Newbie question regarding picking up the flute

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Newbie question regarding picking up the flute

Post by plunk111 »

You might try going to a festival/gathering - there are usually vendors present (at least there are out here in the east). I found a lot of festivals in Northern California at this site: http://www.sfcelticmusic.com/festivals.htm

There are probably more if you "dig" a bit.

Good luck in your journey!

Pat

P.S. I am one of the "whistle to flute" crowd... Got back to whistle about 7 years ago, tried a low-D, and "graduated" to the flute. I now play a John Gallagher 8-key! The journey to this flute was a bit convoluted, but I've got to say that the experience was worth it and the end result (although pretty expensive) was worth all the learning curves on the way!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Feadoggie wrote:If you can spend a little bit more, consider a proper conical bore starter flute. And it is not quite like jumping into the deep end of the pool like buying a blackwood flute might be. We're talking ~$300-$400-ish here. There are many to consider. We've mentioned the Copley and the Somers flutes. We should probably also mention the Walt Sweet Shannon flute and the Casey Burns Folk Flute. The conical bore gives you several advantages as you are learning. It shortens the span across the holes. It also helps adjust the octaves and solves the issue that the Fajardo wedge tries to address. And it sounds more like and respond more like a proper wooden flute. All of these are keyless. All are short foot models except the Somers.The Copley, Somers and Sweet Shannon are delrin. That's tough, durable stuff and should last longer than either of us will. The Burns Folk Flute is wood and would need some extra care. Any of these flutes are designed and made well enough for you to play no matter how well your skills develop. They are that good. They will be easier to learn on, IMO. Second hand purchases of these flutes are fine - if you can find them. These makers offered very good flutes to start with. Nothing else to consider there. The skills you develop on these instruments are directly applicable to any other higher-cost wooden flute you might want to move to later, should you decide to do that.
Have to say I agree with all of this except the term 'starter flute' (which I don't like at all). So, sure, they're great for starters/beginners, but some might see hints of limitation in the label when they're also quality instruments you'll never grow out of and targeted every bit as much at skilled/experienced players. But of course you know this, which just leaves the problem of what we call them. And I've really no idea, though 'inexpensive', 'no frills' or 'bare-bones' (none of which I particularly like) all strike me as more appropriate than 'starter', with 'bare-bones quality resin [or wood]' perhaps closer to the mark. But then who'd say 'a [proper] bare-bones quality resin or wood conical bore flute'?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Peter Duggan wrote:Have to say I agree with all of this except the term 'starter flute'
Right. I couldn't agree more. I was trying to describe it as an "inexpensive but good enough for the rest of your life flute" and failed. Should have used another descriptor.
Billgh wrote:So if anyone has something they'd like to sell, or have any leads on something along the lines of what you've advised me to look at that would be great. A Sweet flute sounds about ideal, but all of the makers recommended seem to be OK. And in doing further research I've found that all of them seem to be better than the Dixon flute, even their Delrin model, So I'll forgo Dixon's and keep my eye open.
I think what we are trying to get across is that the recommended flutes are all quite a bit more than OK. They're good flutes - full stop.

I have two of the three piece Dixon delrin flutes here myself (and many more). I may be selling them off shortly. They are one of the flutes I used to recommend as a first flute, particularly for those with smaller hands and fingers. And I believe they are still good for that purpose but they are not the best and easiest flute to start out on. If you had said you have small hands I would have recommended one. I still feel they are good for young players. They have smaller holes and are quieter than the others. They are also less expensive to begin with. My reservation with them these days is that the embouchure is also smallish and requires more focus than the others to get a strong tone. But, and this is big but, if you can come to terms with the embouchure on a Dixon you will have no issue moving on to another flute. They also make a good second flute or travel flute - small, light, indestructable, etc. So are the Copley, Somers, Shannon, and Folk Flute and they are better flutes all around. I still play the Dixon to tighten up my own embouchure - and it doesn't hurt the ears as much as a fife. ANyway if you stumble across a DIxon don't dismiss it if the price is right. But it will be a challenge. You could certainly do worse.

Do avoid the cheaper Dixon polymer flutes if you can. While they have improved over time, particularly by adding the lip plate, they are still not anywhere near as useful as a Tipple flute. I've got a couple of those Dixons in keys besides D. They work but there's little to recommend about them really, IMO.

There are other less expensive flutes we could talk about as well. M&E comes to mind for one. All of these will have there supporters. But I think the ones recommended already have a bit of an edge o n the others.

Don't give up on the whistle. Remember, on the days when your embouchure is not happening with the flute that the whistle can still do the job of playing the music. Have fun.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Billgh

Post by Billgh »

I was looking around on past posts and saw that the Dixon is a decent flute but not up to the standards of the others. And I definitely won't give up the whistle. It is too much fun. As to the Nor Cal festivals I see the Scottish Games listed here in Pleasanton, my home town. I've never gone so I guess this year will be a first.

And I'm definitely going to get my grandson a whistle. I got him a uke a year ago, and he's only 18 months now. Frankly he's probably more suited to drums at the moment. But, believe me, I encourage his noise making in all areas. :D

There is a Dixon low D whistle in aluminum with a flute head on ebay for $90 buy it now plus shipping currently. I've been looking at that and was considering but think I'll pass at present unless you say otherwise. Thanks.

Bill
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Billgh wrote:There is a Dixon low D whistle in aluminum with a flute head on ebay for $90 buy it now plus shipping currently. I've been looking at that and was considering but think I'll pass at present unless you say otherwise. Thanks.Bill
Yes, that's precisely what you should avoid. If you can shell out $300-$400, you'll get a great flute that will serve you well for decades. And buying a good one off the bat is cheaper than buying one for $90 now and one for $300 later…
The Irish Flute Store is a good place to shop, by the way. http://www.irishflutestore.com
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'll second the recommendation of a Casey Burns flute. They're a very good value.

I started out, back in the 1970s, on a Ralph Sweet flute, and his flutes in maple are decent players for an excellent price.

I would prefer either of those over a cylindrical-bore flute (a flute made out of straight tubing).

Then there are excellent-playing Irish flutes made out of delrin/polypenco like the Forbes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Billgh

Post by Billgh »

The Irish Flute store has a few used Sweetheart flutes as well as a couple of preowned Casey Burns flutes. I've left a message to discuss the relative merits of each with Blayne. I may end up with a purchase tomorrow. I was targeting a low D whistle and will probably get one as well, just perhaps not as high end as I'd planned. Or maybe, God forbid, I'll sell a guitar. Then I could jump up in quality all around. I used to buy and sell guitars and mandolins with some regularity. In the last several years, however, I've kind of settled on some instruments I really enjoy. Culling the herd, as they say, is not as easy as it once was. Anyway, thanks for your advice. I'm sure I'll be asking for more as time goes on.

Bill
Billgh

Post by Billgh »

Well I was never able to reach the Irish Flute Store. I'm not sure if they are open during the week or perhaps only on weekends. Anyway I went back onto eBay and couldn't resist so I bought a used Cochran. The pictures were just too beautiful. It is roughly 5 years old (according to the listing) in blackwood with silver trim. I made an offer and the seller accepted. It should be here in a few days. It will probably be a couple of years before I can play it with any reasonable skill, but it will be a challenge and I'm looking forward to it. I went a little deeper than I had planned, but I really like wood and who doesn't like silver? And I put a guitar on Craigslist shortly after so maybe the wife won't be too upset. Except when I practice. :D

Thanks everyone for your help. So I'll now be learning the whistle and the flute at the same time with a little whistle head start. I'll let you all know how it goes and if this was a good idea sometime after I've got some clue. And even then YMMV, as they say.

