Beware of MK satin finish whistle green (color difference).

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Randalf the Red
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Beware of MK satin finish whistle green (color difference).

Post by Randalf the Red »

mutepointe wrote:There will be some times when a circus green whistle will not be appropriate but a whislte this color will always be in good taste.
Not if you're playing at the circus. A circus green whistle will always be appropriate at the circus. :wink:

But seriously, I kind of like the idea of a green that almost looks black, but I can understand AB's disappointment. Sometimes photos are funny like that. I saw a pic of a satin green mk a while back that someone was selling and it almost looked teal- like a bluish/green.

Btw, Misha told me a while back that he's adding an aluminum finish option this year and he's taking pre-orders. Anybody on that list?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I'd love to see MK finally make a soprano D, regardless of color.
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

I love the real green finish color!!! I can't imagine why you wouldn't like it, that's very close to my absolute favorite shade of green! But then to each his own. :cry: (btw, my fav shade of green has a little less blue in it :) )
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Randalf the Red wrote:
Btw, Misha told me a while back that he's adding an aluminum finish option this year and he's taking pre-orders. Anybody on that list?
I had no idea, or I'd have waited!!! I never got any email about this!

I'm on the low G list though!

I'll try to dig up later where the thing was mentioned about the G, A, and D keys.
Last edited by Sirchronique on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Sirchonique, you got your quotations a bit messed up. Randalf said what you are crediting to me. I don't even know Misha.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

mutepointe wrote:Sirchonique, you got your quotations a bit messed up. Randalf said what you are crediting to me. I don't even know Misha.
Sorry about that! Somebody did that once to me, too. It's because I quoted his whole message, then cut out the parts that I wasn't quoting. I must have ended up leaving the part where he was quoting you in the message. Indeed, I was aware he said it, and I was responding to him. My mistake!

EDIT: Fixed it
Randalf the Red

Sircronique,

Misha only told me that because I was asking him specifically for that color and also asking for other color options not listed on the website. Then again, he may have changed his mind about offering it in silver (read: non-anodized aluminum). He did say it would cost more than the satin finish ones.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Randalf the Red wrote:... in silver (read: non-anodized aluminum)
or is it anodized but not dyed ?
Randalf the Red

david_h wrote:
Randalf the Red wrote:... in silver (read: non-anodized aluminum)
or is it anodized but not dyed ?
David, here's what Misha wrote me back in December:

"I'm expecting to do some plain aluminium finish instruments early 2013 though they'll be a little more expensive than the satin finish. Because there are so many ali finish instruments out there they could be classed as a little less exotic perhaps, nice as they'll be. You could potentially pre-order one of first ones of them."

I would think he meant non-anodized since he said there were already "so many ali finish instruments out there". Not sure why they would cost more than the anodized satin. Some whistle makers like Nick Metcalf of Ethnic wind whistles do offer a mirror-polished aluminum which is more expensive. Maybe that's what Misha had in mind.
Tor

Post by Tor »

I'm surprised about some of the comments in this thread. The issue isn't if this or that colour is nice or not, it is about an image on the maker's website which doesn't reflect the actual colour of the whistle. If one happens to like the one colour or the other is irrelevant. It's been a while since I looked at the website, but the colour I remember from the pictures isn't even close to the picture the OP posted a few posts back.

-Tor
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Tor wrote:I'm surprised about some of the comments in this thread. The issue isn't if this or that colour is nice or not, it is about an image on the maker's website which doesn't reflect the actual colour of the whistle.
Maybe so. But then it is, IMO, as much a question of tech awareness. That is, online buyers should be aware that color representations on the screen are notoriously inaccurate. Unless, I suppose, both the image and the user's monitor have been subjected to Pantone calibration, or whatever is used in applications when color fidelity is critical.

Even so, I've seen photo artifacts that can fool the eye. For example, brass instruments that appear to be silver or some other color. Straight instruments that appear curved.

Of course, it's perfectly reasonable to have a color preference, and to be disappointed if your preference isn't met. And maybe Misha (and every website vendor, really) could or should put up a color disclaimer.

But I'm not sure of the bottom line here. It's not as if there's a choice of greens. If you want an MK for its sound and playing characteristics, and you want green, you get what green is available. Googling "green MK whistle" will give you a pretty good idea of the actual hue over multiple images. The OP can simply return the whistle if the color is unacceptable and unliveable. Or resell it in a heartbeat, given the hot demand for MKs. And/or discuss and clarify color issues with Misha before ordering another, if it's really that important.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tor

Post by Tor »

As we're discussing colours.. here's a fun test which is currently doing the rounds:
http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?pageid=77&lang=en

You sort the colours after hue, then press 'Score Test'. Unfortunately dragging / dropping of colour tiles don't work on my Android tablet so I had to use the desktop computer. Worked fine there though. I did it twice, scored 11 on the first try and 4 on the second try after turning up brightness and contrast of my monitor (I normally keep those turned fairly low, don't like contrast much).
What I had problems with (it shows as bars when you're finished) was the blue-green area just before it started to turn magenta (or whatever the slightly more reddish colour is named). Another guy nearly my age had the same cluster of bars but interestinly located quite a bit more to the left in the blue-green region.

-Tor
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tor wrote:As we're discussing colours.. here's a fun test which is currently doing the rounds:
http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?pageid=77&lang=en
Wooo! Perfect, suckers!
That was really fascinating, surprisingly. I second-guessed myself quite a bit.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Like many guys, my color world is mostly Roy G. Biv. Or maybe the resistor color codes if you add in black, white, grey and brown. Yes, I am a living stereotype. And if I can't describe a difference between happy clown puke green and gloomy Ent forest green, then it doesn't really exist. There ... problem solved! :lol:

I have a friend who claims he sees different shades of color with each eye. Which obviously means that he can misjudge two colors at the same time. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tor

Post by Tor »

MTGuru wrote:I have a friend who claims he sees different shades of color with each eye. Which obviously means that he can misjudge two colors at the same time. :)
I read a post on another forum today from a guy claiming the same.. in his case he believed the cause was an incident in his youth, involving his teenage self, a telescope, the sun, and a misjudged trust in an infrared filter.

-Tor