Should a flute player double on penny whistle?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Clover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Should a flute player double on penny whistle?

Post by Clover »

Are you a better player if you learn the high D whistle along with the low D side blown?
Feadoggie

Re: Should a flute player double on penny whistle?

Post by Feadoggie »

Clover wrote:Are you a better player if you learn the high D whistle along with the low D side blown?
Generalizations like that are pretty meaningless. There is no harm, no disadvantage to playing both. Whether it makes you a better player depends on how "you" play each instrument. They have much in common but they are different animals as well. I play both but I also play a dozen other instruments besides. In some players that can't help but make you a "jack of all master on none" type of player. But in others it broadens their musical knowledge and helps them become better players/musicians than they might be otherwise. It's all up to you.

The flute is well worth dedicating oneself to for a long time.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Not that I'm so wonderful at either :D but my first reaction was :tantrum: think ya can stop me? :lol:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Nope, don't do it. Stay away from the whistle.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I found that, once I took up the flute, I more or less stopped practising the whistle. The reason for that was simply that the flute takes so much time and effort.

On the flip side, I've found that, although I never practice whistle any more, I'm a much better whistler than I used to be, and this appears to be just because of the flute practice.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Jack Coen certainly advised against it.

m.d.
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

Hammy isn't in favour too. I tend to play it sometimes at home but indeed the flute is hard enough to keep me busy with ......
JohnB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnB »

Like Benhall I started on whistle before the flute and also don't practise the whistle, but my playing has improved with my flute playing.
I find a whistle handy if i've got a few spare minutes rather than get the flute out as there's always several lying around. I take one along to sessions in case there's a flute problem or my embouchure gets tired - I can't see that it affects my flute playing and there are plenty of good flute players who play whistle.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I wonder what specific reasons Hammy and Jack Coen had against the idea.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I play the whistle in the car. I suppose I could keep a polymer flute in the car, but I'm a lot more comfortable with a $10 foot-long whistle than I would be with a few hundred dollar 2-foot-long flute. I do it pretty much to keep tunes in my head.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Like Chas, I use a whistle to learn tunes and play when time or location doesn't lend to playing a flute.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Though I meant my earlier post in jest, it's true that I avoid the whistle now though I wish I could play it more. I find it so difficult and challenging to keep up a good flute embouchure/sound/technique and whistle detracts from that. If at a session, I switch to whistle for a set, it takes me a while to re-find my flute chops. Others seem to have more talent/flexibility and go between the two. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I.D.10-t wrote:I wonder what specific reasons Hammy and Jack Coen had against the idea.

I didn't get the feeling Jack was so much against it, but he did tell me once that too much time spent on the whistle instead of flute adversely affected one's embouchure. Passing comment, really, so I was surprised to hear that he'd said the same elsewhere, and am not sure it was a truly deep conviction. As far as I know, Jack played whistle, too, but concentrated - and loved - flute far more. There certainly are enough great players out there who play both, and well.

In terms of the OP's original question, I don't see there's any particular advantage or reason to double on whistle while learning flute, although it's possible to concentrate more on finger work first, without worrying about embouchure at all. Personally, my ears have trouble handling high whistles, so I avoid the things in any case.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Gordon wrote:I didn't get the feeling Jack was so much against it, but he did tell me once that too much time spent on the whistle instead of flute adversely affected one's embouchure.
I would think that's simply because too much time spent away from the flute doing anything else might adversely affect one's embouchure through lack of constant conditioning, and not because the simpler physical demands of whistle embouchure might transfer negatively to flute. Different mouth muscle habits, sure. But that's true of speaking, eating and kissing too. And I don't think anyone would argue that staying dumb, emaciated and lovelorn is necessary to play the flute. :P

If anything, I'd think that it's interference between the different breath and articulation habits which are a greater risk. Going the other way, from my perspective as a whistler, I can often tell if a player is primarily a fluter transferring their flute habits rather than approaching the whistle on its own terms.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Personally I never practice the tin whistle, as the flute is more demanding and its practice will improve your whistling as well. I tend to play the tin whistle when my lips are tired at session, or when I have a gig for a change of sound.
MTGuru wrote:I can often tell if a player is primarily a fluter transferring their flute habits rather than approaching the whistle on its own terms.
... :wink:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute