How do you tune an Overton/Goldie Soprano D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

How do you tune an Overton/Goldie Soprano D?

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I have one, and I need to tune it. Does anyone know where Colin sets his tuning point? For example, does he make sure the middle D is in tune when blown normally and then you have to push to get the low D in tune? I haven't quite got it. I tried to play along with Brian Finnegan's "Nightride", and it was oh so wrong. I don't know if I've set the tuning poorly or if I just need to get used to the tuning quirks of this particular instrument. I figure I'll eliminate the first variable and then see where I stand after that. I took measurements of how far out the tuning slide was pulled on my D and F whistle, just for reference. I have no idea to what extent Colin would have pulled out the tuning slide on the D. If anyone knows this measurement, in mm, that would help get me in the neighborhood, I think.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: How do you tune an Overton/Goldie Soprano D?

Post by Sirchronique »

Pull/push until it's what sounds well in tune. That's all there really is to it.

On mine I'd usually have it pulled out just a wee tad.. but it really depends on the conditions where you are playing. If it sounded that terribly wrong, you must have had it pulled out way too far. Just push it in until it sounds right.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Playing just for myself, at the very gentle end of the whistle's breath curve, I can push in all the way to a ~0.5 mm gap. It actually plays very nicely in this breath range.

For more volume in a group (if that's what is called for), with a bigger blow, I'll pull it out as much as ~3 mm.

In either case, the whistle seems well in tune with 12-TET intonation. And no problem playing along with Nightride from the "Bones" album.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
maki

Post by maki »

Be sure the whistle is well warmed.
I like to run my wifes hair dryer over mine before playing.
Also, be aware that not all recording are made on d whistles.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Thumbs up on the keeping the whistle warm. My Goldie A is not tunable, but it's right on the money if I keep it warm. This also reduces breath condensation from cold metal. A hair dryer is nice, but impractical for playing at sessions or gigs where I switch instruments frequently. I keep one of my pockets free of metal objects and just tuck the whistle head in there when I'm not playing it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

brewerpaul wrote:I keep one of my pockets free of metal objects and just tuck the whistle head in there when I'm not playing it.
Makes me think of Mae West...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

I just measured some of the high Ds that just got finished and all are pulled out about 4 mm a couple 4.5 mm so around this distance you could see how it works for you. If you blow slightly less or harder than Colin it could be a little more pushed in or more pulled out to be in tune for yourself.

Greetings from finally lovely sunny Germany
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

use a motorbike...
csoroz
Tell us something.: Inventory:
Pat Olwell Pratten keyless in D blackwood
Eamonn Cotter 6-key in D blackwood
M&E 6-key in D ebonite
Gilles Lehart keyless in Bb blackwood
Sam Murray keyless in D blackwood (2016)

Post by csoroz »

Mine (Medium-blower) is in tune with the tuning slide pulled out about 4 mm. The distance from the blade to the end is 267 mm.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Steve Bliven wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:I keep one of my pockets free of metal objects and just tuck the whistle head in there when I'm not playing it.
Makes me think of Mae West...

Best wishes.

Steve
I knew someone was gonna pick up on that... :lol:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

I've got a non-tuneable Goldie D and once it's warmed up (a few seconds of gentle blowing with the windway covered) it's beautifully in tune all the way up. There's a lot more than just the position of the slide to take account of, the breath pressure gives at least as much of the tuning as the slide position does. It would be worth getting hold of a tuner (or downloading a tuner app onto your phone) to check that you can get the note spot on, and work on that aspect of your playing as an objective in its own right.

Brian Finnegan plays a lot of his tunes on Eb whistles, so I'd check that Nightride isn't one of them (I'll have a look myself later, but I'm at work at the moment) - if he is in Eb you'll give yourself an injury trying to tune up to that :)
csoroz
Tell us something.: Inventory:
Pat Olwell Pratten keyless in D blackwood
Eamonn Cotter 6-key in D blackwood
M&E 6-key in D ebonite
Gilles Lehart keyless in Bb blackwood
Sam Murray keyless in D blackwood (2016)

Post by csoroz »

sfmans wrote:There's a lot more than just the position of the slide to take account of, the breath pressure gives at least as much of the tuning as the slide position does. It would be worth getting hold of a tuner...
Yes, the breath pressure influences the pitch. It would be interesting to measure the range of pitch variation that is possible for each note by control of the breath pressure...
sfmans wrote:Brian Finnegan plays a lot of his tunes on Eb whistles, so I'd check that Nightride isn't one of them (I'll have a look myself later, but I'm at work at the moment) - if he is in Eb you'll give yourself an injury trying to tune up to that :)
I think he plays this tune on a D whistle (and flute), although all the C's are Cnat... and there are some slurs also...
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Yes, I'd agree that's on a D.

Recorded tracks are also sometimes subtly sped up in post-production to make them slightly sharper (and therefore 'brighter'), but I don't think that's happened here.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I just used a Snark tuner clamped to the whistle. According to this, the whistle is in tune with the slide pulled out 7.5 mm. The high B also sounds better with the slide pulled out. It's better than my other high D whistles, but still a bit of an ear killer if I have to spend any time there. Definitely a session whistle. Not one my wife will let me play in the house.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

AngelicBeaver wrote:I just used a Snark tuner clamped to the whistle. According to this, the whistle is in tune with the slide pulled out 7.5 mm. The high B also sounds better with the slide pulled out. It's better than my other high D whistles, but still a bit of an ear killer if I have to spend any time there. Definitely a session whistle. Not one my wife will let me play in the house.

But when you checked the tuning on your tuner, were you actually blowing it with the exact same pressure you use when you are playing it?

Also, snarks are not completely accurate. Expect about a 5ish cent margin for error, at least. When I tune my octave mandolin I have to do a bit of adjusting to get the courses exactly in sync with each other because the snark tuner doesn't get it completely correct.

Also, keep in mind the tuning systems used on whistles are not always set up the same as on an instrument such as a guitar, mandolin, bass, banjo, fiddle, etc. The snark tuners were designed for the tuning system on stringed instruments.