup. I've had a "traveling" Susato for years. They're very durable. Nearly indestructible, except for the blade (yes, protect the blade when stuffing into a knapsack . . .). Plus, they've got about the loudest, clearest voice I've ever heard.

And, of course, great pitch and modest price.

trill
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

It occurred to me while posting to another Susato thread that the newer model Susato, the Oriole, could also serve the purpose quite well. I keep forgetting about them. Same durable material. Similar volume and playing characteristics. Slightly different head design. And they are priced below the Kildare models.
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:eah, it'll do the job. You might get shot though.
Hmmm? Do Kevin Crawford or Cormac Breathnach have to wear bullet proof vests when they play?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Feadoggie wrote:It occurred to me while posting to another Susato thread that the newer model Susato, the Oriole, could also serve the purpose quite well. I keep forgetting about them. Same durable material. Similar volume and playing characteristics. Slightly different head design. And they are priced below the Kildare models.
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:eah, it'll do the job. You might get shot though.
Hmmm? Do Kevin Crawford or Cormac Breathnach have to wear bullet proof vests when they play?

Feadoggie
Not if they're playing the C or B. I've yet to see someone seriously play a D S-series in an indoor setting without some wincing.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I've yet to see someone seriously play a D S-series in an indoor setting without some wincing.
I've done it often (Dublin one-piece D) and nobody's winced yet. In fact sometimes with folk busy talking they didn't even notice I was playing!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ThomasNashJohnson

Post by ThomasNashJohnson »

trill wrote:And, of course, great pitch and modest price.
Is £40.00 'modest' for a plastic whistle? A Tony Dixon tuneable plastic High D can be purchased for around £25.00.
'A Brilliant Sense of Atmospheric Changes'
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I thought Susato would come up as I've heard they're fairly loud and piercing, but I didn't think it would be a consensus. Susato it is! Thanks to the responders. I don't think I'll need a bulletproof vest for this one as I've got no plans to play it indoors.
ThomasNashJohnson

Post by ThomasNashJohnson »

I had a Chieftain High D that was shockingly loud. However as I never played it outdoors I cannot vouch for how 'wind resistant' it was.
'A Brilliant Sense of Atmospheric Changes'
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Shanahan wrote:but when I take it outside the sound kinda disperses and it's pretty unimpressive. I'd like a louder whistle for outdoor busking to compete with the racket my banjo makes. Any suggestions?
Unfortunately, whistles in general don't sound very impressive outdoors. The sound pretty much disperses instead of being reflected back at you from walls and other hard surfaces.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Unfortunately, whistles in general don't sound very impressive outdoors. The sound pretty much disperses instead of being reflected back at you from walls and other hard surfaces.
I don't know about 'impressive' but they can carry a bit.
Some time ago, I wrote:One winter's afternoon a few years ago I went for a quick walk up the Cliffs of Moher. Michael Galvin, who is one of the people busking there often, was playing a Susato at the entrance of the Cliffs, just past the visitor centre. Walking southward along the cliff edge I could still hear him play and hear what tune he was playing well over a half a mile away. A gale from the north may have helped carry the sound though.
My brain hurts

Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

My wife assures me that my Susato carries exceptionally well for quite some distance outside...I apparently can never be far enough away to make her happy.