Flute Making.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Caspermilktoast
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Flute Making.

Post by Caspermilktoast »

Hello,

I have been making bagpipes ( uilleann, highland and small pipes) for a few years now, and I would like to try to make a flute. I am interested in plans for a Rudall type instrument. I would also need some ideas on technique and how to do some of the things, so a book would help too. I did some research and not much is coming up besides Terry Mcgees plans, which I am considering buying. So if any one can help push me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
hpinson

Re: Flute Making.

Post by hpinson »

Terry's plans are really quite excellent. I suspect you would not regret the purchase.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I bought a set of Pratten plans from Terry and it was totally worth it. Invaluable reference material.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

The best thing to have is a actual flute from the period to use as reference.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Jon C. wrote:The best thing to have is a actual flute from the period to use as reference.
I'm not starting an argument here, but wouldn't it be best to have a "modern" flute, with all tuning quirks (hopefully) ironed out already?
I couldn't make a flute to save my life, just thinking that i'd rather copy an Olwell or a Hammy..
Cheers!
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:
Jon C. wrote:The best thing to have is a actual flute from the period to use as reference.
I'm not starting an argument here, but wouldn't it be best to have a "modern" flute, with all tuning quirks (hopefully) ironed out already?
I couldn't make a flute to save my life, just thinking that i'd rather copy an Olwell or a Hammy..
Cheers!
You bring up an interesting set of ethical issues. It is generally frowned upon to slavishly and openly copy a currently operating maker. Better, for example, to copy a modern maker who is apparently not currently actively making flutes. . .for example Sam Murray :moreevil: Of course you might want to use properly seasoned timber. . . :moreevil: :moreevil:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Copying active maker's flutes to make actual money from it is very bad practise IMO. Of course just copying alone doesn't make the copy a flute equally good as the original, but still...you just don't do that. Not really sure if it's OK to copy a flute one already bought for oneself, for having a backup, keep one in another flat, the car or whatever...
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I make a wide variety of flutes, and I can speak from both ends of the argument because I have learned a lot of my craft from examining the work of other makers (both past and present) and I've often had my work copied by other makers who are tying to learn.

I don't think there is anything morally wrong with copying as long as someone doesn't buy a flute from me just to copy it and then send it back (which to my knowledge has never happened). I've had a few people write to me and ask me point blank to provide them with all of the information they need to make a flute, with no offer of compensation, and that's not very cool either.

It's nice to have someone who is going to copy buy the flute from me, because they are supporting me in the process and sort of paying the toll, so to speak. However, sometimes people want to make their own flute because they don't have the money to buy one, in which case that isn't an option.

But I've copied flutes (to make actual money, since that's what I do for a living). In many cases, it is the only feasible starting point, and it's pretty safe to say the the flute maker that I've copied has copied someone in their turn. It is how information gets passed along. So while I don't expect people to write to me and just ask me to give them my measurements and such for free, I don't get upset when someone copies my work (even blatantly). After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :-)
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

I had someone show up here once who showed me a flute he had made in Delrin, copied from an Olwell. The flute he had made was no Olwell. Far from it.

I also get the occasional requests from wannabe flute makers to reveal my "secret formula" for tone hole placement. My answer is always "trial and error" without going into any detail which is true. But also to look at the old instruments if they can access one, and measure these up. This is actually quite easy these days of one is willing to spend a few bucks on eBay. I even did that last year, grabbing a nice mid-19th century F flute made somewhere in Europe that is now my basis for Requintas (Galician flutes) in F and G. I paid only $275 and its a decent instrument. 6 keyed.

I have occasionally inspected and even measured the flutes of my contemporaries - just to see what they are doing and possibly what they are basing their designs on. But this has not influenced my designs as my designs simply work better for me.

Casey
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Casey Burns wrote:I had someone show up here once who showed me a flute he had made in Delrin, copied from an Olwell. The flute he had made was no Olwell. Far from it.
This sums up the situation very accurately. Having blueprints or a flute to copy is just the beginning and by no means assures a quality flute. Probably the biggest "secret" to flute making is that the makers have to be relentless perfectionists and tireless experimenters. :-)
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I am sending him a copy of my flute plans, they have been modified to play better in 440hz. It is still nice to have a reference flute, so you can see how it was originally done, and go from there. Especially if you are going to eventually make a keyed flute. I have measured quite a few flutes, both modern and original, I prefer to go back to the source, Like Henry Wylde, especially when working out the embouchure cutting. If you are just making a Pratten style flute, it wouldn't much matter if you copy a original or contemporary maker, as they all sound the same... :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

Thanks everyone for the tips. Jon C has been especially generous and helpful, Thanks!

Like I said, I make pipes and the reeds that go with them, so plans and dimensions will only get you so far, its about getting a feel - trial and erro, may years. Instrument making is hobby of mine I am not expecting to make an Olwell quality instrument my first go ( or any go unless im lucky).
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hmmmmmm.......
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

One of the important and neglected skills I'd recommend working on is measuring.

You should kit yourself out with a bunch of measuring probes to be able to accurately measure the bore of a flute and then learn to understand why the bore is shaped like it is.

I make uilleann pipes and I have detailed measurements of about 15 D chanters alone. I've been lucky to have had the chance to play most of these chanters so I can compare the bore numbers on a sheet to how the chanter plays in my hands.

So I'd recommend getting your hands on as many flutes and sets of measurements as you can.
Especially the ones from the first half of the 19 century.
Apart from copyright issues, there's almost no point in copying an Olwell or a Wilkes without knowing why an Olwell or a Wilkes is designed the way they are.

Best of luck and keep us posted!!

Tommy
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Tommy: I am not picking a fight here mind you, but.. What's the point of copying an antique flute without knowing why they were designed the way they were? Shrunk/distorted bores aside.. :)
I'm really just saying if you're starting from zero, i can't see how one would be better than the other..
Peace bro :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood