Inexpensive Low Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jantodec
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Inexpensive Low Whistle?

Post by Jantodec »

Is it even appropriate to put those three words in the same sentence without the word "not" included somewhere?

I'm currently playing a Clarke "celtic" (which I believe is the same as the sweetone) and a feadög, having switched from a French Horn, and I'm still not comfortable playing in such a high register. I would love to add a low whistle to my arsenal, but it seems that they are all quite pricey, as I'm a college student.

If you can help, that'd be awesome. Also, is D generally the popular key for low whistles as well, or would you recommend a different keyed low whistle? it is my favorite key after all, however it might be nice to have options.

---
whistle well
---
Whistle Well
gerardo1000

Re: Inexpensive Low Whistle?

Post by gerardo1000 »

Two suggestions for an inexpensive Low whistle that plays well:
Becker whistle, he makes them here in the US, you can find his web site here in the forum.
His practice Low D, made with PVC pipe, is great value for the money (less than $ 30.00 shipped).
Second suggestion: the new Dixon "tapered" Low D. Made in England, very good.
you can buy it on E Bay from a Canadian seller named Allegro. Less than $ 70.00 shipped.
Jantodec

Post by Jantodec »

Thanks for the quick reply, Gerardo. I'll go check both of those out. I've never heard a PVC whistle, but it sounds like a neat concept. I noticed you said "Practice" whistle.
---
Whistle Well
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Or check Guido Gonzato's web site here. He has inexpensive whistles that play well — and instructions for making your own which are even less expensive.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

D is by far the most popular key for whistles low or high. If you want something in between both a low G or a low F can be nice and they are both popular keys in their own right. If you play only the high D now a Generation Bb whistle can be a nice change.

Back to low D. Inexpensive is a very relative term.

Every low D on earth is inexpensive compared to a French horn.

A $320 Burke low D is inexpensive compared to the sterling silver Copeland low D that sold last week for $1200. Both are good whisltes.

A $75 Dixon is inexpensive compared to the $320 Burke. Both are good whistles. The Dixon is a very good first low D on all accounts IMO.

I can offer you two other less expensive options as well. Daniel Bingamon (a long time contributor to these forums and the author of the TWCalc whistle design tool) makes a "Practice Low D"for a very low price.

You always have the option of making your own whistles. Guido Gonzato offers his method for construction and designs for a wide variety of keys on-line. I have a couple of whistles made by Dr. Gonzato and they are surprisingly nice. Making your own whistle is not a hard thing to do if you have time and some patience. You can learn a lot too and have some fun. Guido's method is the same used and acknowledged by Becker. I'm not a fan of Becker whistles but that's just my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
p51baby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by p51baby »

Hi Jantodec,

What is your price range for low whistles? Also, if you're a DIY kind of person, you might want to consider this guide to making your own whistles:

http://www.ggwhistles.com/howto/

From my own experience cheaper low whistles tend to start retail at $70 (Canadian) and up. Susatos, Tony Dixons are some of the more affordable ones if you're into ABS or Polymer. I started on a Susato and gradually moved onto other low whistles and all of them have different characteristics and tones. I would say Susatos are nice to begin with, but they tend to be on the louder and more recorder sounding side. I've not had too much experience with low Tony Dixons, but from what I gather they are a solid low whistle to start with. I have to say the low F Tony Dixon I owned did require more breath than my Susato, but to each their own.

Ds are standard for Irish traditional music, however, owning a Low D can be a bit of a challenge for some people due to the key spacing (some complain of cramping after excessive play time etc) You might want to read up on the piper's grip which is EZ mode for low whistling ;). I've heard some people suggest starting with some of the lower keyed Generation whistles (B flat). Other keys to consider are Low Gs and Fs are kind of a nice middle ground as the key spacing isn't as wide.

