Whistle Range

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jan >^..^<
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle Range

Post by Jan >^..^< »

This may sound like a silly question, but do all whistles have the same range?

I ask this because in the Native American style flute world, it depends on the maker. Some flutes get 3 notes above the octave, some don't. (I know whistles have a much better range than the NAsFs do.)

Is that true with whistles, or are they pretty standard? Also, do the lower whistles have the same range as the higher whistles or do the lower whistles have less range?
"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose." Augustine
Feadoggie

Re: Whistle Range

Post by Feadoggie »

I would not say there is a standard range per se, however, any whistle should be capable of playing two full octaves above the bell note. So, in D whistle speak, you should be able to play from D to d two octaves up. If you'd like to call it such that would be standard practice. Most of the ITM repertoire fits in that range. Some whistles will go a bit higher into a third octave.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The nominal range of a whistle is two octaves.

Most are pretty playable across that range. Some begin to go out of tune above the second octave g (there is usually a finger or two you can fiddle with on the right hand to bring them back in tune). Most you can get a note or two into the third octave, a few can go up to the third octave G or A; I think I even got a B on a Burke once. Generally you don't want to go there for fear of hearing loss or just cheesing off the neighbors and their dogs.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jan >^..^< wrote: Also, do the lower whistles have the same range as the higher whistles or do the lower whistles have less range?
I overlooked that part of your question in my response. Generally speaking they are pretty much the same - two octaves. But it will depend on the whistle maker if they go higher than that. The issue that can come up in the lower whistles is that the higher you go the more pronounced the flat notes become. So, as Chas observes, cylindrical whistles can frequently be flat above the second octave g note. On low whistles that effect might be even more obvious so even if the whistle wants to go higher it is not useful to play up there. There are exceptions and the makers of those whistles are geniuses.

Feadoggie
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Jan >^..^< wrote:This may sound like a silly question, but do all whistles have the same range?
Maybe. A pertinent question might be, "Do all whistlers have the same range?"
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jan >^..^< wrote:This may sound like a silly question, but do all whistles have the same range?
hoopy mike wrote:Maybe. A pertinent question might be, "Do all whistlers have the same range?"
I can get about 40 feet with a standard Gen D, maybe 2-3 feet more with a Freeman tweaked. Delrin has even greater range in my experience but seems to suffer in accuracy.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mercy! You know, Steve, my first thought at reading the OP's question was to pull out the old re*&^)er joke.

Q: What' the range of a re*&^)er?
A: About 100 feet with a running start.

But I exercised some restraint. Thank you for getting to it. :D

Actually I prefer the range of the banjo. The long neck favors a hammer throwing style.

Feadoggie
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

There are traditions and then there are traditions....

Speaking of which, we're nearing the time for Gumby's Coltrane message.

Best wishes.

Steve
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Now you're getting me all jazzed up. :D
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Hm . . . methinks there's some weirdness going on here! 8)

So, if I want to hit somebody with my whistle, I need to stay within 40 or so feet of them?

Oh, good grief! Now look what you made me do! :P

OK, so most whistles are in the two octave range. Are the fingerings for the notes pretty standard?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jan >^..^< wrote:Hm . . . methinks there's some weirdness going on here! 8)
Nah, just standard "topic drift".
Jan >^..^< wrote:So, if I want to hit somebody with my whistle, I need to stay within 40 or so feet of them?
Hit? Throw? Heavens, how my comments are misconstrued. I, a steadfast practitioner of non-violence, meant "for them to hear you" you need be about 40 feet with a Gen. It's the re*&^)er that has a range of some 100 feet. All clear now?

Best wishes.

Steve
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jan >^..^< wrote:Hm . . . methinks there's some weirdness going on here!
Never!
Jan >^..^< wrote:OK, so most whistles are in the two octave range. Are the fingerings for the notes pretty standard?
Yes and no. Basically you can depend on each six holed whistle to play the diatonic major scale for the key the whistle takes its name with the same fingerings. In other words all D whistles will play the D major scale with the same fingerings. And all C whistles play the C major scale with the same fingerings. Etc., etc. That's because the intervals in a diatonic major scale are the same no matter what the name of the scale. So the relative positioning of the holes from pitch to pitch use the same arrangement.

But each whistle plays a second diatonic major scale easily. The D whistle plays in G major as well. But to do that it needs to sound a C natural note which is not part of the D major diatonic scale. So you can half-hole that on all whistles. In that case all whistles still use the same fingerings.

But many folks also use a cross fingered C natural note. The fingering for that can vary from whistle to whistle. You have to see what fingering is tuned best in that case. So, all whistles do not use the same fingerings in that case.

Then consider that there are whistles tuned in minor scales, pentatonic scales, bugle scales and there are whistles tuned in exotic scales like the Ahava Rabbah scale. And there are seven holed whistles, eight holed whistles and ten holed whistles. So no, all whistles do not use the same fingerings.

But you will achieve a more effective range with your re#$^er if you use the standard thumb and index fingering and an end over end toss.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Steve Bliven wrote:
Jan >^..^< wrote:Hm . . . methinks there's some weirdness going on here! 8)
Nah, just standard "topic drift".
Jan >^..^< wrote:So, if I want to hit somebody with my whistle, I need to stay within 40 or so feet of them?
Hit? Throw? Heavens, how my comments are misconstrued. I, a steadfast practitioner of non-violence, meant "for them to hear you" you need be about 40 feet with a Gen. It's the re*&^)er that has a range of some 100 feet. All clear now?

Best wishes.

Steve
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Feadoggie wrote:
Jan >^..^< wrote:Hm . . . methinks there's some weirdness going on here!
Never!
:P
Jan >^..^< wrote:OK, so most whistles are in the two octave range. Are the fingerings for the notes pretty standard?
Yes and no. Basically you can depend on each six holed whistle to play the diatonic major scale for the key the whistle takes its name with the same fingerings. In other words all D whistles will play the D major scale with the same fingerings. And all C whistles play the C major scale with the same fingerings. Etc., etc. That's because the intervals in a diatonic major scale are the same no matter what the name of the scale. So the relative positioning of the holes from pitch to pitch use the same arrangement.

But each whistle plays a second diatonic major scale easily. The D whistle plays in G major as well. But to do that it needs to sound a C natural note which is not part of the D major diatonic scale. So you can half-hole that on all whistles. In that case all whistles still use the same fingerings.

But many folks also use a cross fingered C natural note. The fingering for that can vary from whistle to whistle. You have to see what fingering is tuned best in that case. So, all whistles do not use the same fingerings in that case.

Then consider that there are whistles tuned in minor scales and there are whistles tuned in exotic scales like the Avhava Rabbah scale. And there are seven holed whistles, eight holed whistles and ten holed whistles. So all whistle do not use the same fingerings.

But you will achieve a more effective range with your whistle if you use the standard thumb and index fingering and an end over end toss.

Feadoggie
OK, now I have a headache figuring that all out! So it sounds similar to the NAFs. Different makers can use different fingerings. But if I get whistles from the same maker, all of those will have the same fingering, yes?

Whistles with different scales?! Oh my! I WILL need them all!!! :D

And thanks for the throwing tip! I might need it if I really stink at playing and someone hackles me!! :x
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

No need for a headache. You can generally say that all whistles use the same fingerings. The other cases I mentioned are, overall, obscure occurrances.

Being able to use the same fingerings makes transposing tunes a breeze. Learn a tune in D. Then to play it in another key just pick up another whistle and play with the same fingerings. It is all so simple in the end.

The C natural is the only sticky bit that you ever have to consider. But since a lot of tunes we play with a whistle are up tempo dance tunes, and the C natural may not be a note held very long, no one will notice if you use a favored tuning regardless of the whistle. Just play on.

Feadoggie