Sessions in Ireland

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Sessions in Ireland

Post by brewerpaul »

We're finally going to Ireland! The college where my wife teaches is running a 9 day tour which should be a good way to at least get a taste of the country. On some of the evenings we're on our own as far as entertainment goes and naturally I'd love to find a few good open pub sessions. We'll be staying in Dublin,Waterford,Killarney and Galway and the tour will be in mid August.
Would it be worth schlepping a mandolin around in addition to a couple of whistles?
Are these sessions generally friendly to outsiders?
I'd welcome any and all information and advice.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Sessions in Ireland

Post by benhall.1 »

Depends on the session, but most are friendly, welcoming places. The usual places in Dublin might suit, but it depends on the particular day. The Cobblestone, Hughes's and, for a different, somewhat touristy feel, O'Donoghue's, are always good. Some sessions at The Cobblestone are really gigs though. (Well, they all are, but quite a few are welcoming as well.) Hughes's in the snug is friendly, and in the main bar is top-class, but you might be listening rather than playing in the main bar.

It's years since I've been to Galway, but when I was last there, you could hardly move for friendly sessions. Killarney has a few touristy sessions - gigs staged for the benefit of tourists - and some nice ones, but I can't remember where/when they are. And I don't know Waterford at all.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

brewerpaul wrote: ...a 9 day tour...
Much better than a 3 hour tour.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

We are also going on a nine day tour of Ireland June 18 through June 25 as members in the local community college choir. Scheduled to have dinner at the Brazen Head Pub June 24 Tuesday, and there is music entertainment. Looking at their website there is session music on Sunday afternoons. http://www.brazenhead.com/events/view.php?id=77 Could not tell if the session is open or for watching and listening only.

How ever they did say this about the Sunday session.

Quote ''Every night we have a host of talented bands playing. Easily our most popular music event is our fantastic Sunday afternoon session from 3.30 - 6.30pm. A band provide the music allowing some of our more talented customers to get a chance to sing their song. If you think you might be up for the challenge get here early on a Sunday and you could end up on X-Factor!'' Quote
Last edited by Tommy on Thu May 08, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Here is a session list from another site. I can't verify how up-to-date the listings are. Hopefully this helps. Enjoy your trip.
http://tradconnect.com/page/ireland-sessions-listing
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

ytliek wrote:Here is a session list from another site. I can't verify how up-to-date the listings are. Hopefully this helps. Enjoy your trip.
http://tradconnect.com/page/ireland-sessions-listing
That is a very extensive list you found.
Thanks
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

You'll be welcome in the Cobblestone most nights (early/slow session from 8pm Monday) if you have a listen, decide whether you're up for it, and ask if you can join in. If you play nicely Tom will get his flute out and buy you a pint. Worth the walk to escape the horrors of Temple Bar, get a cab back.

Galway has bags of sessions in August every day, early and late, more Spanish, French, German, American and Japanese musicians than Irish in most of them. Western Hotel on a Thursday evening is friendly and unfussy (and a bit of sean nos dancing). Sunday afternoon at the Crane bar with Sean Ryan, Monday session. Or drive out to Spiddall, or down to Kinvara. Sessions in the West don't get going much before 10pm.
Mark
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

MarkP wrote:You'll be welcome in the Cobblestone most nights (early/slow session from 8pm Monday)

Cobblestone looks like my kind of place.
http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8
However we will be in Cork, Kinsale area June 22 Sunday. And Monday riding the bus to Dublin with several stops along the way. Tuesday on a bus tour of Dublin and then a free time morning Wednesday. Hmmmm.... Wednesday afternoon we are scheduled to tour the Guinness storehouse. Looks to be a 17 minute walk from Cobblestone to the Guinness storehouse. Tuesday we will have dinner at the Brazen Head Pub, and Wednesday dinner at the Merry Ploughboy Pub.