Hope that helps! I'm sure a more experienced Chiffer can offer more advice. My opinion is maybe trying some low whistles if you have access to them (be it music store or sessions) if you can to figure out what characteristics you are looking for. :)

Cheers,

Melany
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I know for a fact you can get a better whistle for the money if you go for a Bb whistle rather than a low D. I'm very much in the same boat as you, sometimes I just don't like how high a standard whistle gets, but to get a decent low D, prepare to shell out some cash, otherwise in my experience inexpensive low D's are better as curtain rods than instruments.

Bottom line: I'd highly recommend getting a Bb whistle instead of a low D. It's a nice compromise between the two, much easier to play than a low D, and you can get a great one for around $40. I've played a lot of Bb whistles (they're my favorite- can't you tell?) and the best I've found so far is Jerry Freeman's tweaked Generation. If you're going to get something else, make sure it's narrow bore at least.

Hope this helps.

Also, I have a brief clip of me playing a Jerry Freeman whistle here: http://youtu.be/hRa0NeOn0U0 and here:http://youtu.be/O9a04FPb1VA
Jantodec

Post by Jantodec »

Feadoggie wrote:Every low D on earth is inexpensive compared to a French horn.
I'm sorry, but I just can't let you say that, though I see your point. Here are two links to Amazon, showing prices for a Low D Whistle, and a French Horn: http://amzn.com/B001KZTSMK http://amzn.com/B0070GXDE2
Of course, I would never play either of these instruments...
Steve Bliven wrote:Or check Guido Gonzato's web site here. He has inexpensive whistles that play well — and instructions for making your own which are even less expensive.

Best wishes.

Steve
I did go check him out, and I must say, I may go build my own whistle just for kicks, once I find the time.
Feadoggie wrote:Daniel Bingamon (a long time contributor to these forums and the author of the TWCalc whistle design tool) makes a "Practice Low D"for a very low price.
Is that the same "Practice Low D" that Gerardo1000 attributed to Becker?
p51baby wrote:Hi Jantodec,

What is your price range for low whistles?
I was hoping that when I mentioned that I'm a college student, most of you would understand my price range, and my definition of "inexpensive," but to clarify, yes, I am looking for the impossible; The dirt cheap, yet nice sounding low whistle. I would prefer to only spend up to $50...yes, i know...
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I know for a fact you can get a better whistle for the money if you go for a Bb whistle rather than a low D. I'm very much in the same boat as you, sometimes I just don't like how high a standard whistle gets, but to get a decent low D, prepare to shell out some cash, otherwise in my experience inexpensive low D's are better as curtain rods than instruments.
Don't tell me the truth, It HURTS! Lie to me; tell me that it can be done. And be warned, I am now working on a design for my low whistle curtain rods.
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:Bottom line: I'd highly recommend getting a Bb whistle instead of a low D. It's a nice compromise between the two, much easier to play than a low D...
I understand you're going for the Bb, and I went ahead and watched your first video to hear it, and it's nice, but still high. My D whistle's lowest note is D5, an octave and a step above middle C (C4) I'm guessing that you're Bb would be a Bb5, just because it looked like a soprano whistle, although I did no research on it. I want a low whistle because I want something to bring me back to my mellow horn days, allowing me to (hopefully) play around the third octave, and if not then at least the fourth. Also, you don't want my rant on BbM; It's not my favorite.
---
Whistle Well
cboody

Post by cboody »

As a musician I would rather doubt that a Hawk french horn is really an instrument. :) And, even if you consider it an instrument it appears to be a single horn which except as a beginner's instrument is pretty well gone. Compare a cheap whistle and a cheap French Horn or an expensive whistle and an expensive French Horn. I know that what was said went beyond that, but excuse it as hyperbole and let it go. If it isn't totally true it is darn close.
Jantodec

