Nobody knows what a whistle is.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Nobody knows what a whistle is.

Post by Jack »

Yesterday I went to (gasp) Walmart and bought 2 wooden dowels, 3 packs of sticky tack, and a bottle of mineral oil, and the woman who checked me out just looked at me for a little while then when I was handing her the money she said 'What are wooden dowels for?' and I said 'For oiling a wooden pennywhistle.' and of course, 'What's that?' and I just said 'a simpler version of a flute', and when somebody else came behind me in line, I went on, but before I left she said 'I've never heard of that'.

And the other night when I was at the hospital, the nurse asked me when my arms hurt most and I told her when I use the computer or play tinwhistle, and she said 'what's that?'

And three days ago, my aunt said 'that's a recorder just like we used to play in school!'

I don't like people.
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I know the feeling Cranberry, I walked into my local instrument store that has been in business for 45 years and they didn't know what a tin whistle was either! That's Revolting!
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

When I go to a doctor and I think my playing tinwhistle is going to come up I just bring one with me. But ya gotta think ahead. :wink:
Mike
rossmpfc13

Post by rossmpfc13 »

i'll bet that if you beat people with it, they'd remember it.

in the wrong way, but they'd know what it is at least.
-Ross
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Odd. When I mention Irish flute, a number of people have responded, "You mean, like *makes whistleplaying pantomome*?"

The really frustrating thing is getting the same question more than twice from the same people. :roll:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:Odd. When I mention Irish flute, a number of people have responded, "You mean, like *makes whistleplaying pantomome*?"

The really frustrating thing is getting the same question more than twice from the same people. :roll:
Don't take it too hard. I played clarinet, which is certainly a well-known instrument, and just about all of my relatives called it a flute. A good portion of the non-musical populace tend to ascribe the name flute to any perforated wind instrument.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden, what planet am I living on? At sessions I've had people come up and ask if I was playing a clarinet! Seriously! "Well, I thought because it was black, and all..."

Once a young lady, a Boehm player, asked what I was playing, and in fun I told her that I killed an oboe to make it. She got the joke, and now wants to play trad flute. Yay!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

What happened to not using the computer? :wink:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hehe! Cranberry, it just comes with ther territory. Try explaining the Uilleann Pipes. Everyone I work with and in my family know I have been waiting for a set for about 2 & a half years. Most of them still think I'm setting GHBs even though I have shown them all pictures. :lol: I even keep a picture of the model for my set taped to my monitor here at work to help explain... Well, that's how it goes. You've gotta laugh about it. :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Paul :D
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Canberry, think of it as a litmus test. The world is divided into people who play tinwhistle or enjoy irtrad and into the people who have no idea what that cute little black toy is. shudder . . . Now, you want to be hanging out with the first group right? The fact that people don't know what a tinwhistle is simply makes them easier to spot. And think of the joy of meeting another tin whistler when they spot your whistle and begin to shriek in excitment because they're meeting *you*.
There is a little bit of joy in the fact that whistles are not commonplace.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Jack

Post by Jack »

What happened to not using the computer?

addiction:

compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, alcohol(1)) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

1: or internet
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

When I go to my local hardware store to pick up more copper pipe and fittings, I'm automatically a plumber.
And when I go to Wal-Mart to pick up the occasional can of fiberglass resin, I'm automatically an auto body repair man.
And when I go to Sears for new Dremel bits, emery cloth or sanding drums, I'm often asked what I'm working on... and I've learned from experience that I'd better have a whistle with me if I tell anyone the truth. ;)
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

Everybody calls mine my “flute whuch-i-ma-jig.” I don’t mind. I think it’s funny. Then again, I think a good many things are funny that no one else finds amusing at all, so it's probably just me. :)
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Sometimes my whistle is mistaken for a duct flute, flageolet or an end blown fipple flute.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Martin Milner wrote:Sometimes my whistle is mistaken for a duct flute, flageolet or an end blown fipple flute.
Sad, eh?
Reasonable person
Walden