Bill
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C.'s Cochran flutes are a good choice, monk-made. I just cut some foam for a case for mine, a Rudall Rose style. Yours looks in good shape. Should it ever require any maintenance, though, Jon is on this forum, and living now down in the Escondido, CA area.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

If you got that one for the asking price, or anything close, you got a heck of a bargain. Just a couple of things to watch out for. Wood flutes, especially those with slides, need to be kept properly humidified, so watch out in the winter with central heat, or summer if kept in an air conditioned room. Keep flute disassembled (except slide) when not playing. And get a competent instrument repair person to address the cork joints. Use of Teflon tape on a wooden flute for a long term solution on loose joints is not typically a great idea (not because it doesn't work, but because it can lead to assembly with too much force on the socket).

Best of luck with your journey. I think you made a great choice of flute to start with. At least you will know that it isn't the instrument that is holding you back, and if you don't take to playing you will most likely be able to recoup your investment.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Billgh

Post by Billgh »

Thanks. I do live in Northern California where the humidity stays pretty constant at @ 40-50% throughout the year and we don't usually use air conditioning and, in the winter, we can usually open the windows during the day and air out the house as it is often in the low to mid 60's. So it is a pretty good climate in which to keep wooden musical instruments, but I will keep this properly oiled and will look around for an instrument repair person to address the cork. Or better yet, if kkrell has Jon C.'s contact information or knows how I can get it I can contact him directly to deal with that. I occasionally get down that way. I can't wait to get the flute. BTW is Jon a monk of some kind or is that a flute term that I don't understand?

Bill
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Billgh wrote:Thanks. I do live in Northern California where the humidity stays pretty constant at @ 40-50% throughout the year and we don't usually use air conditioning and, in the winter, we can usually open the windows during the day and air out the house as it is often in the low to mid 60's. So it is a pretty good climate in which to keep wooden musical instruments, but I will keep this properly oiled and will look around for an instrument repair person to address the cork. Or better yet, if kkrell has Jon C.'s contact information or knows how I can get it I can contact him directly to deal with that. I occasionally get down that way. I can't wait to get the flute. BTW is Jon a monk of some kind or is that a flute term that I don't understand?
Congratulations on the new flute. One of my Dixon's has a head, including a tuning slide, that was made by Jon. As has been said, Jon is a member here. He's more likely to be caught over on the flute forum. So you might be able to catch him with a PM. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=522

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Billgh wrote:Or better yet, if kkrell has Jon C.'s contact information or knows how I can get it I can contact him directly to deal with that. I occasionally get down that way. I can't wait to get the flute. BTW is Jon a monk of some kind or is that a flute term that I don't understand?
Bill
Feadoggie already gave you the link to Jon's profile here on C&F, and he's on Facebook as Jon Cornia ( https://www.facebook.com/cochranflutes ). And yes, he's a monk (or member, or whatever) at the Self-Realization Fellowship ( http://www.yogananda-srf.org/ ) founded in 1920 by Paramahansa Yogananda. He was formerly living at the HQ in Los Angeles, but is now at the facility that I think is in Encinitas, about 100 miles South of Los Angeles.
Billgh

Post by Billgh »

Thanks Feadoggie and Kkrell. Unfortunately I don't yet have PM privileges for whatever reason, but I see his email is in his profile and I'll take a look at his Facebook page as well. I also found a respected instrument repair service in San Francisco, Deitch's. On the other hand I also see that replacing the cork on a flute isn't a difficult operation, at least says some people on the board. I need to get the instrument in my hands first to see if it needs replacing and then make a decision from there. I definitely don't want to do anything to damage it so I'll tread carefully. And the Self Realization Fellowship Jon's involved in sounds both enlightening and psychically soothing. I could probably use a little of both in my life at this point, but just a little. Everything in moderation.

Bill
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Billgh wrote:Unfortunately I don't yet have PM privileges for whatever reason, but I see his email is in his profile and I'll take a look at his Facebook page as well.
Funny, there's a PM icon below all your posts, which means we can send PMs to YOU! Thus, you should be able to go to your message center and read them, I would hope. I'll try sending you one. You're in my Outbox now, waiting for you to be notified to pick up.

When you're logged into the C&F forum (to post), after the main header you should see a Logout [ Billgh ] button, and next to it an icon saying how many messages you have. You should be able to click on that "0 new messages" line and go to your inbox, etc. The link is also ucp.php?i=pm&folder=inbox