In Praise of the Mighty OAK

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Billgh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: In Praise of the Mighty OAK

Post by Billgh »

Now that I've had them a few days I must admit the Bluebird can go places that the Oak can't. It's not a little better than the Oak, it's quite a bit better. Still enjoy the Oak though. It's a good well made whistle. Might be a candidate for a little tweaking. I'll do some research here on the board and elsewhere and get back if I have any good results.
ThomasNashJohnson

Post by ThomasNashJohnson »

Billgh wrote:Now that I've had them a few days I must admit the Bluebird can go places that the Oak can't. It's not a little better than the Oak, it's quite a bit better
Tell me more please, and what is the cost of a Bluebird?
Billgh wrote:Might be a candidate for a little tweaking. I'll do some research here on the board and elsewhere and get back if I have any good results.
I'd certainly appreciate that, thank you. As they are so modestly priced it's no great tragedy if I should ruin one attempting a 'tweak' or two.
'A Brilliant Sense of Atmospheric Changes'
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

The Bluebird D was $28.50 +$6.00 for postage the last time I ordered one. Jerry Freeman's other whistles can be found on eThingy website. Very consistent whistles and very nice... all of them.
viewtopic.php?p=1141177#p1141177
Billgh

Post by Billgh »

I didn't see the Bluebird on eBay but you can order directly from Jerry, who is on this site. I got mine from thewhistleshop.com and they have them and several other of Jerry's whistles in stock along with others, including Oaks and Acorns. I would've ordered directly from Jerry but the whistle shop has a nice multi-whistle bag for a reasonable price and I as I seem to be acquiring more whistles than I initially anticipated I needed something to organize them.and carry them around. BTW I have no financial interest in the whistle shop, but they did ship quickly and I got my items in 2 days. I'm sure there are other equally good shops out there, but I would recommend this place.
ThomasNashJohnson

As I live in UK it's not really practical to order from either Mr. Freeman or the Whistleshop (Inland Revenue etc will add 30% - 40% to the cost sadly) The Bluebird is available from a UK vendor but with postage it's almost SIX times the cost on an 'off the shelf' OAK. Although I respect your advice (and Mr. Freeman's work) I'm not sure if the Bluebird can be SIX times better than the OAK.

I'm also aware that the three most expensive whistle's I've owned; Shaw, Susato, Chieftain were significantly the worst I've owned.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

ThomasNashJohnson wrote:As I live in UK it's not really practical to order from either Mr. Freeman or the Whistleshop
Ah, the advantage of providing a location in your member information. Saves folks from recommending US sources.

Cillian O'Briain tweaks whistles in Ireland so that might be a more economical source for you. They're available here and probably other sources in the UK.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Buying a whistle from the US is pretty much hassle free so don't let distance stop you, it's only a few days in the post.

Cillian O Briain's bought directly from him are now 28 euro I believe. If you're serious about the whistle, it's probably hard to beat the Killarney right now at 65 euro, delivered.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Buying a whistle from the US is pretty much hassle free so don't let distance stop you, it's only a few days in the post.
. . . except import duty of 20% plus a £9 handling fee severely bumps up the price of a whistle from the US.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Mr.Gumby wrote:If you're serious about the whistle, it's probably hard to beat the Killarney right now at 65 euro, delivered.
Have you tried one? They sound great on the videos. Also, free shipping worldwide is quite impressive.
ThomasNashJohnson

Steve Bliven wrote:Ah, the advantage of providing a location in your member information. Saves folks from recommending US sources
:sniffle:
ThomasNashJohnson

Mr.Gumby wrote:If you're serious about the whistle, it's probably hard to beat the Killarney right now at 65 euro, delivered.
My word, just had a look at the Killarney site and they both sound and look divine (though I don't care for the nickel body with the brass head) I'm particularly impressed with the playing of the young lady Orlaith McAuliffe she demonstrates the whistles qualities beautifully .

Thank you for that, I will certainly give serious thought to purchasing a Killarney in the near future.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

except import duty of 20% plus a £9 handling fee severely bumps up the price of a whistle from the US.
Even if you send it in the post? Over here (in Ireland) customs charges only come into play above a certain purchase price. Freemans (and several Sindts for that matter) all came through without any problems. Never had any charges on whistles, except when they arrived by courier.
Have you tried one? They sound great on the videos. Also, free shipping worldwide is quite impressive.
Well, it's not free shipping is it? It's included in the price. But Yes, very nice whistle, the Eflat is my favourite whistle now. Can't beat it.

I had misgivings about mixing white and yellow metal but once the whistle arrived it turned out it doesn't actually bother me. I would prefer a nickel tube anyway.
My brain hurts

ThomasNashJohnson

Mr.Gumby wrote:But Yes, very nice whistle, the Eflat is my favourite whistle now. Can't beat it.

I had misgivings about mixing white and yellow metal but once the whistle arrived it turned out it doesn't actually bother me. I would prefer a nickel tube anyway.
May I ask is an Eb much smaller than a D, and is it any more difficult to play because of this?

I too have a preference for nickel tubing, I don't care for how brass tarnishes (or the odour it leaves on the hands) it's only a minor aesthetic issue but the Killarney would look better if it was plated like the tube.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Azalin wrote:Have you tried one? They sound great on the videos. Also, free shipping worldwide is quite impressive.
Whole lotta discussion about the Killarney whistle here, but use the search function and you'll find a good bit more. Many folks seem to like them, some don't but there's been considerable discussion.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

The threshold for paying import duty is very low in the UK . . . yes on stuff arriving in the post. For example, a D/C Freeman set cost me way more than I anticipated. Anything like a Reyburn Low D becomes way way too expensive. It's a horrible situation.