Thank you for the suggestions.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

If you're in Kinsale, there used to be a famous session at The Spaniard, Scilly. I have no other information than that, though. Kinsale is a beautiful place, and there are definitely sessions around there. You'd find one, I'm sure.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

benhall.1 wrote:If you're in Kinsale, there used to be a famous session at The Spaniard, Scilly. I have no other information than that, though. Kinsale is a beautiful place, and there are definitely sessions around there. You'd find one, I'm sure.
Looking at our itinerary we arrive in Cork June 21 Saturday and our choir will perform its first concert. They have not let us know where that will be though yet. Looks like we stay two nights in Cork and on Sunday we will have some leisure time in Kinsale. I did find The Spaniard, Scilly. http://thespaniard.ie/ :thumbsup: Looks to be large enough to feed any crowd.
Then Monday 23 we leave for Dublin with several stops along the way.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

If you're in Cork and looking for a session on Saturday, I'd recommend the Spailpin Fanach. Actually, they have music there every night, and it's generally quite good, but I say Saturday because if you're going on the 21st then that's a night I'll be in there :D . Fair bit of singing going on, too, so if you do come and you're in a choir, you might want to prepare yourself to join in. Did you find out where your performances are in Cork?

The Sin E has a session on most nights, and in fact the Saturday one is earlier in the evening, so if you're around you could go to that one and be out by 9.30 in time for some other session. The Corner House usually also has something going on, and Sundays I believe the Oliver Plunkett has a session on.

+1 for the Cobblestone, although I've been there a couple times when the lads leading seem to be more interested in playing obscure tunes amongst themselves rather than open it up. Actually, I think it was the same group, but different nights of the week, so I'm not sure. But the music's always good, and most of the times I've been there the session has been welcoming.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

bigsciota wrote:If you're in Cork and looking for a session on Saturday, I'd recommend the Spailpin Fanach. Actually, they have music there every night, and it's generally quite good, but I say Saturday because if you're going on the 21st then that's a night I'll be in there :D . Fair bit of singing going on, too, so if you do come and you're in a choir, you might want to prepare yourself to join in. Did you find out where your performances are in Cork?
Thank you for the suggestions Bigsciota. We still don't know our hotels or places for concerts yet. Only the cities and dates. I found the website of the Sailpin Fanach and if time permits perhaps a few of us may pop in.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

although I've been there a couple times when the lads leading seem to be more interested in playing obscure tunes amongst themselves rather than open it up.
That comment really goes to the nature of sessions and the expectations you carry in with you. A 'session' can be many things to many people.

Do you want musicians in a venue to be there and play music as they would among friends (you know, the 'real' non touristy thing), and you need to realise there that one man's obscure tune can be another man's common stock from the local repertoire, or do you want a group of hired musicians to be there to carry you along while you roll off the tunes you already know. Given the location, the Cobblestone, it would be unrealistic to expect musicians sitting there to cater for the incoming visitor and play a full complement of tunes from 'Irelands 100 favourite session tunes'.

Sometimes it's a lot nicer to just sit back and let the locals play and enjoy listening to stuff you don't know, played well.
My brain hurts

crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

benhall.1 wrote:If you're in Kinsale, there used to be a famous session at The Spaniard, Scilly. I have no other information than that, though. Kinsale is a beautiful place, and there are definitely sessions around there. You'd find one, I'm sure.
I stayed across the street from the Spaniard last April, and dropped in every night I was there. There really isn't a session anymore, unless it's spontaneous, but they often have entertainment. It's actually quite a small place, long and narrow. But it's cozy, friendly and VERY ancient-feeling. Really a piece of history! Go there and bring an instrument just in case.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
although I've been there a couple times when the lads leading seem to be more interested in playing obscure tunes amongst themselves rather than open it up.
That comment really goes to the nature of sessions and the expectations you carry in with you. A 'session' can be many things to many people.

Do you want musicians in a venue to be there and play music as they would among friends (you know, the 'real' non touristy thing), and you need to realise there that one man's obscure tune can be another man's common stock from the local repertoire, or do you want a group of hired musicians to be there to carry you along while you roll off the tunes you already know. Given the location, the Cobblestone, it would be unrealistic to expect musicians sitting there to cater for the incoming visitor and play a full complement of tunes from 'Irelands 100 favourite session tunes'.

Sometimes it's a lot nicer to just sit back and let the locals play and enjoy listening to stuff you don't know, played well.
Nothing against listening, I do it all the time. The OP's question was about "open" sessions, so I just wanted to make it known that the "openness" of the sessions at the Cobblestone might vary a bit. As for what counts as "obscure," there were others there, obviously regulars, who were also sitting on the sidelines not knowing the tunes. The music was great, and I'd listen to a gig those guys played. But if the OP is looking for a place they can sit down and play along, those nights wouldn't have been good ones to visit the Cobblestone.

That being said, most nights I've been the session has been very open, and regardless, it's a great place for a pint and some tunes, playing or listening.