Game of Thrones

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Azalin »

I think the creators of the show did an amazing job at bringing the book to life. I'm a big fan of little Arya Stark and she did not disappoint, her character is even better than what I imagined. A Song of Ice and Fire is the best book series I ever read, and the show will probably become my favorite show ever. My current favorite show is The Wire, which has nothing to do with Throne's genre!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sorry to again revive this old thread (which I didn't know existed)...

My family is hooked on Game of Thrones, which just started its new season last Sunday. We Netflixed it to catch up, then subscribed to HBO to keep up.

Currently we're playing catchup though Netflix on Boardwalk Empire. We're way behind!

Both shows seem to do everything right: fantastic set design, lighting, cinematography, writing, acting... fascinating characters and engrossing storylines... it doesn't get much better than that.

The thing I could do without in Game of Thrones is the frequent instances of gratuitous nudity and sex. Think of old 1950s Westerns, where you saw the cowboy coming out of Madame So-and-So's and every adult in the audience knew what the cowboy was doing in there. They didn't need to show it. Well Game of Thrones will show long lingering shots of just exactly what everyone is doing in there, though it has nothing to do with the plot, or characterization. There are exceptions, such as the lengthy artistic nude scene of Daenerys being prepared for presentation to Drogo, and the sex scenes between these two characters which were essential for showing the shifting nature of their relationship. So it's not sex and nudity that I'm opposed to, just gratuitous sex and nudity.

The ITM related thing is that to play the Game of Thrones theme at pitch you need an F#/Gb whistle! That is if you're going to handle the accidentals without half-holing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I rarely give up on a book that I start reading, but I quit Game of Thrones about halfway through. I just couldn't get engaged in the plot or characters. Am I the only one?
No HBO, so I can't even give the series a try on TV.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tor

Post by Tor »

You're not alone.. I have actually read all the books except the final one, which I won't buy. It just got worse and worse the more books I read, there isn't a single intersting (or even real) character, and the story more and more gave me the impression of simply being invented as it went along. FInishing each book was just frustrating, it gave me nothing, at best you felt that "if I just buy the next one maybe this one will make sense..".. but no.

In some ways the TV series works out better, even as it follows the books closely. It's kind of well-produced, and I sometimes find myself watching bits and pieces while switching to other channels or text-TV (to read the news) many times during an episode.

-Tor
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Don't despair.....
You can watch any episode of Game of Thrones, or mostly any show on TV on Project Free TV. It takes a little getting used to because the links come from sites around the world.
Try to not click on any of the links once the small screen comes up and close any window that pops up. Enlarge to full screen and the adds go away. I've watched the entire series in the last 6 months. There's also a fairly deep movie list - for free.

Here's the link to Game of Thrones:
http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/inte ... f_thrones/
Tor

Post by Tor »

I would be very surprised if that link doesn't lead to pirated downloads. I would stay away, and I wouldn't post such stuff.

-Tor
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

No way I could sit in my desk chair and watch all those hours of TV on my computer monitor. I'm amazed that people are able to tolerate it.
I know that I could somehow get that content into our large screen TV, but I just don't care that much.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

brewerpaul wrote:I know that I could somehow get that content into our large screen TV
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... s/apple_tv
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

brewerpaul wrote:No way I could sit in my desk chair and watch all those hours of TV on my computer monitor. I'm amazed that people are able to tolerate it.
I know that I could somehow get that content into our large screen TV, but I just don't care that much.
MTGuru wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:I know that I could somehow get that content into our large screen TV
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... s/apple_tv
The Tv player requires an Adobe Flash plugin (upgrade) and as far as I'm aware Adobe no longer supports/runs flash for IOS/OSX devices.
Last edited by Jleo Fipple on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm able to plug my MacBook into an HDTV with this adaptor. (Although, for mysterious reasons it doesn't cooperate with every tv I've plugged it into.)
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

emmline wrote:I'm able to plug my MacBook into an HDTV with this adaptor. (Although, for mysterious reasons it doesn't cooperate with every tv I've plugged it into.)
Hi Emmline,

The "Moshi MiniDisplay Port to HDMI Adapter" that you purchased from Amazon currently has more negative reviews than positive. Next move if I was you would be to look for a device with more favourable feedback like this adapter by Neeto further research may even turn up something better :)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Jleo Fipple wrote:The Tv player requires an Adobe Flash plugin (upgrade) and as far as I'm aware Adobe no longer supports/runs flash for IOS/OSX devices.
Yeah, I don't know about that Free TV site, which looks like an illegal, infringing service. And I didn't take it that Paul was referring only to Game of Thrones. AFAIK, Apple TV supports legal iTunes, Netflix, Hulu and YouTube, and there's an aTV Flash add-on with FLV support.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

gadget addictions... all of it! how about just sitting quietly and doing nothing... :)
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

I just recently got a heads-up about the series from someone who tends to like the same sort of TV / movies I do. (thanks Farf !) I'll probably wind up buying the DVDs used and then passing them on to friends. In the meantime, I had a full-immersion experience for several days (thanks Farf :really: )where I watched bazillions of You Tube clips, read reviews and synopses...and there's some very well thought out articles, too (ex. roles of women as compared to those in other TV dramas).

I immediately was drawn to Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) and then saw his interview on The Daily Show! Great interview -- very dry sense of humor

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-m ... r-dinklage

Here Dinklage explains that they are called to the set by ravens, who also bring them their lattes.

And of course, there's lots of spoofs

Loved this one, but don't watch it if you haven't seen Seasons 1 & 2 -- it's got lots of spoilers (and some naughty words)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rapo0h-RDnk
Watching Game of Thrones I haven't left home
Told everyone that I had the flu
It's an obsession I'm filled with depression
cus it's the end of season two
etc
Peewit

Post by Peewit »

I haven't seen the show (yet), but I have a proprietary pride in Peter Dinklage, who is a theater graduate of my alma mater, Bennington College :D (many years after my time) .

He gave the 2012 Commencement address, which you can watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuEfEv0OlsY
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings