Curiosity: Loudest wooden flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Hup
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Curiosity: Loudest wooden flute

Post by Hup »

It is exhausting to play that way and it means you have
to practice playing that way all the time to stay in shape for it.
It's just not fun; it's why I've taken a flute-cation the last
few months and sold my Olwell.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

The loudest flute I've played is a Casey Burns Large-Hole model. I could blow super hard in that flute and create a very loud tone.

That said, I play small-holed flutes now and have no problem being heard or projecting a loud enough tone. It really is the player.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It really is.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I have my stunt double play all the loud bits for me.
cory little

Post by cory little »

I might be able to fit the order? I make the Elaphone.. a flared fipple flute, that I believe to have the advantage when it comes to volume. It is actually the characteristic that I believe to be worth the fact that this design does sacrifice some of the second octave. The flared tube works to direct the low note frequencies, in the same way that a didgeridoo does.

Yesterday I had my display at a flute fair where I was the only wooden flute maker, in a room full of silver flutes and piccolos, and I was able to draw eyes from the other side of the room with a couple of my flutes. This being in a room full of discordant scale runs and overtone sampling, almost like a white noise of fluty cartoon sound effects..

http://www.etsy.com/listing/172186552/n ... e_active_2

I have a G minor from this same batch that I think you would like more, because it's even a little louder.
probably my loudest flute?

What key are you looking for?

I'll break you a good deal if your willing to come back here and give me an honest review?
I'm still trying to get my name out there...

corylittle.com
phone works best.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There are many loud things you can try, now that door to random suggestions has been opened:

My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

cory little wrote:I might be able to fit the order? I make the Elaphone.. a flared fipple flute, that I believe to have the advantage when it comes to volume. It is actually the characteristic that I believe to be worth the fact that this design does sacrifice some of the second octave. The flared tube works to direct the low note frequencies, in the same way that a didgeridoo does.

Yesterday I had my display at a flute fair where I was the only wooden flute maker, in a room full of silver flutes and piccolos, and I was able to draw eyes from the other side of the room with a couple of my flutes. This being in a room full of discordant scale runs and overtone sampling, almost like a white noise of fluty cartoon sound effects..

http://www.etsy.com/listing/172186552/n ... e_active_2

I have a G minor from this same batch that I think you would like more, because it's even a little louder.
probably my loudest flute?

What key are you looking for?

I'll break you a good deal if your willing to come back here and give me an honest review?
I'm still trying to get my name out there...

corylittle.com
phone works best.

This is a thread about transverse Irish flutes, if you couldn't tell :lol: .
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Sean Gavin has a real foghorn of a flute, a Grinter I think, but man, he can blow all the windows out of a room when he wants to. We didn't see much of that though; he's much quieter playing with others.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Truth is, if you play too loud at sessions or with other folks in general, it's obnoxious and usually unmusical.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

sligofluter

Post by sligofluter »

I could compare a Lehart, a Hamilton and an Arpha flutes with mi M&E the past weekend, and I have to say that the Hamilton sounded much louder than all other in my hands.

I was surprised not only by the volume of the Hamilton flute, but also its harmonics and richness of nuances that have.

David
Our irish music blog in Spanish: https://theirishflow.com/
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
I am Stephen, I live and play trad music in Cork city since 2002.
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

sligofluter wrote:I could compare a Lehart, a Hamilton and an Arpha flutes with mi M&E the past weekend, and I have to say that the Hamilton sounded much louder than all other in my hands.

I was surprised not only by the volume of the Hamilton flute, but also its harmonics and richness of nuances that have.

David
Thanks for the answer, that's what I mean.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I had a Hammy for awhile, and I would concur with sligofluter. I wasn't surprised by the power of the Hammy -- it's one of the classic powerful Pratten-type flutes. But people don't talk so much about the nuance that it's capable of. For me, its natural sound was kind of the traditional Irish sound in the lower octave, but quite pure in the second octave. I found that it was easy to get the purer sound in the lower octave and the fatter sound in the upper octave.

The only reason I sold it was hand problems. If I knew then what I know now about cortisone shots, I would probably still own it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Right. I found the Hammy a hand full.