High D with nice second octave for under £100.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
maki
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: High D with nice second octave for under £100.

Post by maki »

Jan >^..^< wrote:
Sirchronique wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:If you want a whistle that sounds like a whistle, you can hardly get better than the O'Briain. I'm not sure I understand this "too trad" thing - you want a whistle that doesn't sound like a whistle? :-?

I think he means he doesn't want one that has the generation or feadog, etc. sort of sound .
Hate to jump in here, but I have a question. I only have one whistle right now - Ellis wooden high D. (My one whistleness is about to change as I am expecting a package from Mack Hoover! :D )

How is the generation or feadog sound different from the other whistles? What makes them trad sounding?

In my beginner opinion, its the chiff. Lots of chiff.
That and they are difficult to make sound good without a lot of practice and ablity.
Still, as a whistler, you should own and expericene both to have a benchmark.
You could pick up both for less than $20.

I believe you will love your Hoover, btw, I own almost as many Hoovers as Freemans.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

maki wrote:
Jan >^..^< wrote:
How is the generation or feadog sound different from the other whistles? What makes them trad sounding?

In my beginner opinion, its the chiff. Lots of chiff.
That and they are difficult to make sound good without a lot of practice and ablity.
Still, as a whistler, you should own and experience both to have a benchmark.
You could pick up both for less than $20.

I believe you will love your Hoover, btw, I own almost as many Hoovers as Freemans.
I think the possibly more likely reply to the question would be that up until, say, the mid 1990s, the Generation-type (which includes Oak/Feadóg etc) was the only type of whistle available. It was the type of whistle that defined the sound of traditional (Irish) whistling.

I don't think 'chiff' is quite the right criterium but YMMV. And FWIW I don't think one type of whistle is particularly better or worse sounding in a beginner's hands than another. At best they will show the player's inexperience in different ways.
My brain hurts

Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Mr.Gumby wrote:FWIW I don't think one type of whistle is particularly better or worse sounding in a beginner's hands than another. At best they will show the player's inexperience in different ways.
:lol: So what I hear you saying is I'm gonna sound bad no matter which one I play! :lol:
"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose." Augustine
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Jan >^..^< wrote: :lol: So what I hear you saying is I'm gonna sound bad no matter which one I play! :lol:

No, it's perfectly normal and acceptable for a beginner to sound like a beginner.

I am saying the choice of whistle doesn't make a large difference one way or the other. I think as a beginner you're better served by playing one (decent) whistle and sticking with it until you acquire a degree of experience and skill rather than go on a buying spree and end up with a whole lot of different whistles that have different technical demands for you to cope with.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Well, following all the positive comments, I'm going to give the O'Briain a try courtesy of Squirrel. I'll report back how I get on with it.
maki

Post by maki »

Peter Duggan mentioned a Sindt, I believe.
It's a great whistle, my favorite. But to find one?

He also mentioned a Bracker narrow bore, of which I haven't tried.

As for the Cillian O'Brien, I'll send a Pm.
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Jan >^..^< wrote: :lol: So what I hear you saying is I'm gonna sound bad no matter which one I play! :lol:

No, it's perfectly normal and acceptable for a beginner to sound like a beginner.

I am saying the choice of whistle doesn't make a large difference one way or the other. I think as a beginner you're better served by playing one (decent) whistle and sticking with it until you acquire a degree of experience and skill rather than go on a buying spree and end up with a whole lot of different whistles that have different technical demands for you to cope with.
I'm just teasing you, Mr Gumby! :P I agree with what you are saying. I really appreciate your comment about playing one decent whistle to start with. I think it is important not only so that a beginner doesn't have to deal with a lot of different technical demands, but also because as a beginner, I don't really know what sounds I like or don't like. I need to learn the instrument first and then experiment with different whistles with different sounds.

I learned this the hard way when I was buying Native American style flutes. I bought a bunch before I knew what I was looking for. Ended up with a bunch I didn't really like and sold one that I later loved and should have kept. :(

Would you say I should stick with one whistle (as you said) or would it be ok to get a couple from the same maker to try out different keys, loudness, etc?
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Maki, I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the O'Briain.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Would you say I should stick with one whistle (as you said) or would it be ok to get a couple from the same maker to try out different keys, loudness, etc?
By all means try what you like, just do the majority of your practice on one whistle you're comfortable with.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Good advice. I do stick to one Low D. It's just finding the right high D for me.
maki

Post by maki »

Mikethebook wrote:Maki, I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the O'Briain.
Sorry, I'm a terrible writter. Maybe someone else can discribe the O'Brien?
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
By all means try what you like, just do the majority of your practice on one whistle you're comfortable with.
Thank you for your great advice, O Great Gumby! :love:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jan >^..^< wrote:I learned this the hard way when I was buying Native American style flutes. I bought a bunch before I knew what I was looking for. Ended up with a bunch I didn't really like and sold one that I later loved and should have kept. :(
Off topic question: Which NAf maker did you settle on?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Steve Bliven wrote:
Jan >^..^< wrote:I learned this the hard way when I was buying Native American style flutes. I bought a bunch before I knew what I was looking for. Ended up with a bunch I didn't really like and sold one that I later loved and should have kept. :(
Off topic question: Which NAf maker did you settle on?

Best wishes.

Steve
My favorites are:
* http://kuzinbruceflutes.tripod.com/ - Bruce makes a very nice flute that is very affordable, too. (He usually moves first time fluties to the head of his list so they can get a flute quicker.)
* http://www.featherridgeflutes.com/ - Randy makes a really nice flute, too. More expensive but more eye candy! (His site seems to be down at the moment.)
* http://www.ellisflutes.com/ - Yep, the same Low D whistle Geoffrey! His flutes are wonderful but they are in short supply. He makes them occasionally and puts them on his "in stock" flutes page.
* http://www.treeoflifedesigns.com/ - Ed is a newer maker, but his flutes are clear and nicely made. He uses lots of different types of wood. Very good flutes!

All of these are good folks who make great flutes. There are some others, but these flutes seem to have more heart to them than others.