I HATE ENYA!!!! ... and what brought this about

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Ahlwez efter me locky chaaggghhk..ghk...ghk" *thud*
:lol:
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binary_sunset

Gaelic singing

Post by binary_sunset »

Well, just for my 2 cents... Enya may not be spun full of jigs and reels consisting of a bodhran/fiddle/flute/bouzouki instrumentation, but lets not forget that there is a big part of Irish music (that is unmistakeably "traditional", that is, indigenous to the British Isles of Celtic times) that is music primarily for solo voice in the form of sung Gaelic poetry. It is what we interpret when we play "slow airs" on the flute or whistle, as the majority of these tunes have words that are seldom, seldom sung anymore.

I wasn't around a couple thousand years ago when the Celts were nearing the end of their "traditional" civilization, but I would imagine you would find quite a few ladies like Enya spinning long Gaelic poems in slow verse with their voices. As for her use of reverb, I can't comment... singing in a cave???

|binary_sunset|
elendil

Post by elendil »

who's this enya??

the other day at work, just this past week, i was playin' one of the early capercaille discs--crosswinds, i think--and one of the kids (that means someone probably under 30, or even 35) came over and said: that sounds like enya. i could only respond with a blank look.

celtic elevator music?
elendil
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

well... what can I say. While Enya is certainly not anything to get too excited about, a bit on the new-agey celtic sampler side of things... It does have its place. I have fond memories of that place... it involves the backseat/cargo area of a Blue GEO Metro parked along the road, and "The Celts" in the CD player. Better than average "Soundtrack" music.
(of course.. Angus Youngs naughty school boy peoms set to high voltage guitar also works quite well for this sort of soundtrack)
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Enya is the little sister of the (mostly) family
of traditional Irish music recording artists,
Clannad, who was too young to participate
when the rest of the family was getting popular.
Enya may play traditional Harp, but both her
and the family group strayed from tradition.

So, being somewhat of a "black sheep" she
found her own style and became more popular
than her family, though they quickly followed.

Look her up on your favorite Irish CD music store
or on the internet...read all about her. I'll admit
I've like some of her stuff, but never listen to her
anymore, and haven't for about 12 years. I did like
her soundtrack to Far and Away though.
McHaffie

Umm, yeah.

Post by McHaffie »

I dunno, I think Eny is nifty in a Celestial-ish, maybe Specular-ish New Ageyish kinda way. I think it's almost an "in her own category" kind of thing... sort of like Peter Gabriel... can't really place it entirely... (No offense Peter... there's not even a comparison there... trust me. Pete rules on his own plane! :D ) and yes... wayyyyyyyy to much reverb in many many 'songs'.

So, I like Enya ok, but as far as the hype.... nah, I donthinkso. And wow... talk about the snub of all snubs and to be snubbed by Enya. ... I feel for ya.

Ever since I started up the local hoolie, I can understand all the hard work you had to have put into that.. no matter what, that was quite the snub.

Give the man a dram. :D

Take care, and put the music ta good use of course! show 'em up!
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Though I empathize with John's Enya Mishap, I must defend the Queen of Celtic New Age. I'm no longer a fan of Enya. After Shepherd Moons I lost interest. But because of songs like Orinoco Flow getting radio play I was given a key to one of the greatest things in my life: Celtic (for lack of a better name) music.
Now some folks, like the lass in John's saga, hear something like Enya and that's good enough for them and never bother to dig deeper. Though I was thoroughly enchanted with Enya it's just my nature to get to the bottom of things which prompted me to explore more traditional music.
In just over a year from beginning to listen to Enya I made it to a Capercaillie concert. Two years after that I took up Highland pipes, meanwhile devouring as much Irish, Scottish, and Breton traditional music as I could and developing a very shrewd taste for what I liked and didn't like.
Now it's thirteen years later and I've played in the World Pipe Band Championships in Scotland twice, I've competed with a Breton bagad, and less than a year ago was daft enough to try Irish flute and I liked it.
Now I don't hold Enya thoroughly responsible for this great turn of events in my life. There are too many factors to consider. But her music did leave a watermark. :really: I know that whole watermark comment was pretty cheesy but it's the best word I could find.
Cheers,
Aaron
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Lorenzo wrote:Enya is the little sister of the (mostly) family
of traditional Irish music recording artists,
Clannad, who was too young to participate
when the rest of the family was getting popular.
Enya may play traditional Harp, but both her
and the family group strayed from tradition.....
Long time ago I liked Clannad a lot , and I remember watching a documentary about the family, which mentioned that Enya had in fact been part of the band, albeit for a short while, before setting out on her own.

I never thought of liking Clannad as liking Celtic or Irish music or traditional music, etc -- I just liked them as an individual band, for their music, musicianship and fusion of various styles. It didn't direct my tastes or interests towards Irish trad or Celtic/New Age in general. To me, it was just interesting rock/pop with ethereal touches and folky influences.

However, because I liked Clannad, I gave little sister Enya's music a listen. I thought the soundtrack to "The Celts" was good, Watermark was passable, and then the albums after that were just (Enya fans, forgive me) wishy washy brainless music.

The one song that really irked me was that one where every single line ended with a word that rhymed with "motion". Ugh.

I'm sure it's just a matter of personal tastes, but something about this kind of music irritates me.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi John,

Would it have been less upsetting if the young lady had chosen the Coors, U2, Lunasa or The Dubliners instead of Enya?

I can understand you're annoyed that your efforts were wasted (and I'd be too, probably more so, completely with you there) as it was very rude and thoughtless of the father and daughter in question, but why take it out on poor Enya?

She clearly has a lot of personal issues to deal with, living with a voice with permanent reverb, is it fair that she should be on the Allison hate list too?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

ImageBejaysus, but I loves dat Enya stuff!!! It's real Irish music y'know! Pass da sugar wouldjeh!

Ahhh....they're always after me lucky charms....

:D Sorry Sam...couldn't resist....result of a boring morning at work.

Cheers,
David
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

*smacks feadan*
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

TelegramSam wrote:*smacks feadan*
Ouch!!!
Okay...I deserved it....
You know what they say..."idle hands" and all that.
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Cranberry wrote:Lucky Charms are EVIL.
But...hey they're part of a balanced breakfast! They always say so about breakfast candy...er...I mean cereal on TV! Of course what they don't say is that it would be more balanced without the frosted sugar bombs that Lucky Charms (and too many other cereals) are.

-David
Last edited by Feadan on Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.