Practice tips/techniques

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jan >^..^<
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Practice tips/techniques

Post by Jan >^..^< »

OK, I did a search for the words practice and technique and got nothing. SO . . . Anyone have any words of wisdom for a newbie on how best to practice?

What makes for a good routine? How long? Practice what? Is it OK to end a practice session by playing around with songs that I can't play yet or will that teach me to play mistakes? Is it safe to just noodle around with the notes and make up stuff? (I read on this forum and on another forum that it is better to play really slowly if need be to make sure you are playing the correct notes. If not, you just learn the mistakes and continue to make them.)

I know I need to relax and have fun. I just don't want to be sloppy and not progress in my playing. (Been there, done that too many times before.)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
"Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose." Augustine
Mr.Gumby

Re: Practice tips/techniques

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's probably most important to have an aural image of what you want to sound like, what you want to achieve. Then you'll have to work on getting there.

As a teacher of music I find there are many students who come without any idea what they want. They just fancy the idea of playing an instrument without knowing what they're going to do with it exactly (and then expect the teacher to fill that void). On the other hand I see people who know the music they want to play and love it. They're much more likely to work with focus towards what they want.

I mean, people here go on and on about rolls and cranns and cuts and graces. When you're not interested in (Irish) traditional music, they won't be much use to you and you're probably better off putting your focus on another area.

Just saying.
My brain hurts

Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Your enthusiasm is catching.

I think you already said it. Practise slowly, speed will definately follow all in good time.

If you record yourself now and again at the end of April I bet you will see huge improvements that will satisfy your thirst.

I'm only going to give you one other tip, because it was something I didn't know about when I started and I had to relearn it - very annoying. You need to lift your top finger to vent the high (upper octave) d note to make it nice and pure and clear.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

Jan >^..^< wrote: I know I need to relax and have fun.
Definitely! There are times when some hard work is necessary, but these are pennywhistles, so being relaxed and enjoying yourself will help your playing.
Infernaltootler wrote:If you record yourself now and again at the end of April I bet you will see huge improvements that will satisfy your thirst.
I've noticed this myself recently.

And will add...those breakthroughs in your playing progress will often come when you least expect them and will be very pleasant surprises, so keep at it and don't get discouraged!
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I've been playing for a little over two years now.

First recommendation: Carry a whistle with you and practice whenever you get a chance, for a little at a time or for longer stretches. If you have to wait for a bus or a class, or have a lunch break, or sitting at a stop light or waiting for the bank teller, you can be working on little bits of tunes, trying to tighten up and sharpen transitions and ornamentation.

Second recommendation: Learn a tune well before trying to play it fast. A lot of whistling seems to involve muscle memory, and the more times you execute a motion incorrectly, the more likely you are to continue the mistake. I've found that when I learn a tune slowly and deliberately, I can play them flawlessly at faster speeds far more easily, because every time I practiced, I did it the right way. Think of it like this: Every time you successfully finger a section of a tune, you take a step forward, making a little connection in your brain. Each successive successful attempt builds up that connection, and each failed attempt weakens it or forms another one that is wrong. Getting it right every time, even if you have to go slow, saves time in the long run, and the speed will come. If you're having a lot of difficulty with a section, run through it really slowly several times, doing it right, to fix it in your brain.

I suppose I should also mention that there are countless ways to play any given tune, so don't get too fixated on finding "The Way" to play the tune. Listen to multiple versions of the same tune and figure out the basic structure. You can start by imitating the person playing your favorite version and you can "personalize" the tune later when your skills have grown. If they do a really flouncy version of the tune, you might want to learn a more basic version first, just so you have a better chance at playing with others. The Foinn Seisiun CDs are pretty good for this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb ... nics%2C228

Have patience. I get frustrated with my playing until I realize that if I had started learning whistle in Band in 6th grade, I'd be in 8th grade now, and nobody really expects professional greatness from an 8th grader, and anyone who does probably wouldn't let their kid touch a whistle.

Think about this: In two years, with steady practice, you could be pretty good, amazing your friends, being tolerated at sessions, on the road to awesomeness. OR, you could be picking up the whistle again, wishing you had kept practicing, and still wallowing in beginner terribleness. (acknowledgement of a spectrum of possibilities between the two extremes)

I started playing back in 2002, the summer before my senior year. Had I continued, I'd probably be living in a mansion right now, surrounded by Type II whistle groupies, living off the royalties for my #1 hit album "Electric Aluminosity". But I didn't. So now, I'm only at the beginning of year three of my whistling journey, laid off and going back to school, surrounded by people who would kill me if I wasn't so good looking (and needed for baby watching).

So keep practicing.
Nathaniel James Dowell
maki

Post by maki »

Couple of things that help me.
Like AngelicBeaver says, have a whisle with you as much as possible.
There are three piece whistles, telescopic whistles, and super rugged Susatos.
Second, keep a relaxed grip. Its easy get a death grip when you try to hard,
its my personal bete noir.

