Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Ebay Items

Post by BigDavy »

Ginsberg half set in D - relisted.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
john

Post by john »

do you think the mallony set hasn't sold because he's not well-known?
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It's true that JJ Maloney is not a well known maker, but I think that there are too many sets of pipes currently for sale. There's a glut of instruments.
PJ
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi PJ

Here is another one for the glut.

Tadhg Crowley half set - the seller says it is a 3/4 set, but it is a half set in the pictures. It doesn't look like the scam Crowley set, but who knows.

David
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

It definitely does not look like the scam set. The scam set has that really yellow-orange artificial ivory mounts and the puck on the bass drone is different.
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

The Crowley set pictured for sale is definitely NOT what has unfortunately come to be known as the 'scam' set. The 'scam' set was originally mine, and was sold in 2010 on Ebay to a buyer in Australia. There are pics of it in the 'Sold' section of the Uilleann Obsession classifieds in case anyone ever sees a Crowley set for sale and wants to check.

Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There's one poor photo of a 1/2 set and 3 photos of half finished reeds. The seller probably doesn't know much about pipes (mentions bamboo in the description). Also, the chanter seems to be nickel silver but the rest of the set is brass. It may be that the chanter is a Crowley (or Alf Kennedy) and the drones were added later by another maker.

My scam radar isn't pinging but I'd still be careful before buying.
PJ
PJ

Post by PJ »

Also, the drones look like they're set up for a lefty.
PJ
anima

Post by anima »

PJ wrote:It's true that JJ Maloney is not a well known maker, but I think that there are too many sets of pipes currently for sale. There's a glut of instruments.
I think Peej has hit the nail on the head, between the established makers and the new ones that NPU has fostered over the past few years, combined with the difficulty of the instrument and the number in closets coming out now to be sold - we may have hit a saturation point.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I think someone said here that Clancy played a Maloney set. Does anyone know of this is true?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Jimmy Maloney (1932-1996) was a piper from Clare who lived in Sheffield and made pipes during the 1970's and 1980's
He made the set on ebay.

The Moloney brothers were pipe makers from Kilrush in Clare in the mid 1800's. Willie Clancy played a Moloney set and David Power has a B chanter by Moloney too.

Tommy
PJ

Post by PJ »

ennischanter wrote:I think someone said here that Clancy played a Maloney set. Does anyone know of this is true?
True, but not the same Moloney. Clancy played a flat set made by thomas and Andrew Moloney in the 19th century.
PJ
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Oh. Ha! Ha! :lol:

Silly me! I should've known.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi PJ

The seller took down the listing, I looked at the completed listing and it now says the set is a half set, Alf Kennedy chanter, drones by S Ryan.

David
PJ

Post by PJ »

Who was S Ryan? Not heard of him before.
PJ