Another Rudall and Rose

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Another Rudall and Rose

Post by libraryman »

There is another Rudall and Rose on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-Rare-R ... 2333243b50. Am curious about the band around the embouchure. And can anyone with better eyes read that number.
dunnp
antispam: No

Re: Another Rudall and Rose

Post by dunnp »

3931?

Embouchure bands, lip plates are common enough on both Rudall and non Rudall antiques. i would guess it's original and serves to protect the players who might be sensitive to cocus or other tropical hardwood. My old Metzlerish flute has one and my Blackman flute has a lip plate.

take care,
Patrick
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

The number looks fairly clearly like 3961 to me. It looks a nice flute.
Sumaire

Post by Sumaire »

Looks like the only crack is in the barrel. Sigh. Wish I had the money for it.
Christine
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, looks like a nice one. The two cracks in the head, and barrel (if lined), shouldn't affect playability and would probably close up somewhat once the flute is hydrated. Go for it Sumaire!
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

sexy...
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

Thanks all. Any predictions?
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Low market, wonderful flute... About £ 2.000 ...ridicolous price...
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Can we be sure it plays at A=440? How many RR's are set sharp, e.g. 445 to 455? How correctable is a sharp flute?
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

If the Rudall flute is a bit too rich, how about this Dave Williams flute, it is UK only and ends at 11pm tonight, so you would have to be quick.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

nice flute, interlocking foot keys, great photos (if only everyone took great photos life would be simpler!). Read the description, the serial number is clearly stated (with the date range estimate). 9 days to go and 14 bids already, take it easy guys, patience is a virtue :wink:

if we're running a sweepstake, I'm guessing it might go a little higher than recent sales, given the excellent photos, and it being the season of Christmas-present-to-self for hungry Chiffers, maybe on the top side of £2,000 GBP
Mark
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Going out on a limb, and despite the cracks, I'm going to say £3k.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

you'd maybe find one in Ireland for a bit nearer to half that price but it's England and it's on the Internet, and it's a classic serial number range, maybe €3k? Don't fancy the lip plate much and £3k would be close to $5k USD, I'd be surprised but the market is a funny thing and I'm no expert :)
Mark
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

Read the description, the serial number is clearly stated (with the date range estimate). :tomato:

Yeah….but, but isn't there some saying about the best place to hide something is in plain sight? Worked on me.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Lovely flute. The cracks ought to be properly fixed, but that's routine enough. The short F key has had its down-tube side clipped or filed for some reason (fat-fingered player?), but that's no biggie. Otherwise just a clean-up and overhaul job. No reason to expect flute in that serial #/date range to be at all HP orientated - it'll for sure play at modern pitch with the slide open c8-20mm depending on player's embouchure technique and will likely have a slightly long scale for that and so be a little flat footed plus have a sharp A..... Standard R&R, in other words. This one would for sure have fetched £3k plus even unrestored not so many years ago. Looks like there's a fair bit of interest/bidding activity - over £1k already and 16 bids (why do folk bother? :boggle: ) Particularly nice claw foot touches!

Dunno about predictions - recent form might suggest under £2k, but I think this'll do better. Not being too serious about it, I'll take a sweepstake pin-stick at mid £2ks - between £2.4-2.6k.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads