Best Beginner's Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Best Beginner's Flute

Post by Steve Bliven »

Fully agree with the above. I'm guessing that the OP is seeking a flute that provides a "safe and easy" entry for a beginner. Something affordable (which mint retain sesame value if the beginner decides flutes are not for him/her), easy to get a decent (or even goog) sound from, in tune, etc.

Thus far, seems like all the suggestions would fit the criteria.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Casey Burns wrote:Again, I just don't get on so many levels why one would want a flute or any instrument in Delrin.
Camping!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

chas wrote:
Casey Burns wrote:Again, I just don't get on so many levels why one would want a flute or any instrument in Delrin.
Camping!
Took my delrin Forbes out for a kayak ride in the Estuary last summer. Marshes and sandbars. Never would have done that with a wooden flute.
On days that i have off, when i'm trying to figure out a tune it's nice to have a flute to leave assembled so i can just pick it up and play.

But you're right Casey, nothing can compare to wood :love:
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

To each their own on the wood vs. other material issue. I wonder if wooden Boehm flute players are looked down upon for not playing a nice, metal flute like a Boehm flute ought to be?

Eric
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

chas wrote:
Camping!
Yup, camping, hiking, mountain biking, climbing, traveling when you are concerned about loss, theft or damage. Also good for loaning to clumsy friends. And, while I prefer wood flutes, I like to leave a flute out all the time, in order grab a quick tune during commercials or as short break from things I'm working on, without having to haul out, assemble, swab, disassemble and repack a wooden flute. It's typically only about 20% RH in my apartment at a given time (A/C in the summer, heat all winter), so a wooden flute will crack if I leave it out.

Honestly, for beginners, Delrin can be a great choice for the low maintenance factor alone. And if you do play for extended periods, Delrin won't swell, locking your flute together, like Boxwood, Mopane, etc.

And then there are the rookie mistakes, like dropping your flute, or sitting on it, or forgetting it's round and letting it roll off the table.......Sure, one shouldn't let these things happen, it's undignified and disrespectful to your instrument and the art of fluting :P But shnit happens, particularly with a first flute, and Delrin is a helluva lot more durable. I've repaired enough busted woodwinds to know how often people screw up, and how expensive the repair can be.

Yup, lot's of pluses to polymer flutes, but hey, it's all about freedom of choice.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Loren, a number of my clients report they take their Folk Flutes camping on a regular basis and these do just fine.

Casey
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Jack ... Jack ... hello?? :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I think Casey's being a bit uncharitable with his characterization of delrin flutes. No, it's not wood and never will be, but there's no reason that a fine instrument can't be made out of it. In my experience it's the hand of the maker that is responsible for 95% of a flute's quality.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I think Casey's being a bit uncharitable with his characterization of delrin flutes.
Well this is all his folk flute business is about isn't it ;)
I too prefer wood to delrin, but I've tried some really great sounding delrin flutes as well.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

So, anyone read any good books made out of delrin lately?
chas

Post by chas »

Casey Burns wrote:Loren, a number of my clients report they take their Folk Flutes camping on a regular basis and these do just fine.
If all you're doing is staying in the woods (or leaving your flute in the tent in the woods), then, sure, wood does just fine. I've taken a wooden flute camping in the woods myself with no harm done. But I don't really want to leave an expensive flute behind at the campsite when I'm out all day, so the flute spends a lot of time in a car in the sun during hikes. I haven't measured the temp in my car, but it can get up to 180 F/85 C in a car in the sun. It might be fine, but I don't really want to test a wooden flute under those conditions. Delrin and other machined plastics can withstand it, and I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a travel flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

monkeymonk wrote:So, anyone read any good books made out of delrin lately?
No, but the Canadians are using plastic money.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
monkeymonk

Post by monkeymonk »

MTGuru wrote:
No, but the Canadians are using plastic money.

I would feel very safe taking those Canadian bills camping.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Couldn't resist! :twisted:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I'm sure there is delrin in my Kindle somewhere. So, yeah.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.