McGoldrick's flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

McGoldrick's flute

Post by pipersgrip »

I recently heard that McGoldrick and Egan have both switched to Stephane Morvan's flute. Can anyone verify this? I know Morvan also has a somewhat new style of flute, mixing sort of both models together. Has anyone tried the new Morvan version? Thanks!
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
psychih

Re: McGoldrick's flute

Post by psychih »

Looks like McGoldrick is credited as a Morvan flute user on the website but nothing about Egan. http://morvanflutes.wix.com/stephane-mo ... inks/c1vkd.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

When I saw Mike at a session in February he was playing his bespoke L-handed Grinter. Couldn't say if he's changed since, or maybe has Morvans in other keys.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

He's probably playing both, last summer in Lorient he played a Morvan in concert. :wink: And I all know about Seamus Egan is that he tried and then played a Morvan in concert the last time he came to Brittany with Solas. I thought he used to play an Olwell but anyway, these flutemakers are all among the best and top players can play any flute. And I'm sure they have more than one.
As far as I know the new Morvan's model is excellent with a rich tone and you need very little air to play it. I didn't play it long enough to tell more but the first feelings were very good. The craftmanship is perfect.
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

McGolcdrick playing his new Morvan flute in cocus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Nwkw4FRdE
S.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I play a Morvan in crocus of the blended style. workmanship is at the highest level, the keys all work well, including the foot keys. I've been playing for 8 years, but have only felt that I am getting more consistent in the past 2 years. It took me a while it find how it wanted to be played-for a long time I had the embouchure rolled too much towards me. Once I realized that I should work more on moving my lips on a more or less lined up embouchure hole, and how from there to really focu s the airstream (which happened after I played my baroque flute with a tiny embouchure hole), my impression changed. A nice combination of powerful sweetness.

My Impression is that some flutes are designed to be more accessible/forgiving, whereas others require the learner to develop their embouchure to get the full benefit, and the Morvan is one of the latter. As a side note, Calum Stewart also appears to have switched to a Morvan.

short answer is that after many years of trying flutes, I have found my final flute.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Thanks for the reply guys. The Morvan is sounding even more tempting now. :twisted:
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

flutefry wrote:My Impression is that some flutes are designed to be more accessible/forgiving, whereas others require the learner to develop their embouchure to get the full benefit, and the Morvan is one of the latter. As a side note, Calum Stewart also appears to have switched to a Morvan.
I played some of his old models and the last one seems much more accessible and the embouchure is different. All his flutes are perfectly in tune.
And you're right, Calum switched to a Morvan.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

How is the volume on a Morvan?
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

Do you want to know if volume can be loud on a Morvan ? If so, yes it can.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bmOWV5F-Ro

I tried a Morvan once but couldn't get a good tone out of it right away (I'm usually able to get a decent tone on most flutes). I guess it's one of those flutes that require a different approach, a bit like most Grinters I tried. It surely sounds really good when played by McG, Veillon, Barou, Carvou etc, it "bites" nicely.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute