Full Metal Jacket! (for flute)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Full Metal Jacket! (for flute)

Post by jemtheflute »

Have a look at this eBay flute! It appears to be a quite ordinary "nach Meyer" type German flute - in a fancy metal jacket..... Body armour? Can't really call it a "straight-jacket" as it is designed to allow all appendages free movement. Presumably it is a crack-preventer or repairer, or is it just cosmetic? Whatever, it hasn't prevented the long C key getting snapped nor the head and barrel from having the usual cracks. In fact, if you were going to have such a gadget, surely head and barrel would be the first places to add it. Body sections are far less prone to cracks, though the sockets (especially of the lower body/foot long section of a nach Meyer are pretty crack-prone). Perhaps it was for marching band sparkle - nicely polished up?

Anyway, the maker must have seen a need and expected to sell quite a few given the patent application and obviously non-unique production - it isn't a one-off hand-made rough job! I wonder if there'd be any info via the US Patents records?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Steve Bliven

Re: Full Metal Jacket! (for flute)

Post by Steve Bliven »

I love the Turks head knot holding the "ox bone" segment together.... Haven't seen that before.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
woodfluter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by woodfluter »

Yeah, the 3 lead, 5 bight turk's head on the bone had to be a repair - pretty spiffy. It also looks to have a head crack through the embouchure hole, although the seller didn't mention that. But some things about this are truly bizarre and mystifying.

Note that the upper body jacket is held together on the underside by three tightening bolts, and the lower body jacket by five of those. There are gaps on the underside to allow tightening or adjustment. Also a rather generous opening around each tone hole. That points toward something that could be added to various flutes, perhaps. But unless I'm mistaken, the post mounts for keys have to be either attached to the "jacket" or drilled through that and into the wood. So that points toward something made and fitted exactly to one flute design - or even one flute.

Like Jem said, this isn't where you'd need protection, as evidenced by where it cracked (the usual places). Seeing this sort of thing could keep me up at night. It looks like steampunk gear - this might be played in a band at Dragon Con.

Now that I think about it, the Fischer name seems familiar...this is W. Fischer, but wasn't there a New York based Carl Fischer company that made or imported many wooden flutes of German style?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

It's so ugly it is rather charming...much like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

I think it would be fun to take to session!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Can an embouchure crack like that be repaired with a reasonable expectation of remaining closed?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Steve Bliven wrote:Can an embouchure crack like that be repaired with a reasonable expectation of remaining closed?

Best wishes.

Steve
Yes. Absolutely. And no need for pinning/stitching usually if done correctly. Have a look at some of my old Facebook photo albums of flute repairs.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I must be the only person that likes pinning...

I'd say it's more of a flute girdle with how it is latched up in the back.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I think it is more of a corset than a girdle. Flute's should have corsets whereas girdles should be reserved for tubas...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, it makes me think of whips, saltires, and zipper masks.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, it makes me think of whips, saltires, and zipper masks.
TMI :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Sorta gimpy?
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

MTGuru wrote:
Being an innocent, I have no idea what Nano is talking about...all I know is I would not trust him with this poor innocent flute.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jayhawk wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
Being an innocent, I have no idea what Nano is talking about...all I know is I would not trust him with this poor innocent flute.
Smart man.

I suppose if you want another, less starkly dramatic option, it does fit rather solidly within the Steampunk aesthetic genre.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Saltires? Just remember some of us are actually quite proud of those and not afraid to admit it! :o
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Saltires? Just remember some of us are actually quite proud of those and not afraid to admit it! :o
I always suspected you Scots were a sporting bunch. :wink: