Fred Rose Solid Blackwood Whistle Maintenance

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
argofoto
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Fred Rose Solid Blackwood Whistle Maintenance

Post by argofoto »

Hi! This is my first post though not my first time perusing.

I recently purchased a used Fred Rose High D whistle made of solid blackwood (no metal parts), which Mr. Rose made only about a dozen of more than a decade ago. She sounds wonderful and will probably sound even better after I keep playing her for a bit (not so much at first).

Otherwise, I have a brass Feadog (D) and a tin Oak (C) whistle, and really haven't taken much thought to maintaining.

However, I just purchased today a perfect fitting cleaning rod from Sam Ash, but couldn't find any almond oil (none at Whole Foods grocery either...) nor cork oil (without buying a whole flute kit). I hear the petroleum based stuff isn't good either, but a regular fragrance free chap stick should work...

So, my question is, can I just use a regular chap stick, and almond oil when I find it? I don't even think I can post pictures of the whistle as I am a newwwwwbie but she's a beaut! It's becoming colder and colder here so I am a bit worried about the dry air... and I play outside too sometimes in the parks (not a crazy person).
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Re: Fred Rose Solid Blackwood Whistle Maintenance

Post by Cayden »

Argofoto,
I am sending you a PM on this matter.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Argofoto,
I would try and find some cork grease at a music store that sells woodwind instruments and use that on the cork wrap on the tuning slide. Chap Stick will also work in a pinch. You might want to store the whistle broken down so as not to compress the cork from constant pressure. That could result in air leakage problems. This information is in addition to that which I sent you via private message. Also, do a search for Bore Doctor products and you should be able to find the care products you need for your wooden whistle(s). :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Caydem
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
argofoto

Post by argofoto »

Thanks!

I just replied to your pm asking about the cork grease, but your second post answers that. I hear bad things about "petroleum based" cork greases though so will try to find one that isn't.

Best
John
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Hi Argofoto

If you are unable to get Almond oil you might be able to get Grape Seed oil in you local health food store/superstore or at a pince on-line. This oil is almost tasteless and very very light in texture.

Ian.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I would highly caution against using any sort of 'food' oil like almond or grapeseed to care for your whistle. I was over at Casey Burn's workshop the other day, and he demonstrated why he prefers ordinary woodwind bore oil from the music store. He had several flasks of very high-grade food oils including almond oil that he was testing as flute oil, and they all went rancid. Apparently these oils can and will go bad inside your flute or whistle.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

argofoto wrote:I hear bad things about "petroleum based" cork greases
But not everything one hears is correct ... :wink:

Don't overthink. As Cayden said, pick up a tube of delicious minty cork grease at your local music store for a buck or two, smear some on, wipe the excess, and you're done. Reapply as needed. I and others have been using the stuff for 50+ years on everything from $2 whistles to clarinets and saxophones worth many thousands. Works fine.

If you choose a food oil as bore oil, make sure it comes fortified with Vitamin E as an antioxidant, or add a few capsules before use. I've also used standard petroleum bore oil, but I really don't like the smell. Reminds me too much of early mornings in 4th grade band class.

What does Mr. Rose recommend?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:He had several flasks of very high-grade food oils including almond oil that he was testing as flute oil, and they all went rancid. Apparently these oils can and will go bad inside your flute or whistle.
Perhaps, but my unfinished 50ml bottle of 'arachide-olie' (peanut oil?) bought in a Dutch music shop 25 years ago still seems fine!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
argofoto

Post by argofoto »

Good idea, I will email Fred and see what he says and let you know.

Speaking of Rosie, she seems to sound better, i.e. fuller in a way, or maybe my ears deceive me as I am slowly adjusting to the different air requirements and getting the notes right... Its' definitely a difference when I switch between the brass Feadog D to the Oak C then the Rose. Hopefully soon I'll feel confidant to go to the local seisun.

Thanks for all the tips!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

argofoto wrote:It's becoming colder and colder here so I am a bit worried about the dry air... and I play outside too sometimes in the parks (not a crazy person).
A few words of advice: Don't play wooden whistles in the cold, unless you happen to like cracked instruments.

Loren
bradley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bradley »

I'd just like to add that adding vit E to food grade oils will only work as a temporary measure to prevent oxidation. Sooner or later, it will go rancid.
argofoto

Post by argofoto »

I played in the cold but the sun was out...... the whistle played fine, but i play first my brass whistle when i step out of the car to let the wood whistle change temperature more slowly and such.

How cold is too cold? It is like in the 40s, 50s F here.
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Cayden pointed out Bore Doctor, which is an excellent product. It has high-grade antioxidants and will not go rancid. Expensive, but a little bottle will last for years. I used 'sweet oil' from WalMart until I got Bore Doctor. It is a refined olive oil that won't go rancid. It is clear and will not harden. Music store bore oil is mineral oil and not very good for the job. Some of it is thinned with petroleum products. I don't know why they sell it, other than that is all the wholesalers sell. Most pro woodwind players don't use it.
LynnB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by LynnB »

Hey it's 2012 friends, why worry about finding it in person?

Amazon carries the Bore Doctor stuff, and plenty of other options:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Doctors-Produ ... B003MNLACO
http://www.amazon.com/The-Doctors-Produ ... B000XZUUKC

I've heard of substituting chapstick for cork grease, but who's done it the other way around? ......or is that just me? I had the Susato tube in my pocket and it smells exactly like my burt bees lip balm. :)
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Loren wrote:A few words of advice: Don't play wooden whistles in the cold, unless you happen to like cracked instruments.
argofoto wrote:How cold is too cold? It is like in the 40s, 50s F here.
Loren is absolutely correct. Wood is an organic material and it will expand when warmed and contract when cooled. Rapid changes in temperature can lead to cracks. Remember that you are blowing air that is the internal temperature of your lungs into the whistle - like 98 degrees. The temperature swing effect on the wood will vary depending upon the piece of wood. Best to "play it safe". I cringe every year when I see folks playing holiday music out in the cold on nice wooden instruments - and let's not talk about the Mummers.

Here's another tip related to the holidays. Say you order a nice blackwood whistle. And good fortune smiles on you and it is delivered via mail from the maker just prior to Christmas Day. But you are not home when it is delivered by the stalwart postal delivery person. It sits in the mailbox in sub-freezing temps for several hours before you can get home and retrieve it. Exercise some patience my friends. Don't unwrap the package and immediately play Kid on the Mountain. Maybe every whistle wouldn't crack under this scenario but I can attest to one that cracked even after waiting at least three hours before opening the box. The sound of the wood cracking was memorable indeed. Let the whistle remain in the packing materials for several hour, maybe even 12 hours or so. Let the whistle warm in the package until it comes up to indoor temperatures.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.