OT: Car stolen today!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Car stolen today!

Post by herbivore12 »

What a weird experience, to park your car on the street, go into a couple shops, go back to where you parked about an hour later, and. . . nothing's there.

Just air.

Funny thing is, we were planning on buying a new car (the new Civic electric/gas hybrid), and were wondering what my old car would get for trade-in. I guess -- unless the police recover the car -- that I won't have to haggle about that with the dealer, at least. (I'll just have to haggle with the claims adjuster, instead. . .)

Anyway, I'm off to complete all the various reporting-to-authorities I've been doing since, and to rent a car so I can get home. I'll reply to PMs as soon as I'm able, but it may be a day or two; sorry 'bout that.

Thieved and peeved,

Aaron
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Major BUMmer! Oh, the rogues, the black-hearted rogues!

Very sorry about that. Good luck with everything, herbivore.
/Bloomfield
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Bummer, man! Where was it parked, Aaron?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, that sucks. Nail the scutterin' sh*t. :evil:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Aaron, quel Bummaire indeed. Sorry to hear about it. If I had a dollar for every car I've had stolen 'round here over the years... :x anyway... It sux. Hopefully they'll find it soon.

-Paul
serpent

Damn!

Post by serpent »

I have a car with 386,000 miles on it that I tried and tried to get stolen. Parked it on the street in downtown KC with the keys in it and the windows open -- no luck. Where'd you say you parked yours?
:D
serpent

P.S. Sorry you lost yours. However, you'll probably get a better deal from your ins. adjuster than from a car dealer.
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

That would be surreal, Aaron. Even though it happens all the time, it would send me into la-la land to have my car stolen. I hope it works out with the Honda hybrid!

Cara
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

ah! no!! I hope you all the whistles out from under the seat!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tomcat has all his ducks in a row. :)
msheldon

Re: Damn!

Post by msheldon »

serpent wrote:I have a car with 386,000 miles on it that I tried and tried to get stolen. Parked it on the street in downtown KC with the keys in it and the windows open -- no luck. Where'd you say you parked yours?
Try taking the bagpipes out of the back seat.

Even thieves have some limits. :)
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Duckrasta

Post by Duckrasta »

You didnt leave any whistles in there, did you? That would be a tradgedy.

Seriously, I'm sorry, hope it all works out.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Cursed be the black hearted knave!

I have two cars. A black '94 Camaro for fun and a '79 Chevy Malibu for going to work. The Malibu is affectionately called "The Deerslayer". Her looks really started to go down hill when she had that close encounter of the whitetail kind.

I think I'd go balistic if either of then were snatched! You have my sympathy.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
madfifer9

Stolen car stories

Post by madfifer9 »

My car (a 93 Nissan 240SX) was stolen back in January from a hotel parking lot. It was there Friday night and gone Saturday morning. These thieves had some guts because the parking lot was clearly visible from the hotel units, not very far from the office AND right next to a Navy recruiting office!!

The police officer who took the report said that most cars are stolen just to get from one place to another, not for parts or stereos. My car was dumped about eight miles from where it was stolen. Everything that could be considered remotely valuable to a thief had been stolen -- emergency road kit, binoculars, chains, flashlight/radio -- but my two Clarke D whistles and Cooperman plastic fife were still in the back seat, along with my copy of "The Two Towers".

Thank heaven for illiterate, uncultured thieves.

The only thing wrong with the car when I got it back was, the passenger side door lock doesn't work any more (that's where they jimmied it). Basically, it was gone on Saturday and reported found on Tuesday. The officer also said that 80% (!!) of stolen cars are recovered. Amazing, huh? So maybe there is still some hope for finding your car, Aaron. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Linda
madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

So sorry to hear that Aaron. I hope it all works out well for you. BTW, did you have a steering lock; very effective for cars that lack good security systems.

Around these part, cars are stolen by people of three kinds.
(i) Professional thieves—you never see those cars again in recognisable form, they get 'rebirthed'. Only expensive new cars go this way.
(ii) Kids in poor areas. Either you get it back minus a few easy stealables or you find it crashed or burnt out a few miles away.
(iii) Junkies. You probably find the car, sometimes 200 feet from where it was stolen. Some things will be stolen—old track shoes, half-eaten apples, Susatos. Things of value, stereos, tool kits, Overtons will be where you left them. They'll probably donate a used needle or three and one of them will be found asleep in the back seat.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Thanks, all.

Along with the car, the only stuff I'm worried about is the garage door opener (I'm hoping that there wasn't anyting in the car with our address, inviting more thievery), some music (CDs and tapes), and a great little whistle (sigh); the only really good Generation D I've come across (needed only a tiny tweak, and it pops and sings, that thing).

I can get a new car easy enough. But that little whistle. . . Ah well. "It's only *stuff*," I keep repeating.

It's only stuff. But I liked some of it.

As my mom's mom would've said: "Well, you've got your health."

Amen to that.

Ta, and thanks, everyone,

Aaron