Looking for reasonably priced low G!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
maki
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Looking for reasonably priced low G!

Post by maki »

dspmusik wrote:Becker whistles were suggested right away, and if budget is the main concern, that's the way to go. i think the cheapest low (alto) G you can get.
here's my quick review recently posted:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94073&p=1115628#p1115628
Just when I thought I was over WHOAD.
Now I find I can get 3 alto whistles for $41 shipped.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

This kind of comment infuriates me.

"The Cnat was wildly out of tune so I returned it."

I heard nothing about this. No chance to investigate the problem, no chance to fix something for the customer. All I get for my trouble is someone trashing my reputation.

Thank you very much.
Jerry

P.S. The last time I visited this board, someone had posted that he'd gone into a music store and found that one of my whistles had a cracked mouthpiece. Checked and found they ALL were cracked, and the store took them off the shelf. I determined that the store was Appalachian Bluegrass in Baltimore, the whistle was one where I laboriously bind and lacquer the socket so it can NEVER crack, and there was nothing defective at all about it or any of the whistles in the store.

I get the impression that people are oblivious to the fact that there's an actual human being trying his damnedest to make really great whistles everyone can afford. It comes off as a sort of narcissistic, self-indulgent entertainment, taking potshots, mindless of the fact that you don't know what you're talking about, and you're making it harder for someone to feed his children.
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Oh dear Jerry...well, for what it's worth, my brother has zeroed in on a Freeman-tweaked Generation, available at The Whistle Shop. So that's the pick that is getting my strongest endorsement. As he likes his Generations, I think that's what he'll go with, especially since I've put in an emphatic plug for the Freeman tweakedness.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I like the JF tweaked whistles as well. I have them all (I think). :)
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Not to mention that there's a lot of ways to play a c natural, and which one works best varies from whistle to whistle.

EDIT: of course I mean the equivalent of c natural on an a whistle.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

This is the point where people start piling on with lavish praises for Jerry Freeman, as they should. So I'll start.

Jerry's stuff is always great, and is the best bang for the buck out there today. If something's not right with a Freeman whistle, Jerry will make it so. His professionalism, flexibility and generosity are second to none.

It's nice when the self-important but mostly clueless newbies lose their interest and move onto other hobbies, so the rest of us aren't driven away permanently.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Thomaston wrote:Not to mention that there's a lot of ways to play a c natural,
Yep, and that's why I asked for the clarification about the C natural or F natural above. So until we have an answer we're all just speculating here.
ytliek wrote:I like the JF tweaked whistles as well. I have them all (I think). :)
Really? :o Isn't that like a hundred and twenty seven models counting all the makes and keys Jerry has tweaked. (ok, I exaggerate a bit) I thought you had it bad but my oh my oh my.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:the C natural or F natural above. So until we have an answer we're all just speculating here.
The fingering in question was OXX OOO, transposing C-nat / concert F-nat.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Okay, so if we're talking about OXX OOO, I'll say that I've never met a Generation, tweaked or otherwise, that didn't have an uncomfortably sharp OXX OOO. OXX XOX has worked better on all of them.

I have Jerry's Gen A, and I find it to be a very nice whistle. Sweet-voiced, not harsh even at the top. OXX XOX, and a small drop in breath pressure, works fine for concert Gnat. Drilling a thumbhole (or paying Jerry a few extra bucks to do it for you) provides another option.
bogman

Post by bogman »

Reasonably priced G whistle? Easy! Goldie - less than £200 for a quality instrument.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

bogman wrote:Reasonably priced G whistle? Easy! Goldie - less than £200 for a quality instrument.
Do you get a discount? Last i checked they were €250 from Colin and that ought to amount to over £200?
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
bogman

Post by bogman »

Ok, haven't checked prices for a while. £215 then. Still ridiculously reasonable. Whistle players have it easy.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Feadoggie wrote:
ytliek wrote:I like the JF tweaked whistles as well. I have them all (I think). :)
Really? :o Isn't that like a hundred and twenty seven models counting all the makes and keys Jerry has tweaked. (ok, I exaggerate a bit) I thought you had it bad but my oh my oh my.

Feadoggie
Er, I may have misspoke myself with "all". :oops:

I certainly don't have every whistle JF tweaked, but, I do have every whistle listed on eThingy page and a few that are not listed there. Yes, both entire brass and nickel ta boot. Whoad it's a start.

Not bragging here or anything and I do enjoy pulling out the box of'em and giving a good run thru on the few (too few) tunes in the repertoire (newbie-ish ya know). Someone mentioned needing more than 100 tunes to lead a session and right now I'm working on #5. Besides, there are some whistlers here with entire sets of whistles starting from the top end down. It's the same ride from different directions. →← :) Get'em all.

To avoid further thread drift, yes, I have the JF tweaked low G and stand behind it fully from my level of play. My not being a low whistler with piper's grip to begin with hasn't helped progress. But working on it and thanks to a few for their help.
emmline

Post by emmline »

jim stone wrote:Emmline, you're back!
I was never far afield Jim...just mostly ukulele-ing these days.