Olwell serial number?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Olwell serial number?

Post by keithsandra »

I got my all African-blackwood, keyless Olwell late last year but can't find any serial number on it, just the Olwell name. Any ideas before I bother the Olwells?

BTW, it's a great instrument. If this flute was a horse I'd describe it as an intelligent, responsive, patient "teacher", a well bred, fine creature with great capabilities. It's loud, sweet, pure and assertive each note promising various subtleties of sound. I'd love to compare it's voice to one of the Olwell's Rudall types.

I know enthusiasm is frowned on here, (en = of; thuse = God), but offer this personal experience for what's it's worth anyway ...

Please let me know about that registration number.

All the best,

K.
Herb
antispam: No

Re: Olwell serial number?

Post by Herb »

Just remove the end cap from the head joint. The serial number is stamped on the end of the head joint tube. This, of course, is just to confuse new owners. The bodies are not numbered.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

keithsandra wrote:I know enthusiasm is frowned on here, ...
:-? Since when?

And BTW, what does a distant etymology have to do with it?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
megapop

Post by megapop »

Nanohedron wrote:

keithsandra wrote:(en = of; thuse = God)
=> CCCP §4 maybe?
return null;
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Neat etymology, for me. Didn't know that.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Bear in mind that Jonathon Swift, the good Dean of Saint Patrick's Church, Dublin, referred to Puritans and various 'holy-roller' type sectarians, as Enthusiasticks. His take was that while they claimed to be filled with the 'Holy Spirit', they were full of somethin.' . .certainly themselves.
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

Since you are as appreciative of your Olwell as every owner is, you might be interested in the recent documentary on Patrick and Aaron

http://www.thekeymastermovie.com/
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Herb, thanks for your help. But I've looked inside the end cap and down the tube with a flashlight and magnifying glass and can't find anything stamped there. There's a hand written, silver coloured number 3 on the end of the "cork", that's all. Maybe I have a rare Olwell without a serial number stamped on it, like one of those valuable misprinted postage stamps?

An Seanduine: OUCH! You mean hubris? I pray not ... (heh, heh). I thought that provocative etymology would be taken out of my intended context. Serves me right.

All the best,

Keith.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Was this flute new when you got it? I have two Olwells without serial numbers, both from early in his career, but I thought he'd been numbering all of them for 20 years or more. The serial number of my newer flute is hard to see, as it's stamped in pretty small numerals, which would be even harder to see if it was blackwood rather than box.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

PS: CHAS: I got the flute about seven months ago.

K.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

megapop wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

keithsandra wrote:(en = of; thuse = God)
=> CCCP §4 maybe?
Well, yes, that is of course the reference. That wasn't my question. Let me clarify: If enthusiasm (of all things) if frowned on here, it's simple - tell the frowners to shove it (well, but nicely, please :wink: ). I've done so myself, and may yet again; at a party, no one likes a turd in the punchbowl. As for invoking the etymology: this is an egregious stretch of rationalisation that in effect implicates the moderatorship in said offense, which isn't true, and bless my heart, I take it a bit personally. "Enthusiasm" ("enthuse" is a back-formation, BTW, never originally an actual word in English, not that it matters nowadays) does not mean anything it used to, so the moderators would never go so far with a needless exercise in the dustily bookish like that in the name of oppressing you. We have our own mad evil skillz without that already, thankyouverymuch. And in case you didn't know, "egregious" used to be a compliment, akin to how we usually use "outstanding". It ain't now. We prefer to operate in the up-to-date. It's so much easier for everyone, don't you think?

Sorry - if what I'm ranting about was all actually supposed to be humor, spank me and call me Grinch.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Well, Nanohedron, you have the distinction of being the first man to ask me to spank him, Grinch or no ... Thank you, but, er, no thank you.

And for that matter, not just first male, not even any female. Never been asked, never thought of doing it; too hotly busy when the opportunity might otherwise have suggested it ...

Just sayin' ...

K.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Given the proper time and place, I have found it to be actually a rather jolly pursuit. I usually don't wait to be asked, though; surprise has its benefits. :wink:
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Since when are us flute makers required to stamp serial numbers on the instruments we make?

I'd say, don't worry about it. Its how it plays that is the most important. Not how big the number on it is. Otherwise, we'll start by numbering the first ones at 1,000,000,000,000.

Happy Spring!

Casey
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Casey Burns wrote:Its how it plays that is the most important. Not how big the number on it is. Otherwise, we'll start by numbering the first ones at 1,000,000,000,000.
He has a point.