A thought on practice

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

A thought on practice

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm just wrapping up a mammoth (for me) 3 and half hour practice session on flute.

Now, I wonder, have I made any progress in that time? I've played lots, and have half learnt half a dozen tunes. Yet I'm frustrated. Simply because there's nothing really to show for the time and effort. At the end of that 3 and half hours, I can't play any tune now that I couldn't before. The tone got pretty good today ('good tone day') after about 10 minutes of playing and has stayed at that level - better than average for me - all the way through my practice session. (For Jem's sake, I'll point out that, on 'good tone' days like today I don't do that humming into the flute thing any more. :wink: ) My low D crans started nice, and stayed nice. So I suppose that's a good sign.

But there are no new, fully learnt tunes, and the tone and technique isn't better at the end than at the beginning.

I have no idea what my question should be here. But fire away anyway. :)
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: A thought on practice

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Ask someone you haven't met in a good while how *e finds your playing. I bet you a tenner *e will say 'Wow, you've really made some nice progress!'
When you're alone on that endless learning road you don't seem to get anywhere but that's mostly in your own mind. Just keep it up!
:thumbsup:
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Thanks Lars. Very encouraging. I might just do that. I have a victi ... sorry, candidate ... in mind. :poke: :wink:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:Thanks Lars. Very encouraging. I might just do that. I have a victi ... sorry, candidate ... in mind. :poke: :wink:
Poor Deb.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Thanks Lars. Very encouraging. I might just do that. I have a victi ... sorry, candidate ... in mind. :poke: :wink:
Poor Deb.
Actually, I was thinking of you. :)
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

benhall.1 wrote:I'm just wrapping up a mammoth (for me) 3 and half hour practice session on flute. <snip> I've played lots, and have half learnt half a dozen tunes. <snip>
But there are no new, fully learnt tunes <snip>
So however long it takes you to learn them fully isn't that 3 1/2 hours down the road and isn't that good? Will your tone be better tommorow because of it?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I'm just wrapping up a mammoth (for me) 3 and half hour practice session on flute. <snip> I've played lots, and have half learnt half a dozen tunes. <snip>
So however long it takes you to learn them fully isn't that 3 1/2 hours down the road and isn't that good? Will your tone be better tommorow because of it?
Well, that's the thing, isn't it? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. This flute malarkey is all so intangible somehow. (I mean, not the flute itself, obviously - that's tangible enough. :wink: ) What if I'm at just the same level as today, or, heaven forfend, worse? I'll let you know ...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:I'm just wrapping up a mammoth (for me) 3 and half hour practice session on flute.
I guess the unasked question is: why? What motivated you to such an extended (and presumably unusual) practice session in the first place?

If you think you just haven't been playing enough lately to keep up your flute chops to your satisfaction, then the time spent is its own mission accomplished.

If you were focusing on specific technical issues*, then you can probably judge for yourself whether you made any progress.

*(or ended up focusing on specific technical issues - which is what usually happens to me when I sit down for an open-ended toot/squeeze/pick)

If you ended up with a half dozen almost learned tunes, you're an experienced enough player for me to guess that that's basically what you intended. And nothing wrong with that. The next time you come back to them they'll be there, waiting for you to flesh them out. If you'd wanted to fully learn a new tune or two, you certainly would/could have done that instead.

If you just wanted to waste half a day noodling stuff, have some fun, and to hell with the rest ... welcome to the club. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh that's all very reasonable ... but I want to be TOTALLY BRILLIANT ...

NOW!!!

:D
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:
Poor Deb.
Actually, I was thinking of you. :)
Hmmmmm.
Surely not! I'd never have expected that......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

clark wrote:A band mate sent me this.
https://www.facebook.com/clark.ratliffe ... 3025732353
Your link doesn't work for me clark ...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

It worked for me.... You obviously need to practice...... more..........
Try this:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Ah. That one.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
david_h wrote:
Well, that's the thing, isn't it? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. This flute malarkey is all so intangible somehow. (I mean, not the flute itself, obviously - that's tangible enough. :wink: ) What if I'm at just the same level as today, or, heaven forfend, worse? I'll let you know ...
I recall once reading something on Matt Molly referring to having bad tone days himself. "A wayward instrument", I believe was his pronouncement on the flute.

If it's any comfort, anyway...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician