OT: What's the easiest string instrument?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: What's the easiest string instrument?

Post by Jack »

I want to play a string instrument, after I get about 20 more whistles that I want, so it will be a while before I get it, but I like to have opinions and have an idea of what I'm going to get a long time before so when I do actually get it, I know a little bit about what I'm doing. I want something relatively easy to play simply.

I actually have an accoustic guitar that's lost that I got when I was about 13, but I never played it. Guitars are just too...normal, though.

Opinions?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Mandolin , to me , is kinda like whistle-

It's as complex or as simple as you want it to be.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
bdatki

Post by bdatki »

Mountain dulcimer and autoharp come to mind. Both are seemingly simple to sound decent on, but both can sound amazing in an expert hands (If you have ever seen or heard Mike Seeger with an autoharp (or a mountain dulcimer too, actually) you know what I mean).

Frailing (also known as clawhammer, rapping the banjo, etc) the five-string banjo is not too hard once you get the basic motion down, although it does confuse many people initially. The motion itself is really not hard though and you can add embellishments such as double thumbing or what have you later on. Mostly goes with old-time Appalachian music, although some people have modified it to be more melodic, and I have heard people playing Irish music this way (I don't much care for it myself). Frailing is great fun, sounds very good solo (its like you have a full band, unlike Scruggs (three finger bluegrass picking) where you need a strong rhythm section). It is most probably the oldest style of playing the banjo.

Wow, I use parentheses too much.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

If I were going to take up a string instrument, it would be the mountain dulcimer. It's a beautiful instrument, both in sound and appearance, and it's not supposed to be too awfully difficult for a beginner. (My dad played guitar rather well, but my fingers just couldn't do it.)
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Simple?
The Chinese Morin Khur sounds like the way to go, it only has 2 strings... except their about $600. That should cure your Whoa for a while.
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

Good call Tony!

I was just gonna say, "Get an erhu," although I've never played one myself...

Joey
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I know of no simpler string instrument than a bowed psaltery. They have a beautiful, ethereal sound, and good ones range in price from around $150 to $400. Check out instruments by James Jones, Jerry Read Smith, and Omega Strings (Richard Spencer). Range goes from 2 octaves (small) through 2.5 octaves (standard) to 3 octaves (large). All are chromatic...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Unless you can find a washbasin base somewhere (one string), that'd be the mountain dulcimer. 3,4, or six strings, arranged in three groups. Two sets (on a four string, two strings) are drones and the third string or pair are the melody strings. You play it on your lap or a tabletop, pressing the fret on the melody strings with your finger or a noter and strumming the entire string set. Believe me, it sounds more complicated than it is.

What I've described is the traditional or simple playing style. More advanced players often play chords by fretting all three string sets, much like but still simpler than playing a guitar. Of course, this method sacrifices the drones that in my opinion give the mountain dulcimer a large part of its charm.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

My vote would have to rest with the Mando. I just took it up myself, and am having a blast with it... (my fiddle and my whistles are feeling very neglected, I'm sure... :roll: ) Relatively easy, you can play melody, counter-melody, back up, as well as do some percussive things with the tone.

Very fun. :)
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Easiest stringed instrument? Strum stick. Hands down.

Here is one link for them:

http://stovermusic.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There is this to be said for guitar.
With about three or four chords and
a simple strum or finger pick, you can play
or accompany hundreds of tunes
simply and beautifully.
serpent

One-string

Post by serpent »

Standard American tramp instrument, the "one string". Made from a length of 2X4, two nails, bit of wire, and a paint can. You use a stick to beat on the string, and the neck of a whiskey bottle as a slide.

Do a Google search on "One String Blues". It's the stringed-instrument equivalent of the slide whistle.
Have fun! :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I believe the "Diddley Bow" is one of your older and simpler stringed instruments. In Africa I think the Diddley Bow would have been accompanied by a cane flute with three or more holes. This combination lent itself to a particular riff that crept into rock and roll as the "Bo Dibbley Beat" and was the basis of innumerable hits by the immortal Bo Diddley.

Tom D.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

tyghress wrote:Easiest stringed instrument? Strum stick. Hands down.

Here is one link for them:

http://stovermusic.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi
The version of the strumstick that is shaped somewhat like the bouzouki, is especially appealing. Cedar Creek Dulcimer Company, in Branson, ( http://www.cedarcreekdulcimers.com ) sell an inexpensive version for the same price as an original Strumstick. I've not seen them online, but tried one in their store. Definitely an easy and fun instrument. Or for a higher end one, that looks great, there is the Olympia Walkabout Dulcimer ( http://www.olywa.net/olydulcimer/ ). These are really just diatonic bouzoukia.

Of course the mandolin, mandola, and bouzouki aren't all that hard to start off on. Both the bouzouki and the Appalachian dulcimer have about the same string length and gauge, so sound a little alike, anyway.

I started on mandolin, as string instruments go, and play the Appalachian lap dulcimer, the octave mandola, and the bouzouki. The OM and bouzouki play about the same method, but the bouzouki has a longer neck, and thus requires more of a stretch.

My sister (a very beginner) definitely prefers the ease and sound of the bouzouki.
Reasonable person
Walden
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

The YO-YO :D

You can't play it as a musical instrument, but could use it to threaten bodhran and box players that are playing to fast :lol: :lol:

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.