Post by Jantodec »

cboody wrote:As a musician I would rather doubt that a Hawk french horn is really an instrument. :) And, even if you consider it an instrument it appears to be a single horn which except as a beginner's instrument is pretty well gone. Compare a cheap whistle and a cheap French Horn or an expensive whistle and an expensive French Horn. I know that what was said went beyond that, but excuse it as hyperbole and let it go. If it isn't totally true it is darn close.
It isn't an instrument, it's an embarrassment :oops: . I only made that outrageous comparison because I took the remark as a challenge, not because I seriously consider the whistle a more expensive instrument. As I mentioned in my op, if I could afford a horn, I might never have started whistling. I tried to track down the horn model I used in high school-a double of course-and it looks like it would have been upwards of $3,400. I wonder why Yamaha doesn't make whistles?
EDIT: I forgot to mention that yes, that was the most expensive whistle I could find, along with the cheapest "Horn"
---
Whistle Well
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jantodec wrote:I forgot to mention that yes, that was the most expensive whistle I could find, along with the cheapest "Horn"
Right. Thank you for supporting the point I was making. We are on the same page. The Kerry Pro low D is a fairly rare and top of the line hand made whistle. The Hawk horn is very likely a bottom of the barrel factory produced wall hanger. And that is the point. The most expensive whistle will similarly priced to the worst French horn. You would like the Kerry whistle (about as good as whistles get). You wouldn't like the Hawk horn. :)

No, Daniel Bingamon's Jubilee Practice Whistle is not the same as Becker's practice whistle. Daniel has been at it somewhat longer. Daniel is the author of one of the most widely known and used whistle design tools - TWCalc. Both Becker and Jubilee whistles are made from plumbing pipe with minimum of finish niceties to keep them economical. That's not the defining factor of either product. The difference is in the playing characteristics. You might like either one. You might not like either one. Both makers are stand up guys.
Jantodec wrote:I was hoping that when I mentioned that I'm a college student, most of you would understand my price range,
Sorry, as a parent that has put three children through undergraduate and graduate degree programs that does nothing for me. When I was a student, if I wanted a new instrument I booked a gig or two to pay for it. Motivation doesn't cost much. Sorry if I sound old and cranky. (I am)

You get what you pay for in a low D whistle - largely. There are sub $50 low D whistles as we have indicated. Most will be as Madman indicates - curtain rods. Youse pays yer money and youse takes yer chances, as they say. Best to go with a well known and universally well reviewed solution

The tunable, tapered bore Dixon is polymer low D the most sensible place to start if you can't afford a more expensive whistle. It represents the best combination of price and playability that I can think of. It's a pretty sure bet that you would like the Dixon. Lots of players start out on his low D. You could find a used Dixon too - players do upgrade from them on occaision.

And making your own whistle is a very viable way to go. I started making my own instruments when I was a student. Check out Daniel Bingamon's TWCalc if you do. There are lots of makers here on C&F that will provide help and guidance along the way if you choose to take that path.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Jantodec wrote:I want a low whistle because I want something to bring me back to my mellow horn days, allowing me to (hopefully) play around the third octave, and if not then at least the fourth. Also, you don't want my rant on BbM; It's not my favorite.
The Generation Bb whistle is Bb4, not much lower than D5. The low D whistle is D4. If you want to get below C4, Daniel Bingamon is one of the few makers in that territory.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Personally I would consider the Generation Bb to be a low whistle.
F is pretty popular as a alternative choice to a D low whistle. The brand would depend on what you want to spend.
juliebeth

Post by juliebeth »

i, for one, want to hear the rant against BbM! please rant! :)
juliebeth

Post by juliebeth »

also, there's always this PVC whistle: http://celticwhistles.com/fearr-low-whistle/ and they are on special on ebay for $30 for presidents day weekend!

disclaimer: yes, i bought one of their seconds (paint smudge) and as i am inexperienced and have only gotten a good sound out of the top four notes and the upper register notes, i can't really review it well. THAT SAID, it is smooth and purty sounding. i sure like it and can't wait to get a bit better at the breath thing so i can really play it (and then of course, i'll despise it and have to get a nicer one).