Best Beginner's Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Best Beginner's Flute

Post by I.D.10-t »

I could be wrong, but I think that M&E can retro fit keys to the flute later if the player so desires. Just something that may be of use later.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jleo Fipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Jayhawk wrote:FWIW, I think every flute mentioned here would work fine for a beginner. As long as it's a decent, in-tune flute, I think the most important thing is sticking with one flute and not flute hunting/searching for a flute that will sound better and make you a better player...the problem is usually the player who just needs more experience. Eventually, these flute hunters "find" this great, usually more expensive flute and say it's better, but what I've noticed is that the person simply has become a better player by that point and if they went back and played some of the flutes they owned in the past, well, those flutes sound miraculously better, too.
Good insight Jayhawk and I'm very glad to agree with you. I've seen good musician's who have the uncanny ability of making various low cost instruments sound pretty darn good :D
monkeymonk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by monkeymonk »

Jan >^..^< wrote:Yeah, it's plastic. No, it does not sound plastic.
I don't think there actually is a plastic sound. There is definately a feel and a look to plastic.
As Gordon said earlier, it is the architecture of the flute ineracting with the musician that makes the sound and i myself have never heard a whistle or a flute and thought "plastic". Let's not forget there are 2 audiences. I may sound basically the same to the listner on my Forbes as compared to my Olwell Pratten or on my M and E ebonite as compared to My antique ebonite flute but i can absolutely hear a difference between the flutes. This probably has as much to do with tactile sensations as it has to do with the fact that the flute is also vibrating your head and its close proximity to the players ears. I think this is why i find ebonite much better as a concocted flute material than delrin. Other folks may not hear the difference but they aren't the ones that play the instrument day in and day out.

I'm not trying to stir up old debates. I just want to point out that it is not only important how the flute sounds to the audience but how it sounds AND FEELS to the musician and how they connect with it. I'm all for sticking with one flute when you first start out but then....

Edit: silly analogy removed :D
Last edited by monkeymonk on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I am surprised that nobody mentioned the SHANNON flute (unless I missed it). Dollar for dollar the SHANNON flute, by Walt Sweet, is hard to beat. I appreciate Doug's work -- and Casey's and Dave Copley's -- but Walt Sweet's flute works beautifully. It is in perfect tune and plays very easily. It feels great in the hand and has good volume and a solid low D. It is indestructible and low-maintenance. It's a perfect beginner's flute, and then some. I am selling one for $275 and I will take it back if the buyer doesn't like it, and I'll offer a full refund. This would be a great travel flute or a flute to keep with you in the car, that you wouldn't have to worry about very much.
The flute is available in the US but I can also mail the flute to anybody in the EU, when I get back there in July, with no expensive shipping or tax implications.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Julia Delaney wrote:I am surprised that nobody mentioned the SHANNON flute (unless I missed it). Dollar for dollar the SHANNON flute, by Walt Sweet, is hard to beat.....
Eleventh post on the thread. :poke: I, too, was very impressed with what Walt has done with this. Hard not to like it, especially at this price.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

monkeymonk wrote:
Jan >^..^< wrote:Yeah, it's plastic. No, it does not sound plastic.
I don't think there actually is a plastic sound. There is definately a feel and a look to plastic.
As Gordon said earlier, it is the architecture of the flute ineracting with the musician that makes the sound and i myself have never heard a whistle or a flute and thought "plastic". Let's not forget there are 2 audiences. I may sound basically the same to the listner on my Forbes as compared to my Olwell Pratten or on my M and E ebonite as compared to My antique ebonite flute but i can absolutely hear a difference between the flutes. This probably has as much to do with tactile sensations as it has to do with the fact that the flute is also vibrating your head and its close proximity to the players ears. I think this is why i find ebonite much better as a concocted flute material than delrin. Other folks may not hear the difference but they aren't the ones that play the instrument day in and day out.

I'm not trying to stir up old debates. I just want to point out that it is not only important how the flute sounds to the audience but how it sounds AND FEELS to the musician and how they connect with it. I'm all for sticking with one flute when you first start out but then....

Edit: silly analogy removed :D
I hear what you're saying and I agree. I have experienced this. For me, I love the feel of wood and the vibrations and the beauty of it all. It makes the playing experience so much better. Kind of like the difference between playing a keyboard and a baby grand.

However, before I am willing to plunk down a lot of money on a wood flute, I want to know that this is something I can play and will stick with. Plus, if I do decide to go for a more expensive flute, I will still have my Tipple flute that is durable enough to take anywhere without worrying about it.
"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose." Augustine
monkeymonk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by monkeymonk »

Yeah, I have never had the opportunity to play one of Doug Tipple's flutes but i know someone that has one and he loves it, doesn't have any other flutes and has no urge to switch to a more expensive conical bore flute. His flute has a very nice sound and I always thought it looked awsome, white, as he pulled it out of that long bag.

Also, FWIW i wish i had stuck with my M and E flute for longer before moving on to find a flute that i wanted to play longterm and i feel it definately did not help my playing any to switch flutes within that first 1-2 years.
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

monkeymonk wrote:Yeah, I have never had the opportunity to play one of Doug Tipple's flutes but i know someone that has one and he loves it, doesn't have any other flutes and has no urge to switch to a more expensive conical bore flute. His flute has a very nice sound and I always thought it looked awsome, white, as he pulled it out of that long bag.

Also, FWIW i wish i had stuck with my M and E flute for longer before moving on to find a flute that i wanted to play longterm and i feel it definately did not help my playing any to switch flutes within that first 1-2 years.
Your FWIW is valuable information. Thanks!

(My Tipple flute is black with silver vinyl rings. Very cool. :thumbsup: )
"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose." Augustine
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I concur that the Copley Delrin is outstanding.
joshua7b

Post by joshua7b »

I hate to resurrect a semi old thread, but there is no mention of the Hammy Hamilton Practice flute as yet. I realize it comes in a good bit under the original poster's $400 price range, but I am curious how you would rate it as a beginner's flute compared to the other flutes that have already been mentioned.
Thanks much,
Josh
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.