Sindt prices....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AvienMael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Sindt prices....

Post by AvienMael »

I don't mean this in a derogatory way... I do love Copeland whistles - and we watched the same phenomenon evolve with those - but at least with a Sindt, you pretty much know what you're getting.

Yet as rarely as this occurs, I have to agree with Mr. Gumby. It is "silly money" to be fetching after those whistles at those prices, especially when they can still be had for less at the expense of a little patience. I'm not sure how one equates "love" with a "must-have at any expense" mindset... :wink:
Playing, not paying.
jmiller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmiller »

It's not just about what a whistle is worth to the buyer but also what it is worth to the seller.

And as far as silly money goes, maybe it's worse to part with something for too little, than to pay too much. I have sure done that. I just watched a whistle I sold flipped on eBay for a sum a lot higher than I sold it and even higher than it could be had new. My eyes have been opened.
Last edited by jmiller on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

If you live in the UK and ordered a Sindt high D now, how much would it end up costing you? I'm just curious, really. I don't even know what John Sindt's new whistle prices are.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

benhall.1 wrote:If you live in the UK and ordered a Sindt high D now, how much would it end up costing you? I'm just curious, really. I don't even know what John Sindt's new whistle prices are.
Out of curiousity i checked my mail conversation with John, and i payed $152 incl. postage. I reckon it would be in the same ballpark for the UK.
Cheers.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:If you live in the UK and ordered a Sindt high D now, how much would it end up costing you? I'm just curious, really. I don't even know what John Sindt's new whistle prices are.
Out of curiousity i checked my mail conversation with John, and i payed $152 incl. postage. I reckon it would be in the same ballpark for the UK.
Cheers.
Did that include import duty, VAT and handling charges? How long ago was it?

(I'm cheating, you'll notice - I want to find out without actually committing myself. :wink: )
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

benhall.1 wrote:
Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:
Cheers.
Did that include import duty, VAT and handling charges? How long ago was it?

(I'm cheating, you'll notice - I want to find out without actually committing myself. :wink: )
December 2012, and the quoted price was grand total.
Now i committed! :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Sounds like a bargain to me, Lars! :)
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Its a matter of value.

What item someone is willing to part with for how much money, and what someone else is willing to pay for that item. Simple.

All I can say is there are an awful lot of Sindt owners... a whole lot! :thumbsup:
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

ytliek wrote:Its a matter of value.

What item someone is willing to part with for how much money, and what someone else is willing to pay for that item. Simple.

All I can say is there are an awful lot of Sindt owners... a whole lot! :thumbsup:

Ytliek,
that would be "an awful lot of HAPPY Sindt owners ... a whole lot" my Brother! :thumbsup:

Cheers Lad,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

All I can say is there are an awful lot of Sindt owners... a whole lot!
I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise (although I'd suggest maybe I'd have more empathy with Sindt players).
You do have to wonder if the price is now outstripping the value from a player's perspective. Much as I like the Sindt whistles I have, I would never consider buying them at the hyped prices they are currently fetching. And that probably holds true for a lot of people who either can't or won't spend these amounts on a whistle.
My brain hurts

free-feet

Post by free-feet »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:Out of curiousity i checked my mail conversation with John, and i payed $152 incl. postage. I reckon it would be in the same ballpark for the UK.
Cheers.
So with the extra postage, administration fees (for going through customs), import duty, and VAT, and exchange rate loss through paypal or however you pay, i would think one would be looking at over £150 in the UK.

Still worth it! :D
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

Mr.Gumby wrote:You do have to wonder if the price is now outstripping the value from a player's perspective.
I would say that that is a completely subjective opinion. How much is anyone willing to spend to own the whistle that they find is perfect for them, and they enjoy playing the most?

Or to put this whole debate the other way around, How much would the Sindt players here sell their Sindt for? Knowing that they can't just go out and buy a new one any time soon?

It would take a lot more than £200 to get me to sell my Sindt. Even though i didn't pay that, it's worth more to me.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I would say that that is a completely subjective opinion.
It's the law of diminishing returns. Or a version of it anyway. You reach a point where one whistle fetches ten, twenty times the price of another while it only gives you a marginal increase in quality, playing comfort or pleasure or what have you. Until the increase in price outstrips the gain in benefits. I think we're way beyond that point objectively. Subjectively people who want want want still keep throwing money at it. Silly money. But if that's what they want to do, that is ofcourse their business. It is worth reflecting on the consequences though, I have seen the same happen in the piping world maybe a decade ago when pipes sold by the maker for around €3000 started fetching 12 to 15 K on ebay. It sets in motion a development that will affect everybody and will eventually leave instruments out of reach for a lot of people, especially young players.
My brain hurts

free-feet

Post by free-feet »

Mr.Gumby wrote:It's the law of diminishing returns. Or a version of it anyway. You reach a point where one whistle fetches ten, twenty times the price of another while it only gives you a marginal increase in quality, playing comfort or pleasure or what have you. Until the increase in price outstrips the gain in benefits. I think we're way beyond that point objectively.
I accept your point of diminishing returns, one can only make a whistle so good. But, if there's a whistle that someone absolutely wants to play, above all others, and there's no waiting list because it's shut, and they have no idea when they can ever buy a new one, then the market price will increase.
Mr.Gumby wrote:It is worth reflecting on the consequences though, I have seen the same happen in the piping world maybe a decade ago when pipes sold by the maker for around €3000 started fetching 12 to 15 K on ebay. It sets in motion a development that will affect everybody and will eventually leave instruments out of reach for a lot of people, especially young players.
No one has to buy a Sindt, there will always be other really good whistles out there to buy at lower prices. But those of us who love them will place a value on them that we feel they deserve.

Even at $300, i don't think that that is too much to pay for an instrument that a player will fall in love with and want to play every day. Look at the price of other musical instruments, $300 is cheap as chips for a top quality instrument.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Look at the price of other musical instruments, $300 is cheap as chips for a top quality instrument.
That argument is always trotted out here but it is a ridiculous one. I know you'd pay more for a good set of pipes, a cello, a violin or a piano. Those instruments take more work than the few hours it takes to make a whistle like a Sindt and are way way more complex. It's apples and oranges in the extreme.
My brain hurts