Alert: PayPal account hacked 11/27/2012

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
ancientfifer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Alert: PayPal account hacked 11/27/2012

Post by ancientfifer »

Hello Chiffers!
I just wanted to alert any of you with PayPal accounts to check your accounts and change your passwords. I awoke this morning to find that my account was hacked for $299.00 US last night. I have filed a claim and have acknowledgement from PayPal that they are investigating. It looks like the "seller's" account may have been hijacked as well to facilitate the fraudulent sales transaction, so I don't want to libel anyone unintentionally by including their name, or e-mail address.

I am curious if anyone else may have also had this experience in the last few days, or if this is an isolated event.

Best wishes!
Russ
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
ytliek

Re: Alert: PayPal account hacked 11/27/2012

Post by ytliek »

Hello,
I'm always leary of internet money transactions of any kind, period. I didn't have an incident in the past few days, however, I did have an incident with PayPal awhile back. I was new to whistling and new to PayPal (opened around same time) and merely opened in order to purchase some whistles. On a celtic website and upon ordering various items (not whistles) the company stated they would get back to me. Being new to PayPal I waited longer than the 45 days for transaction. The celtic company never got back to me and blocked my emails. I tried to file PayPal claim and they told me to kiss off as the 45 transaction period is up; there's nothing they can do. The money was lost.

I won't post the company's name, but, if you want it send PM. Scammers and hackers everywhere.

A big picture look at credit card fraud, thanks to Denny posting daily TED :thumbsup: . In particular look at 3:30sec. Just two guys!
http://www.ted.com/talks/james_stavridi ... urity.html
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

Update: Paypal "ruled in my favor" within 4 hours of my filing the complaint. The funds will be returned in 2-3 days. So that worked out well. But I did see that yesterday they had sent me a warning message that there was suspcious activity in my account, then locked my account, but still allowed the transaction :-? Its on an e-mail account I check sporadically so I hadn't seen the message until after seeing the charge show up on my card account. Nonetheless, a happy ending. I hope no one else experiences this.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Good to hear your issue was resolved favorably. Thanks for posting it. :thumbsup: