I don't get this adversity to tonguing...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Clover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

I don't get this adversity to tonguing...

Post by Clover »

I read the posts, everyone here seems to be against the tongue. I listen to my favorite whistle and flute players and the tongue is all over the place. What am I missing?
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Re: I don't get this adversity to tonguing...

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

My guess is that many associate "tonguing" with how a recorder is played, usually tonguing every note. Most people tongue to either "start" the whistle on a phrase, or to emphasize a cut. (Some are of the opinion that every cut should be tongued, but I like to pick and choose which I tongue for emphasis). I don't think people are against tonguing three or for times in a section, but tonguing every (or almost every) note isn't using everything the whistle has to offer.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Two things strike me:

1) It seems to me that there is much more tonguing amongst the whistlers than the fluters. Think of someone like Sean Ryan and the whole school of whistlers who emulate him. Fluters tend to huff instead. (I think.)

2) I think it can be hard, especially when listening to fluters, to hear whether they're using tonguing or some other form of articulation. Some that I could have sworn were using tonguing loads turn out to be just very adept at breath pulsing or what people call the glottal stop. I'd be more keen on the pulsing than the stops, personally, but that's another matter.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

It's like any other technique-- it needs to be used judiciously. On some whistles it's virtually essential in order to get the higher notes to "speak" without cracking.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Clover wrote:I read the posts, everyone here seems to be against the tongue. I listen to my favorite whistle and flute players and the tongue is all over the place. What am I missing?
I'm not up on what the modern guys are doing nowadays. What I know, the style I learned, is how the older guys played back in the 1970s when I was first learning flute and whistle. With these guys little or no tonguing was done on the flute, loads of tonguing was done on the whistle.

The same guy could play the same tune on flute, then on whistle, and on the flute no tonguing and on the whistle loads of tonguing.

The old-style fluteplayers did lots of "pushing" but this was done with the diaphragm not the tongue.

On the whistle, and this is the hardest thing for people coming from "classical" flute or recorder to learn, despite the fact that there is quite a bit of tonguing the underlying style is legato. I might say that it's a legato style that's accentuated with tonguing.

"Classical" fluteplayers and recorder players, when they approach Irish flute or whistle, seem to always use a detached style. What they're trying to do is create each note as a complete entity with a beautiful attack, core, and decay. Irish reels and jigs aren't like that! The individual notes don't have that sort of value but are just parts of a stream of sound.

The difference is like reading a sentence as it would be spoken with the words all flowing together and reading... a... sentence... with... each... word... having... a... separate... beginning... and... end.

At Irish flute workshops I've even had to resort to asking some of the "classical" people to play with their tongues held against the roof of their mouths: there are people who, unless they do that, are simply incapable of playing legato.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

Did anybody other than me get a juvenile chuckle out of this topic and the uncontrollable urge to respond : "That's what she said..."

Nobody? :o
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Yeah. I wanted to do the whole 'aversity versus adversity' lecture, too, but I guess not enough of us care about any of that these days. At least they tried to spell it out. (OMG!!!).
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

crookedtune wrote:Yeah. I wanted to do the whole 'aversity versus adversity' lecture, too, but I guess not enough of us care about any of that these days. At least they tried to spell it out. (OMG!!!).
That's for people who've been to unaversity.

It's "aversion".
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Best wishes
from my 5th grade English Teacher, Edna Brown
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Shouldn't that be: Grammer Police? As in: Badge's? We don't need no steenkin' badge's. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

Speaking only for myself, a newbie, tonguing can be a crutch to cover up for what the fingers are lacking in technique. After some recent re-reading of sections of Bill Ochs' tutorial and Brother Steve's page, I've been trying to strip the tonguing out (except for starting a tune or sometimes after a breath) to force myself to rely on the fingers for articulation and ornamentation. For one thing: it has really shown that cutting with T1 needs some work, and I'm making slow and steady progress with it.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Good for you! Down with tongue's.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

We sanction tonguing, but impose sanctions on toungeing and tounging.
crookedtune wrote:Good for you! Down with tongue's.
Is that the name of a bar? Tongue's lounge...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

StevieJ wrote:Is that the name of a bar? Tongue's lounge...
Where you can relax on a chaise longue ... er, lounge.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

for people who've been to unaversity.
... it can be rough, ploughing through these mis-spellings, he coughed :twisted:

who was it who said "two great nations divided by a common language"
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."