Get the tunes in your head, what ever you want to play.
Having a musical back ground you'll probably have no issues with that.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Yep, what everyone said. Just practice the music you like.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Infernaltootler wrote:I'm only going to give you one other tip, because it was something I didn't know about when I started and I had to relearn it - very annoying. You need to lift your top finger to vent the high (upper octave) d note to make it nice and pure and clear.
Actually, most fingering charts give vented D as the standard fingering, and unvented as the alternate. So you came at it rather backwards. A consequence of living in Darkest Buckinghamshire, no doubt. :P

It really depends on the whistle. Many whistles give a perfectly good and clear d without venting. Then the problem is to break the habit of venting when it's not necessary. Your reflexes should allow you to do either, depending on the melody.

For example, when crossing the register break from d down to c-nat, venting makes sense. You need lift only one or two fingers to go from oxxxxx to oxxxox or oxxoox (lazy fingering). But crossing the break from d down to B is easier with xxxxxx to xooxxx.

But scuttlebut is that Fleadh judges will dock you points for not venting the d. So caveat fleadh-er.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
bogman

Post by bogman »

Along with the suggestions already put forward, listening to good examples of playing of the instrument you're trying to learn is incredibly important. In the car, in the bath, just about any free minute, and listen intently. It's amazing how many folk can technically play relatively well but are like headless chickens when it comes to making music. The value of physical practise is massively devalued if you don't know what you're supposed to sound like. And you'll realise that the more you listen the more there is to hear.
Last edited by bogman on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

Wow! What great advice! Thank you so much!

Mr. Gumby, that's some very simple but profound advice, the way I see it! I am in that category of just learning to play the instrument. I've never really thought about what I wanted to sound like - except good! :P I'm going to really have to intentionally think about that.

I've ordered "Song of the Irish Whistle 1" by Joanie Madden. Don't know her music, but it had good reviews.

I'm going to have to print all of these suggestions off so I can use them! You all are a great help! :love:
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Bogman is right. At the start of all things, I picked up a copy of Mary Bergin's Feadog Stain and listened to it briefly. A few weeks ago (two years later), I listened to a few of the tunes and was amazed at how much more I could pick out. At the beginning, it's all fluttery, twittery bits, but eventually, you start hearing the ornamentation and how the player constructs the tune. I still prefer low whistles and flutes to the high whistles, but my my appreciation has grown since my dark beginning days.

Mary Bergin is a very traditional player you'll probably want to listen to. She's one of the best, as is Joanie Madden.

Other great whistlers are Brian Finnegan (I particularly like his album "The Ravishing Genius of Bones") and Michael McGoldrick. They mix some low whistles and flutes in there, but you can hear some different styles and see what you might want to aim for. Brian Finnegan seems to use the high whistles more than Michael McGoldrick, but Brian Finnegan has a more unconventional tounging style. Very different.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

AngelicBeaver wrote:Bogman is right. At the start of all things, I picked up a copy of Mary Bergin's Feadog Stain and listened to it briefly. A few weeks ago (two years later), I listened to a few of the tunes and was amazed at how much more I could pick out. At the beginning, it's all fluttery, twittery bits, but eventually, you start hearing the ornamentation and how the player constructs the tune. I still prefer low whistles and flutes to the high whistles, but my my appreciation has grown since my dark beginning days.

Mary Bergin is a very traditional player you'll probably want to listen to. She's one of the best, as is Joanie Madden.

Other great whistlers are Brian Finnegan (I particularly like his album "The Ravishing Genius of Bones") and Michael McGoldrick. They mix some low whistles and flutes in there, but you can hear some different styles and see what you might want to aim for. Brian Finnegan seems to use the high whistles more than Michael McGoldrick, but Brian Finnegan has a more unconventional tounging style. Very different.
There's that same thing that Mr. Gumby was talking about. OK, I'll listen to more music and figure out what I want to sound like.

Also, I am glad you said that things sound all fluttery and twittery at the beginning but that I will begin to pick out the ornamentations. Last night I was listening to some music on Amazon that someone suggested and, to be honest, each song sounded very much like the last one! I guess I will really have to develop an ear for ornamentation.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, all that, and slow down! I've heard way too many recordings of amateur whistlers playing at the speed of light, and very often it sounds terrible, both for tuning and phrasing. Check out our Clips and Snips archives on Chiff (in the index-now called Tinwhistle Tunes) to hear both great whistling and bad as well.

Listen to the tone you are producing, and keep in mind the timing, and phrasing (by listening to singers very often for slow songs), and then later on, ornamentation will be a good project. I'm still early on the long road myself, but I'm in no hurry to get there!
~~~~
Barry
Jan >^..^<

Post by Jan >^..^< »

greenspiderweb wrote:Yes, all that, and slow down! I've heard way too many recordings of amateur whistlers playing at the speed of light, and very often it sounds terrible, both for tuning and phrasing. Check out our Clips and Snips archives on Chiff (in the index-now called Tinwhistle Tunes) to hear both great whistling and bad as well.

Listen to the tone you are producing, and keep in mind the timing, and phrasing (by listening to singers very often for slow songs), and then later on, ornamentation will be a good project. I'm still early on the long road myself, but I'm in no hurry to get there!
OK, thanks! I'll go listen to Tinwhistle Tunes and hopefully there will be some good examples of bad playing because it will be encouraging to hear that others started out bad, too! That makes perfect sense to me! :lol:
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Oh, and one more thing to keep in mind: breath control is paramount to any wind instument! :o :poke: :thumbsup:

Can you tell, I like blue?! :really:
~~~~
Barry