For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Whatever the case, Ridseard, you will look more distinguished playing whistle than I could ever hope for. 8)
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

You're too kind, Nanohedron. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Now, could you lend me a bit o' cash? :lol:
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Nanohedron wrote:Now, could you lend me a bit o' cash? :lol:
Trying to borrow from a retiree? ROTFLMAO!!!! :lol:
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Ridseard wrote:Steve, thanks for the story about Melvin Wine! (I love old time music as much as ITM.)

My avatar is not a short-nosed Sean Connery, it's me. I'll be officially elderly (65) in a couple of weeks. I started trying to play whistle last June. I doubt that I'll ever be a decent ITM musician, but I'm having fun anyway.
I think the name of the tape of Melvin Wine is Hannah at the Springhouse and it can be ordered from the Augusta Heritage web site. I'm officially elderly too. I took up citttern/bouzouki type instruments after I retired. I still waiting to hear from Altan about touring with them but sometimes I think maybe they really aren't going to call.

Steve
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Thanks, Steve, I'll check on that tape.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Ridseard wrote: avatar is not a short-nosed Sean Connery, it's me. I'll be officially elderly (65) in a couple of weeks. I started trying to play whistle last June. I doubt that I'll ever be a decent ITM musician, but I'm having fun anyway.
That's the way,Ridseard- Fun Should be the main reason for playing ANY music.I'm sure if you enjoy playing,then it will come out in your music.
If your playing is enjoyed by others then that's a bonus-and their good fortune! :wink:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

I started when I was 5. I'm now 18, and I don't think I'm any better than anyone else who's been playing for that length of time cos I started young. I'm not homeschooled and I think my education has been fairly 'normal'. There aren't any young people in my area who play trad music (I don't like the word 'folk') apart from me and my sisters - that has held back my younger sister, but me and my older sister are ok about it.

My parents are both musical, there's always been music in the house. They've NEVER pushed us to play trad music - only to practise classical. It's always been something to enjoy, whatever stage we were at whereas the classical was something to learn so that we could enjoy it later (and I do).

My older sister is just back from travelling round one corner of the world, and her fiddle has made her many friends and got her many free beds in hostels in exchange for playing in the bar or with other musicians. She basically earnt her living busking.

Incidentally, she may be joining me next year when I start my BMus in Folk & Trad music at Newcastle Uni - she hasn't decided yet (kevin m., nickt look out!).

I don't really know what made me take to ITM - it's just something I've always done. There have been lenghty periods when I haven't practised, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference.
Another long rambling post!

Jo.
Image Image Image
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Jo,
So you've plumped to go for the Folk Degree at Newcastle-Congratulations! I bet you have a great time,whilst learning from some of the most respected names in traditional music.Well done, for getting a place! :wink:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
ston

Post by ston »

In terms of encouraging/indoctrinating kids, I guess the best I can do is relate my story. I'm 28 and I'm just getting into ITM. I was encouraged as a kid to do music, though I don't think it was ever forced on me. Both my parents are musicians, and it always seemed to me that learning an instrument was a natural thing to do. It never occurred to me that a lot of other kids never learn an instrument. My family environment was one where music was an integral part of life.

I started out on piano when I was five or so, then I left that for boehm flute around six or seven. Everything was classical -- my parents were classical musicians and I never had much exposure to folk music other than playground and camp songs. I joined a boychoir a month or so before my 8th birthday and that eventually became my main focus.

When my voice changed I pretty much left music behind. I would have continued singing but I had moved to a new city and so I couldn't go into the youth choir associated with my old boychoir.

To sum up the story so far: I enjoyed music as a kid, with encouragement from my parents, but no folk music beyond children's songs.

I first started to get into traditional music when, after having done international folkdance for several years, one of the members of my dance group decided to sell his Bulgarian bagpipe (gajda). I jumped at the chance and I started in with reckless abandon.

For several years I played the gajda (and I still do) both privately and for a while with a band, but I've always wished for something closer to my own cultural heritage. I found it in contra dance. After doing contra dance for several years I recieved a pair of recorders as a gift and I started learning to play them, with the goal of eventually playing for dances. I've learned several old-time and Irish tunes, but outside a strictly Irish tradition.

But you know what? I think bagpipes are about the coolest thing in the world, and so I finally did something I've been thinking about for a couple years now -- I ordered starter set of uilleann pipes. They should be here in five weeks or so :) I plan to take lessons and attend meetings of the local piper's club, and just generally dig on this kick-ass instrument. I'm really looking forward to getting more into the local Irish scene in the process. I like jam sessions, but so far I've found them rather frustrating as I don't know any of the songs!

Anyway, I know it's a long-winded way of saying it, but I guess what I'm getting at is that I was indoctrinated quite well with music as a pre-adolescent. It basically involved music in the home, treating is like a normal part of life, not this special thing you gotta learn to be a well-rounded individual or something like that. Yes, I largely went away from making music during my teen years, but I've definitely rediscovered and re-inserted it into my life over the past few years. It seems like that must be a common occurance for people who were raised with music the way I was.

My final thought is this: if you want your kids to have music be a big part of their lives, practice what you preach. You can't guarantee that they'll have it in their blood, but you can certainly encourage the tendency. Encourage learning instruments.

I'm not sure whether I would have been happier had I had access to a broader range of musical styles, though I kind of wish I had. I wish I could have known about traditional instruments at an earlier age. I didn't even realize, for instance, that highland pipes were an option until a classmate started learning them in high school. That kind of thing just seemed... I don't know... foreign. I never even knew about more exotic instruments such as uilleann pipes, Irish flute, bodhran, or most any other non-classical instrument. So it might have been nice to be a little more aware of the possibilities, but it also might have just made the choice more dizzying and fraught with peril.

Okay, I guess I'm rambling, so I'll stop now....

-David
(Feverishly playing around with my new Patrick Murray starter set)
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

Yeah, I'm to become a Geordie.... when I went up for my interview, my train was late arriving and I was knackered so I went to the first place selling food I saw which was a Burger King (unfortunately) but I couldn't understand a word the guy working there was saying!

I'm really looking forward to it though (I'm assuming I'll pass my exams :-? ) and my sister's going up for an interview in a couple of weeks - when she heard I'd decided to do it she was really jealous!

She'll be around Tues / Weds night, do you know of any good sessions on those nights (she plays Irish fiddle)?

You never know, I might get to meet some C&Fers one day!

Jo.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I started when I was about 42. Before that I had been listening to generic folk music, playing contradance music, and really never was focused on ITM.

I believe that children who are exposed to a certain kind of music develop a better ear for it than those that don't. But I'm not going to let a simple fact of birth deprive me of the music I've come to love. Its kind of like the person who always wanted to study medicine. "But it will take me 6 years! I'll be 55 by the time I'm done." Well, how old will you be in six years if you DON'T go for it? All I can do it play, practice, listen, and enjoy the whole 9 yards of it.

In re: getting your kids to like what you do musically. . .involve them, but dont make it a chore. Never having had kids myself, I've seen my best friend raise three musically brilliant girls, each of them with their own interests, including show music, classical, swing and Christian music. Not surprising, both parents play something, practice regularly, and participate in their children's musical endeavors.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Jack

Post by Jack »

I found this topic when doing a search, so I'll reply...

I started whistle when I was 18, and I still am 18. I don't play whistle because I like IrTrad (I don't really like it). I try to play just to play something(clarinet is SO hard), and it happens that the whistle is associated with IrTrad, and I've learned a lot about it. Being addicted to whistle and this board has made me want to learn more about Irish flute, bodhran, etc. Admittedly, what drew me to whistle in the first place (Sinéad O'Connor) isn't actually IrTrad at all. Mabey as I get elderly I'll begin to like it.

But Cher is more my bag.

*runs away before she gets beat up for saying that*
Ghoeti

Post by Ghoeti »

I listened to Planxty's first album at the age of 14, then I got all crazy and borrowed a whistle from my buddy. I have now started playing the flute, soon turning 17, and attend to play for another (hopefully) 50 years.
Stay Tuned!!
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

I started playing at 15, which was about 3 years ago.

But if I remember earlier in this topic, someone had said something about how there is a lack of younger celtic musicans. I have to agree, but I don't think that lack is as bad as it was made out to be. I spent 7 days last week at the Community Music School Teen Celtic Music Camp, jamming with celtic musicans from ages 12 all the way up to age 50 (although the older ones were mostly the aides and teachers ;) ). Then again this is the ONLY celtic music camp just for teens in California that I know of....

I believe an interest in celtic music is growing in teenagers. I can't thank enough the Santa Cruz Community Music school, which helped to foster my own interest in playing celtic music.

If you look hard enough there are quite a few celtic CDs out there made by younger musicans. Last year, a CD call California Celt was released, which was made by 7 top notch, college age celtic musicans. And I just bought two new CDs, last week at camp. One is called De Cheadaoin, which is a recording of a band of 15 (!!!!!) celtic musicans all in the age range of 12 to 18. And the other one was a collection of original harp music, by I believe an 17 or 18 year old girl, set to J. R. R. Tolkien's poetry.

So, I hope I didn't sound like an advertisement, but I DO believe there is hope for the next generation of celtic musicans. I find at age 16, going on 17, that I can enjoy going to a Good Charlotte/New Found Glory concert, just as much as going to a Molly's Revenge concert.

Well, I think my fingers have rambled enough.

Caryn[/i]
Dogbert: If life hands you lemons, make lemonade...
Dilbert: But I'm allergic to citrus...
Dogbert: Well, if life hands you lemons, swell up and die.

;) Caryn