calling inventors: we need a flute drone!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

calling inventors: we need a flute drone!

Post by tin tin »

Some of my favorite music involves drones or sympathetic resonance: pipes, of course, also double-stops and brushed adjacent strings on the fiddle, the Hardanger fiddle, the left-hand buttons on accordions...these instruments all have some sort of self-accompaniment/sonic enhancement option.

But what about the flute? How about a foot-pump operated 'accordion' drone or putting a bowed psaltery near the player or attaching an extra flute tube just below the flute that picks up extraneous breath? Let's figure out how to get flutes in on the drone/sympathetic resonance action!
Last edited by tin tin on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: calling inventors: we need a flute drone!

Post by Nanohedron »

My flute will set my idle cittern to ringing, especially when I hit the low D note. I always thought of it as evidence that everything was well in tune, of course, but beyond it being an interesting diversion and more often an intrusion, I hadn't considered drone possibilities before...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Yeah, a DADGAD guitar on my lap will do that, too. But it's pretty soft...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

If one were to go the resonance route like that you'd want some top-notch luthiership to get the sensitivity required for the purpose. And you'd still probably want to mike it at least for stage work, anyway.

Does your guitar sympathetically ring any louder if it's on a stand? That might make some difference.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I realize this is mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I'll bite. Chomp. Ouch.

I always figure that whenever I have a brilliant idea, someone has already done it. Sadly, I'm usually right.

Obviously, aulos-type multipipe flutes have been around for a while (to say the least), though blowing multiple tubes is a bit problematic with a transverse flute.

More fundamentally, you should tighten up your thinking about this. You're describing three very different phenomena: drones (pipes), sympathetic resonance (Hardanger), and momentary harmonic accompaniment (accordion LH, double stops).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tin tin

Post by tin tin »

MTGuru wrote:I realize this is mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I'll bite. Chomp. Ouch.
Well, it's only partially tongue in cheek. I'd really love some sort of sonic augmentation for the flute.
MTGuru wrote:More fundamentally, you should tighten up your thinking about this. You're describing three very different phenomena: drones (pipes), sympathetic resonance (Hardanger), and momentary harmonic accompaniment (accordion LH, double stops).
True, although I'd be up for any of them. Electronics (looping pedals and such) would be one approach, but I'm really curious if there's an acoustic approach, whether it be a drone, sympathetic resonance, or harmonic accompaniment. Given some of the strictures of the transverse flute, this will likely have to be some sort of outboard device.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Tintin wrote:Electronics (looping pedals and such) would be one approach, but I'm really curious if there's an acoustic approach, whether it be a drone, sympathetic resonance, or harmonic accompaniment. Given some of the strictures of the transverse flute, this will likely have to be some sort of outboard device.
Tanpura? Shruti box?
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

Vacuum cleaner with a rheostat for tuning.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Grey Larsen has been using a Shruti Box, like this:

He places (guitar slides?) on the keys, and pumps with his foot.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

kkrell wrote:Grey Larsen has been using a Shruti Box, like this:

He places (guitar slides?) on the keys, and pumps with his foot.

Yeah, I saw a video of the flute maker Billy Miller using something similar. The name of it has slipped my mind, but it's similar to what you have posted. (if not the same thing, but I was thinking it had a different name...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VduVuATcAm8
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kkrell wrote:Grey Larsen has been using a Shruti Box, like this
That looks like a harmonium, not a shruti box, Kevin. Unless those button thingies toward the front are drone selectors.

adamhendey

Post by adamhendey »

If a D drone is all you're after, the 3/4 set app designed by Michael Eskin works pretty well... He essentially recorded samples of his Mike Hubbert drones and regulators, and playing along with the uilleann drone timbre is contextually correct with Irish music (and it sounds pretty good too).
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

MTGuru wrote:
That looks like a harmonium, not a shruti box, Kevin. Unless those button thingies toward the front are drone selectors.
True, the shruti box is similar to a harmonium - same bellows pumping principle, but usually just for droning. It's really a harmonium that is pictured, with the keyboard, and that is similar to what Grey uses.

Maybe if I went to NAMM I'd be able to tell them apart. :lol:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

kkrell wrote:Maybe if I went to NAMM I'd be able to tell them apart. :lol:
Oh, snap.

:lol: (I know, it's not really funny.)

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

MTGuru wrote:
That looks like a harmonium

Harmonium!! That's the word I was looking for and had on the tip of my tongue. That was really bothering me, thanks! :lol: