O/T: Best looking set of pipes you've ever seen

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Richard Katz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: O/T: Best looking set of pipes you've ever seen

Post by Richard Katz »

I know this is a bit off topic, but since Rory mentioned the interview, the earlier one has been removed.

A newer version, which was edited to remove some errors is up at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IW1yLHY6E0
It is still probably not final, so this is a preview.

It will air locally here in March.

Cheers! Richard
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Heres a nice set. I'm in the more is more camp.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Brennen Fitzgerald

Post by Brennen Fitzgerald »

The bellows for that set must be big enough to drive the steel mill down the street from me.
There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old, bold pilots.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I think that *is* the steel mill down the street from you. :wink:

Michael Cooney's C# Coyne set is right up there for me. It's so elegant. And I love a lot of the new stuff -- especially K&Q, Froment, Wooff, Hubbert and Makoto Nakatsui.

I also should add that Mr. Fitzgerald's new chanter from Tim & Stephanie Benson is topnotch in the looks department, too. Not a full set, but the chanter knocked my socks clean off and into the washer!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

With all that metal you would have thought the missing keys on the chanter would have been added :D
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

rorybbellows wrote:Heres a nice set. I'm in the more is more camp.

RORY
...what is the function of the plate (attached to the body of the regulator?) at extreme bottom?
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

tommykleen wrote: ...what is the function of the plate (attached to the body of the regulator?) at extreme bottom?
It looks like 3 of the 4 keys on that reg open holes on the side of the reg, not on the top. I suspect that the plate you see (there's another on the other side of the reg) is connected to the 1st and 2nd keys and lifts to open tone holes on the side when the keys are pressed.
PJ
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I was thinking it might be for a brace or stand bracket; that is a lapfull of pipes! :wink:

OK, OK, jokes about small mines in Africa aside, that is a beautiful and most impressive stand (rack?) of regulators! Sort of like the Budweiser Clydesdales. And I bet it sounds mighty, too.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

more can be more... hard to beat this set, from the sheer number of reeds if nothing else

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

pancelticpiper wrote:more can be more... hard to beat this set, from the sheer number of reeds if nothing else

It's certainly a marvel of engineering. But I'd say it's more "impressive" than "beautiful". still, I'd love to hear it live.

There are a few clips on youtube of Joe Shannon playing this set with Johnny McGreevy in 1986, but it looks like the double bass reg was removed.
PJ
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There are a few clips on youtube of Joe Shannon playing this set with Johnny McGreevy in 1986, but it looks like the double bass reg was removed.
I saw the set during the mid and late eighties when Joe Shannon was over for the Willie week. It's incredibly heavy so it's not a wild idea to discard any bit you're using. I have some photos and recordings from that time. To be honest I didn't particularly like the sound of it at the time. Joe did show me how to play double cut rolls at the time.

A man I know always says about Taylors 'they're incredibly well made but they are UGLY'

Weight is also an issue in the big Froments I think.
My brain hurts

Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

I have a recording of those 2 playing and Joe's pipes sound the same on YT as they do on the recording. I think it's pretty safe to say that (the YT clip) is an accurate representation of the chanter's sound.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
PJ

Post by PJ »

On a second glance, the mainstock in the YT clips is much darker than the mainstock in the above photo. Am I seeing this right?
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Cathy Wilde wrote: that is a beautiful and most impressive stand (rack?) of regulators. And I bet it sounds mighty, too.
Its for that reason and others, that all Uilleann pipe experts, or at least any who's opinion is worth listening to, agree without doubt or reservation that Alain Froment was the greatest pipemaker who has ever lived.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Hi Rory,

Is this still your guiding principle on the issue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHZ48AE3TOI

Thanks!