Is it just me, or does Windows 8 suck?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Is it just me, or does Windows 8 suck?

Post by Nanohedron »

Discuss.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Is it just me, or does Windows 8 suck?

Post by s1m0n »

It's not you. MS announced a month or so ago that the exec in charge of w8 was moving on, and that a rethink is in store for w9. The "We're Microsoft! We can force our install base to learn a new interface whether they want to or not!" philosophy turned out to have one or two minor flaws.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

It's not necessarily an either/or proposition. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Nanohedran

Go to the IObit Start Menu 8 page and download the free program.

It will give you back the Win 7 start menu and boot you directly into the old style desktop at startup.

And no, Windows 8 does not suck :P

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

BigDavy wrote:And no, Windows 8 does not suck :P
I suppose that's true if you're prepared for it. There's a lot that used to be accessible to shlubs like me that's no longer apparent. Shutdown/restart functions are not apparent. I'd call that bad design, pure and simple. Character map isn't apparent. All the things I relied on? Gone from the eye. It's all occult now. No, now you must be initiated into the Mysteries, or too bad for you.

I'll give it a shot yet, but if in the end I find I still can't abide Win8, I'll try going back to Win7. :)

Er...when's Win9 supposed to be out, again?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Windows 95/98 -- good
Windows ME -- bad
Windows XP -- good
Windows Vista -- VERY BAD
Windows 7 -- good
Windows 8 -- pretty darn bad

There's a pattern. I think in the future, I will wait for every other major revision.
Windows 8 presages a lot of disruption in the future, I fear. Ubuntu Linux also tried to combine desktop and tablet interfaces. Apple has opened an app store for its desktop OS which parallels its iPad/iPhone OS. It's going to get harder for old users with the intention of making things easier for new users. sigh.
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

I think it safe to say that even Microsoft recognizes that Windows 8 was a mistake. Windows 8.1 is, in many ways, an apology release.

I have used Windows professionally for decades now and the biggest failing is that nothing in the 8.0 interface is intuitive. I might be willing to put up with that if it made you more productive, but almost every task takes longer too.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Nanohedron wrote:Discuss.
No it doesn't 'suck' - it's stable, fast, works on just about any bit of hardware from the past 5+ years, and (especially since the free 8.1 update) you can use it natively on a desktop machine and hardly see Metro.

Forcing Metro onto desktop users was a huge tactical error that Microsoft are rolling back from as fast as they can. As a touch interface I've not used it enough to comment.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

I got a new notebook with Windows 8 for an early Christmas present and it's the only gift that has caused hours of frustration. One of the worst problems was the blue screen of death caused by Windows Update. It would max out memory and cause the computer to go into a constant reboot cycle. I ended up disabling update and auto reboot. This was after hours on the phone with support and being told to keep on trying something until it works. Oh wait, there was the time that I fired up the computer and couldn't sign on because neither the keyboard or touchpad worked.

Made the switch to Ubuntu a few weeks ago and haven't looked back.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Nanohedron wrote: It's all occult now. No, now you must be initiated into the Mysteries, or too bad for you.
"Occult". Perfect description.

Two different people gave me their new w8 laptops to help set them up. I had to use google to figure out how to power them down. Twice. There are far too many basic functions for which there is no obvious course of action.

I think it would probably make sense on a touch screen, and it can probably be OK on a desktop, but it's really bad on a non-touch laptop. Performing gestures on a track pad isn't intuitive. And don't even try explaining it to someone over the phone.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

swizzlestick wrote:Windows 8.1 is, in many ways, an apology release.
Is Win8.1 notably more user-friendly on a nontouch laptop?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Nanohedron wrote:Is Win8.1 notably more user-friendly on a nontouch laptop?
No, not a lot IMO. It does give you a weak "start button" function in the lower left corner where you can do some things in a similar manner as you did with earlier versions of windows. It helps get you in and out of the desktop in a more familiar manner. Most of the folks here at my house do prefer 8.1 to what 8.0 gives you. It helps soften the UI transition from older versions of Windows a bit. But it is still somewhat like swallowing on an elephant. I could not believe the language that was coming from the mouths of my wife and daughter when they got new laptops with Windows 8.0. So yes, do the 8.1 update... and pray for Win9 to be a winner.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

http://www.winbeta.org/news/people-thin ... inevitable

The above link points to an article on WinBeta showing that searches for %current version of Windows% + 'sucks' are a perennial feature of the landscape. Look at the outcry every time Facebook or Twitter redesign their interface, or indeed the perennial screaming from the linux community whenever their favourite distro moves from gnome to kde or whatever, or when ubuntu brought in the Unity desktop. People don't like change.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Change is great if it's in the right direction, and works.

Every time Facebook changes something it usually involves months of glitches. Then when almost everything is working like it should, they change it again. Not a good way for FB, or anyone to go about it IMO. Granted, most people don't like change, but Windows shouldn't make matters worse by releasing a new OS loaded with security holes and problems within it. If I bought a brand new vehicle it would be fair to expect it to run properly. If the same problem persisted I'd be protected by the lemon law. It seems to me that buying a computer and having it actually work would be a reasonable expectation as a consumer.
Peter_H

Post by Peter_H »

I like Windows 7 and Linux Mint on my machines. Very little experience with Window 8, but I was able to force it to do what I needed done, after a fashion. My worry is what to do with my netbook once XP is no longer supported after the April update. That is what I take when I travel.
Whistles: Clarke D, Waltons C
Guitar: Kramer Farrington 6-string
Keyboards: Yamaha SK-10, Casio CTK-530
Violin: unknown - belonged to my father