Wish me luck!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
HDSarah
antispam: No

Wish me luck!

Post by HDSarah »

Today after work -- about 4 hours from now -- I'm playing my hammered dulcimer for a book-signing party. My friend Cherie Stihler just had her first children's book published, The Giant Cabbage. (Her website is http://www.cheriestihler.com The "Cabbages in History" pics and "Dress the Cabbage" game might appeal to those who enjoy silliness. Not to imply that anyone on the chiffboard ever indulges in silliness. :lol: )

Amazingly enough, I'm not nervous. Yet. In fact, the hardest thing for me today is that I have my dulcimer here in the office since I'm going there straight after work, and I didn't want to let it freeze in the car all day. The dulcimer and I are definitely still in the "honeymoon" phase of our relationship: it's very hard to be in the same room together and NOT be playing it. It's zipped up in its case, and there isn't actually room in the office to set it up, and I share an office with someone so I couldn't play anyway . . . But my whistle is right there in the outside pocket of the case, and this building has a stairway that's crying out for whistle playing (huge windows with brilliant sunshine streaming in) . . . M U S T . . R E S I S T . . .

Ok, I need to banish myself downstairs to the lab now and get away from these instruments!

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Hey, have fun, Sarah!!
Jef
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Good luck, Sarah and have a great time. Go on to the stairwell. Resistance is futile. We understand. :D
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

I love the hammered dulcimer. It has such a unique sound, unlike any other insturment I've heard. I know you're going to get a number of people asking you about it.

Just go out there a have a good time. As long as you're enjoying yourself, you'll do fine.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Knock 'em dead, kiddo.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

After all these years, I suspect I am out of the honeymoon phase with my HD's. But in reality, I still cannot pass them without playing them...That's why they are always set up in the studio...I sometimes go into the sub-basement studio to check backups, CD duplicators, and the like - and I don't return to my home, upstairs, for quite some time. My wife asks if the dulcimers 'call' to me...

Yup...Absolutely...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Hey Sarah!

Break a Leg! :D

I guess that's what your suppose to say to a preformer before they perform. Right? :o

I am sure you will do fine. Just remember stay away from "The Irish Washer Woman" until you have a handle on your nerves. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Best of Luck
Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

How'd it go Sarah? I hope it was a smashing success all the way around, both for your friend's book-signing and for your playing! :)

~Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

HI Sarah,

I hope that it went well!

Don't let Sarah fool you. She's awesome at the HD. And she has an incredible tune memory. Something that takes me months to get, she has it by the next week!

Erik

p.s. I'm sorry that I've missed you at session lately - it'll probably be another month or better before I make it back. It's not a broken foot (I only broke the ligaments and I'm doing ok at walking now) but I've been playing Bodhran and Whistle with our worship team at church and also teaching a class on Sunday mornings so I can't afford the late night on Saturday.
McHaffie

Cool!

Post by McHaffie »

I hope it went well for you! I've gotten to where a small audience doesn't bother me, but I still screw up anyway at least once! :lol: I'm looking forward to, yet not at the same time to the local artsfest because its a huge elevated stage in front of hundreds of people. So ... ugh! :D I'm glad you don't have any problems with any of that stuff! :D

Take care!
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
HDSarah

success!

Post by HDSarah »

Thanks, everyone, for your kind thoughts and encouragement. It was a great success. Book sales far exceeded expectations, and I got lots of positive comments about the dulcimer.

It was much more distracting than any other playing situation I've been in yet, because the door kept opening and closing with lots of people going in and out, and people kept coming up very close and watching me, often times asking me about the instrument. I DO need to work on saying "It's a hammered dulcimer" while playing! I haven't mastered talking and playing at the same time yet. I flubbed up more than I usually do when playing at the coffeehouse (where I flub up more than I do when playing at home, due to the Magic Living-room Phenomenon). But still, many people said they enjoyed the music, and I had fun.

Kathy, I kept your experience in mind, and started with simple, not-too-fast tunes that I've known for a long time -- Si Beagh Si Mohr, Fanny Power, and a few other Carolan tunes. I was all on my own for awhile at first and for the last bit at the end, but most of the time my guitar-playing friend was there and played with me. That both increased the fun and reduced the stress. I'd happily try it again, and SOMEDAY I hope to be able to play a few whistle tunes in a situation like that, too. (For now my breath control is ok at home in the Magic Living-room, but I lose it when I'm nervous.) One advantage of the whistle is that no one will expect me to be able to answer their questions while I'm playing!

Sarah

P.S. Erik -- glad to hear you can walk again, and that you're getting some music in. It's good that your church takes "make a joyful noise" to heart!
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
SteveK

Re: success!

Post by SteveK »

HDSarah wrote:

It was much more distracting than any other playing situation I've been in yet, because the door kept opening and closing with lots of people going in and out, and people kept coming up very close and watching me, often times asking me about the instrument. I DO need to work on saying "It's a hammered dulcimer" while playing!
I'm glad it went well for you. I usually find that a busy situation puts me more at ease than one where people are sitting still and possibly even listening. One thing I've thought about doing is printing up some one page sheets with a diagram of the dulcimer and a bit of information and prominantly displaying them with a sign that says "Please Take One." The idea is to cut down on questions while I'm playing. The last time I went busking, I found myself in a conversation about the dulcimer while trying to continue the tune!

Steve
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Congratulations Sarah!

It's great to hear you did well! Did you play lots of cabbage songs? :D

I think the next time I go to the retirement home to play, I will just go and sit somewhere and play for who ever comes by and not have an organized audience. It sounds like a better situation to deal with. I don't think that I would be able to have a conversation with someone while playing though, and Steve's idea about printing up a description sheet is great.

I am still wondering. :boggle: Did you finally give in and go to the stairway to play your whistle? :lol:

Erik, I hope you heal quickly.

Cheers,
Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Congratulations Sarah, More public performances will be demanded!

I always wondered why people insist on talking to a musician while they're playing - I think it's because you are making it look effortless!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Sarah, I'm so glad it went well for you! Congratulations!!

Martin, every time I see your new avatar it totally cracks me up. :lol:

Best,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin