whistle utility

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
french
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

whistle utility

Post by french »

yesterday i used a whistle as a backscratcher. it was great.

i've found no real differences between inexpensive and expensive whistles. for my back, whistles in "a" provide the best coverage.

what other things do people do with whistles (other than whistle)?

- tom
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I thought I was the only one in the universe who uses a whistle as a backscratcher! Now I can come out of the closet. My preference is a black Acorn D. It has the right length for me and the paint coating makes it feel less cold on the skin. Of course, in an emergency, I'll use any whistle. Fortunately, now that warmer, more humid weather has arrived, I have little need for a backscratcher.
DaveAuty
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

I did use a Generation D as a peashooter when my kids were throwing bits of corn at me. I just whipped off the mouthpiece and became king of the cob!... I was able to get them at a distance of 10-15 feet.

Dave.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Paperweights. :D
serpent

Village Smithy, Serpent Low-D WMD

Post by serpent »

Everyone knows that the Serpent Village Smithy is ideal for fending off small groups of attackers, prying open stick car doors, and holding up your car when your jack is broken, and that the (as yet not formally announced) serpent Low-D WMD (Whistle of Mass Destruction) is good for entire platoons of orcs and knigggggets!, yet nobody seems to have noticed the unassuming little Serpent High G.

The Serpent High G Tunable brass, is just the thing for attracting bats, driving small packs of feral dogs off, and shattering all your annoying neighbor's crystal, even through the Weetabix walls of your apartments! Just stand against the wall opposite his/her crystal and china closet, and blow a 3rd octave F#. When the cabinet is opened, all that will be found are shelves awash in shards of china and powdered glass!

What was that, Selkie? Speak up, lass! I can't hear you!

:D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Whistle of Mass Destruction?

If this keeps up, I have to start building my Saturday Night Special Whistles again to sooth the mass havoc on our streets.

Where are the Fipple inspectors when you need them.
My shop located in the <a href="http://jubileeinstruments.messianic-web ... pg">Peters Cartridge Factory</a> building built in the hillside is the closest to being a undergound bunker.
Dale Force One is invited to land here if he decides to visit <a href="http://www.pki.com">Paramount Kings Island Amusement Park</a>.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Lets see...at session I wave the Burke Al low D to get the server's eye.

The birds were suitably stunned by the color of the Overton anodized that when I pointed it at them they stopped screaming.

Thumb ring against the Burke WBB makes a good percussion when I don't know a tune.

Rather than get a stool, I used a Dixon F to knock a box off a high shelf
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
McHaffie

Low D projectile missle

Post by McHaffie »

There's always the tunable missile.... Always keep the full set with me and the Low and High D assembled at all times... (everyone just THINKS it's because you play 'em the most) .. things get outta hand... just slide the headpiece off the low D and slide it down on the 'loose' end, step up to the plate and swing it!!! launch that baby off the whistle body at a good 50-70 mph and drop a full grown basmati at a distance! :lol:

Or just leave it assembled, and bonk the dissorderly individual during a breath interval and resume playing. :D

Oh yeah, if the cat is getting way too obnoxious, 3rd octave high D gets rid of him pretty quick, although provides temporary hearing loss and an annoying ring in the ears. Probably has something to do with slight disorientation at times too... go figure. :D

Whistles... The ultimate musical multi-tool. Works great for blowing soap bubbles too!
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
BillBo

Post by BillBo »

Twirling
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Maybe put a fipple on a Model Rocket, just imagine the sound if would make. Surely a Missle Whistle.

If you really want tectonic disruption, play my basswhistle in LOW-LOW-C. Instead of breaking china, lets settle for bridges breaking up, buildings falling over, earth shaking everywhere.
:o
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

cranberry! don't misbehave! :eek:

I've used one to flip a light switch barely out of reach so I wouldn't have to get up before, but that's just laziness on my part...
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Not exactly whistle utility, but I have the tube of half of a Tulipwood whistle ( head section self-destructed in the lathe) that I will be making into a mezzuzah for a customer who already has one of my Tulipwood whistles.
A mezzuzah is a Jewish item which you may have seen on doorposts of Jewish homes. They are sometimes quite ornate. Inside is a parchment scroll containing several biblical passages-- this serves as a continuing reminder of God as you come and go from your home.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Swords into ploughshares, and whistles into mezzuzoth...the implications are rich. But in that vein, would it not be better to admit doing so with r*c*rd*rs? :wink:

Best,
N
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I have a Doolin that makes a good door stop.

I understand Monica Lewinsky used a whistle once but I can't remember how the story went. :grin: