Groups Similar to Planxty and Bothy Band

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Groups Similar to Planxty and Bothy Band

Post by rorybbellows »

There's a band called the Chieftains that have a piper . They do some good stuff.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
JR

Post by JR »

Cran spring to mind. Ronan Browne is the piper, with Desi Wilkinson on flute and Sean Corcoran on bouzouki. For a trio they make a big noise.

Get Black Black Black, its got serious Bothy mojo.

http://www.ronanbrowne.com/cran/CRAN_MUSIC/Home.html
Sandy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sandy »

Some of Christy Moore early albums. Pretty close to Planxty, and often pipers are involved. Also Andy Irvine and Donal Lunny did couple of similar tracks on their own.
I think you kind of right, this type of bands belongs to those times, nowadays it's hard to find something like this.
There was also a band called Oisin with Davy Spillane on pipes.
Other than that, i don't think there's much music of this kind.
You can find different parts of their sounds in solo recordings and smaller side-projects, like Relativity and Skara Brae for more "BB" singing and clavinet, Sweeney's Men, etc.
And yes, Dervish took Planxty-style rhythm-section with the whole mandola+bouzouki thing, and Lunasa uses Bothy Band's "flute+fiddle+pipes" idea (if you do not like them, give a try to all of their albums, all of them are different).
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

PJ wrote:Moving Hearts, maybe too rock, but if you like them, another in that style is Horselips.
I still have Horslips on vinyl!
bobkeenan wrote:I dould not find Horeslips.
Note the correct spelling "Horslips" and try again, though they may only be on vinyl or tape; pretty old stuff now.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There are a few Horslips clips on YouTube.
PJ
john

Post by john »

don't forget donal lunny's eponymous album from about 1987 (sean og potts) and his 'sult' band 'coolfin' recording with john mcsherry
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Also, Na Connerys.
PJ
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I second the recommendation for Cran.
Calum

Post by Calum »

I think to a certain extent, it's difficult to recapture the sound and feel of a band that's breaking new ground. Lots of guitar bands have come and gone, but none are quite the Beatles.

The stuff I find I really enjoy listening to these days is by individual artists - people like Dave Sheridan, MacDara Ó Raghallaigh, etc. For what it's worth.
bobkeenan

Post by bobkeenan »

Just discovered another new group or new to me.... "Open the Door for Three" not to be confused with Realta's "Open the door for Three" Album. This new group has Kieran O’Hare as their piper and he sound pretty good with the fiddle and guitar. To me they are like a Plaxty or Both Band-Lite. Need to add a Bodran and mandolin I think. Hope they stay together and make more CD's (available on CD baby and Itunes)
PhilD

Post by PhilD »

I hope they stay together too, Kieran is married to Liz the fiddler I believe. It is a great CD they produced!
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

The good news is: LAPD - Liam O'Flynn, Andy Irvine, Paddy Glackin and Donal Lunny. That's Planxty minus Christy Moore but plus Paddy Glackin. They've been doing fairly small, intimate gigs around Ireland. I was at one a few months ago and it was a wonderful trip down memory lane.

The bad news for y'all over yonder is that they may not want to step on the intensive overseas gigging treadmill again. They may just want to keep appearances at a level that's enjoyable for them as well as the audience. But keep an eye out for them.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:The good news is: LAPD - Liam O'Flynn, Andy Irvine, Paddy Glackin and Donal Lunny. That's Planxty minus Christy Moore but plus Paddy Glackin. They've been doing fairly small, intimate gigs around Ireland. I was at one a few months ago and it was a wonderful trip down memory lane.

The bad news for y'all over yonder is that they may not want to step on the intensive overseas gigging treadmill again. They may just want to keep appearances at a level that's enjoyable for them as well as the audience. But keep an eye out for them.
I hope they make some records!
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
bobkeenan

Post by bobkeenan »

An Draighean wrote:
Roger O'Keeffe wrote:The good news is: LAPD - Liam O'Flynn, Andy Irvine, Paddy Glackin and Donal Lunny. That's Planxty minus Christy Moore but plus Paddy Glackin. They've been doing fairly small, intimate gigs around Ireland. I was at one a few months ago and it was a wonderful trip down memory lane.

I hope they make some records!
Or at least some well recorded youtube videos!
juanito

Post by juanito »

Just discovered a great program about The Bonny Men on TG4 online, viewable here:
http://nasc.tg4.tv/1ayt7zV
: )