The Christmas Confessional

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Christmas Confessional

Post by mutepointe »

I have never watched "It's a Wonderful Life" from start to finish, just bits and pieces.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Katharine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Re: The Christmas Confessional

Post by Katharine »

I've watched it, once, mostly because I had to, and don't get what all the fuss is about... I can think of other Christmas movies I like better.

I don't have a Christmas tree. I also don't really decorate for Christmas. This appalls people and they think I'm some sort of cold terrible person. The truth is that Christmas is a religious holiday for me and as long as I can go to church and see family, that's all I need, and anything that doesn't enhance either of those things for me personally is not necessary for my celebration; the problem is that they assume that because I don't observe in the way they do, the holiday must have no meaning for me at all. Also, I'm not keen on holiday decorations, period, which I see as something I will put out for two weeks and then must store in my limited space for the rest of the year; I already have too much "stuff" and don't need to add to it.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I've seen it; it didn't do much for me.

My favorite holiday films are "Holiday" with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn, and "The Santa Claus" with Tim Allen. Watched the latter with the daughter the other night and was struck yet again with how good it is.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I must have seen half-a-dozen fragments of "It's a Wonderful Life" before I saw the whole thing from start to finish, in order. My enjoyment of the film was less than my delight in finally seeing the complete package. I like it, though. I'm a sucker for films with James Stewart. I might get a copy of "Harvey" for my DVD collection.

In "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman (read this book! Everyone! Anyone!) the main character remarks on a particular TV phenomenon. If you don't watch (for whatever reason) a particular Soap Opera or Comedy Series, when you do stumble across an episode, it's always the same episode. Curious, but certainly true for me, and, I'm glad to see, for others.

I wonder if British TV will be showing "Great Escape" this year? Now that we have a gazillion channels, there isn't the appeal any more. And I don't even have a TV. We will probably watch "My Fair Lady". I've been threatened with "Mary Poppins" which is another film of which I have seen several fragments. I quite liked the book, when I was about twelve. I had to review it in a viva voce for some Elocution Examination at that time. The bits of the film that I've seen haven't succeeded in drawing me in. Meanwhile I've threatened my partner with "Master and Commander". We've graduated from the really feelgood films, like "Totoro" and "Moonstruck" through to "Apaloosa" and "The 13th Warrior". I think if she can handle "The 13th Warrior" and enjoy it, she should like "Master and Commander". Maybe we'll try "Coraline". It's scary, but it's animation scary. This could work.
DVDs I've acquired recently but not got around to watching, include "My life as a Dog", "Let the Right One In" (dig those Swedish flicks!) "THX1138" and "Aida". All of which I have enjoyed, with the exception of the opera. One of those to myself over the holiday break. Yum!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
ggiles

Post by ggiles »

..... I LIKE CHRISTMAS CAKE !!!! :shock:
Whistling Archer

Post by Whistling Archer »

We watch every year Christmas Carol W/ George C Scott as Scrooge, and my fav. Scrooge with Albert Finney, a great movie with some great musical stuff. Im usually not a musical kind of guy,, but the songs are great .

Die Hard 1&2 are also considered Christmas movies because of the time they were set in.
and unfortunately,,, usually have to watch Elf,,, definitely Home Alone, and its a Wonderful Life.

these are all sit down and enjoy the family together movies, well maybe except Die Hard.
Merry Christmas :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I do not like candy canes. To get rid of them, I'll place them in applesauce that I warm up. the candy cane dissolves and adds a nice touch.

I think Bad Santa is one of the best Christmas movies.
白飞梦
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

I'm not sure what it says about me but my 2 favorite Christmastime films are It's a Wonderful Life and the Trailer Park Boys' Dear Santa Claus: Go F*@$ Yourself. The Alastair Sim version of A Christmas Carol is close behind.
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Whistling Archer wrote:Die Hard 1&2 are also considered Christmas movies because of the time they were set in.
Some comedian once remarked that he liked to watch "Die Hard" backwards. He said that, watched that way, it becomes a movie about how a bunch of terrorists remodel an office building just in time for a Christmas party.

My vote for the best Christmas movie is "Comfort and Joy," the 1984 version with Bill Paterson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087072/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

It's very low key and quirky and Paterson is always fun to watch.
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

My confession? I like the Grinch. I identify with him.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Any oldtimers here gotta remember Bing... The Bells of St. Mary's or White Christmas

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037536/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047673/
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

ytliek wrote:Any oldtimers here gotta remember Bing... The Bells of St. Mary's or White Christmas

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037536/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047673/

Aye Lad,
I remember Bing. Does that officially make me an old f*rt like you? Truth be told, I really liked Bing's appearance with Curt Gowdy on "The American Sportsman" with the two of them hunting ducks. Makes me wonder what they would think of Duck Dynasty today?

Quacking Up,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I'm an old f**t too. Cayden, I've to to tell some family history about Bing. Herself's Da' was in Bing's College class, at least until Bing was invited to leave GU. . .something about a piano being hoist to the fourth floor of DeSmet Hall for a party. . .seems the rope broke as it got to the fire escape landing. . .!
Bing was jamming with her Uncle when they were teens at her Grandmothers house. Seems he burnt a cigarette hole in the rug, and then compounded the offense by singeing a picture on the piano of her deceased husband. Grandma said "That boy has no respect for the dead! He'll never make anything of himself. . ." :lol:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

an seanduine wrote:I'm an old f**t too. Cayden, I've to to tell some family history about Bing. Herself's Da' was in Bing's College class, at least until Bing was invited to leave GU. . .something about a piano being hoist to the fourth floor of DeSmet Hall for a party. . .seems the rope broke as it got to the fire escape landing. . .!
Bing was jamming with her Uncle when they were teens at her Grandmothers house. Seems he burnt a cigarette hole in the rug, and then compounded the offense by singeing a picture on the piano of her deceased husband. Grandma said "That boy has no respect for the dead! He'll never make anything of himself. . ." :lol:

Bob

Bob,
Great story! Thanks for the glimpse at one of the greats!

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

We haven't had a Christmas Tree for years because we used to have a dog that would live under the tree the moment it was set up, making the tree worthless to place presents. Plus, she could smell her presents and she'd just unwrap them before Christmas and when she stood up under the tree, she'd get her head caught in the lights and garland and drag the tree all around the living room while we were at work. So we've placed lighted garland all over the furniture and doorways in our living room and that's where we hang our ornaments. Last year, we took the ornaments down and only noticed a couple of months later that we left the garland up. We're hanging the ornaments again this weekend.
白飞梦