Bb flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Bb flute

Post by Ronnie »

Hi Nicolas,
I hope you are well. I checked the site with the Grinter for sale and I saw that it is still for sale. In my opinion this is a near new flute. It was my Grinter Bb that Gabriel (steffen) played this weekend. Its a fine flute and its fully keyed like a flute should be. I understand that folks are content without keys but my expérience as a humble player is that once you have themn you start to use them; period. In your place I would try to contact the seller of the Grinter and make him a proposition. The guy says on his announcement that he needs the money so maybe you can work something out and be sure you have a nice flute. See you soon !
Ronnie
Bran Ruz
antispam: No

Post by Bran Ruz »

Hi Ronnie, thanks, but the Grinter is really too expensive, I don't and won't have the money. :wink: I finally went to Gil Lehart's workshop and tried his five keyed B flat. The sound and tuning are really good, embouchure is quite easy and I can manage the stretch so I ordered a six keys. He will make the two long keys a bit longer as he usually do and I will get it in two or three weeks. :)
Maybe we'll have a B flat session next year at the flute meeting. :wink:
Thank you everybody for your advices... and the off topic discussion ! :D
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Sorry for reviving the thread with a slightly tangential question, but my search for 'bore ovalling' produced precisely five results, the thread's not that old and...
Loren wrote:If I could first get that top tenon more concentric, perhaps by changing the flute's moisture content
I'm wondering what chance this has of working? Because I've just recently become aware that the middle joint of my 30-year-old Paetzold blackwood recorder appears to have ovalled beyond 'comfort' (still rotates in the head socket, but not smoothly), and am thinking there's nothing to be lost from trying?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Peter Duggan wrote:Sorry for reviving the thread with a slightly tangential question, but my search for 'bore ovalling' produced precisely five results, the thread's not that old and...
Loren wrote:If I could first get that top tenon more concentric, perhaps by changing the flute's moisture content
I'm wondering what chance this has of working? Because I've just recently become aware that the middle joint of my 30-year-old Paetzold blackwood recorder appears to have ovalled beyond 'comfort' (still rotates in the head socket, but not smoothly), and am thinking there's nothing to be lost from trying?
Worth trying, but honestly, unless you are playing the instrument nearly daily, or you keep it rigorously humidified, it's most likely going to return to the oval state. We ended up turning the tenons on concentric on most recorders that came into Von Huene for repairs. Most of the instruments that needed this fix were from other makers who didn't season wood as well before and during production.

Good luck Peter, and let us know the results.

Loren
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Loren wrote:unless you are playing the instrument nearly daily
Which I'm not, with my days of full-time recorder playing now some 25 years behind me! But trying some rehumidification (popped it in a plastic box with a wet sponge in a bowl) because this one's still a good player, could just sort itself but can probably also stand getting the joints turned true sometime if absolutely necessary.

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Loren wrote:Good luck Peter, and let us know the results.
Well, the Paetzold blackwood's been rehydrating in there for five days now, feels round again when I put the joints together, and the Yamaha boxwood with loose joints that joined it a day later now also feels reasonably firm. Going to take them out now (or at least open the lid) because the blackwood's needing wiping dry when opened, but also sorting some more appropriate regular storage now it's obvious that even my typically driech West of Scotland conditions need monitoring for optimum care!

Master of nine?
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Also expensive but you don't see many of these, ooooo...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chris-Wilkes- ... 1023891855
Mark
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Loren wrote:Good luck Peter, and let us know the results.
Well, the Paetzold blackwood's been rehydrating in there for five days now, feels round again when I put the joints together, and the Yamaha boxwood with loose joints that joined it a day later now also feels reasonably firm. Going to take them out now (or at least open the lid) because the blackwood's needing wiping dry when opened, but also sorting some more appropriate regular storage now it's obvious that even my typically driech West of Scotland conditions need monitoring for optimum care!
Glad to hear things improved!

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

MarkP wrote:Also expensive but you don't see many of these, ooooo...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chris-Wilkes- ... 1023891855
Nice axe.