Elder and Hemlock Drone Reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Elder and Hemlock Drone Reeds

Post by Lorenzo »

I compared the tone of elder, hemlock, and cane drone reeds. Subtle differences in tone. I like the Water Hemlock drone reeds. The more I read up on dried hemlock, the less worried I am.
Last edited by Lorenzo on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Re: Elder and Hemlock Drone Reeds

Post by ennischanter »

Cool! It's really fascinating what variety of materials can be used.

I think hemlock grows around here. Should I wear gloves while harvesting it? Could a chanter reed be made out of it?

Next, let's try Monkshood! :twisted:
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

ennischanter wrote:I think hemlock grows around here. Should I wear gloves while harvesting it? Could a chanter reed be made out of it?
Hemlock doesn't work for chanter reeds. I tried it yesterday with a copper rolled staple for a C chanter, but when it got down to the scrape, it was too stringy, with dark threads still being uncovered as I got down to the finish. On top of that, it's too hard, kind of like cane that's too hard for uilleann pipes--if you know what I mean. Pretty soon you've got the lips too thin and it's just barely beginning to squawk.

I made a lot of dust trying though, and at times forgot to wash my mouth out, so I'd say the dry dead stuff has lost it's poisonous properties. The danger and greatest concentration is in the root. Avoid fresh green branches, anything that remotely seems alive, or even potentially so. I do like hemlock for drones though. Make sure the dead twigs have reddish colored bark still (not tan) and don't collapse when you pinch them really hard.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

When we were children (sigh), we cut hemlock for peashooters (and used sorbus-berries - "birds´berries" -
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogelbeere
for "amunition"). We used these all afternoon and never even got sick!
I wouldn´t cut lots without work-gloves though.