outdated info on C&F

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
meneermalik
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: outdated info on C&F

Post by meneermalik »

Whistle wiki sounds like a splendid idea and I'd definitely be up contributing to it. And fair enough Dale for moving on! From managing my own website myself it is fairly time consuming, more so when you need to double check and verify the existing information. Seems like a simple wiki type set up would be the easiest to organize and easiest to get the community at large to contribute and edit.

Ecohawk, As for Sindt. When I ordered the first time from John back in 2006 or so I was told he was only making C and D whistles. As for your expedited order, I would say that he must have some sort of quota for different keys due to the lesser demand for keys other than C and D there's probably a shorter waiting list. I'm currently waiting for another D from him and I placed my order in April of 2011. He recently told me he should be getting to mine within the month. Everyone I know that's ordered a whistle (in D) in the past few years as waited a good 18 months at least. A simple email to him asking for his wait list would clarify this.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I received a Sindt B around 2005. FWIW.
My brain hurts

rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I started playing whistle in 2006, and have owned many makes and models over the past 6 years and would certainly glad to contribute photos for such an effort if need be. As most folks, I found photos to be interesting and helpful, especially considering the variety of makers, woods, etc., that are out there. My over-the-top enthusiasm has waned as has many, but I agree to keep the ball rolling we should take advantage of this vast wealth of resources and unify the information as much as possible, and minimize the 'use the search function' reply that everyone just loves to see when they ask a question.

Often a poster will link to photos that are later removed from their server, and photos vanish. A dedicated image storage space would be very helpful in keeping such a 'Whistle-pedia and Museum" fully functional, me thinks. Just a thought or two.

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I think the Wiki idea has a lot of merit. That and and an archive space for images would seem just the ticket. I'd love to participate in the creation or maintenance of that if Dale is willing.

maneermalik, I have no disagreement with your statement about the wait time for Sindt whistles, but was only stating my experience for the record. You could be absolutely correct about the priority of certain keys over others. The last D I bought from John (brass/silver) was received in October of 2011. It could also be that I've bought 12 whistles or tubes (I often give them to whistle playing friends as gifts) from John since 2009 so he might be giving me a little preferential treatment too. Who knows?

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I know that when I first started out, I read a lot of the outdated info thinking it was up to date (it IS the internet) and only after a few months did I realize that a lot of the stuff was not recent (It's weird to think of 2005 as being so long ago). It also took me a long time to make it to the forum itself, as in a couple of years. The main thrust of the website seems to be the whistle info, with the forum being a bit of an afterthought.

I'm curious, can "ownership" of the website be transferred to another individual?
Nathaniel James Dowell
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Sure it could be transferred. Also possible ... Chiffandfipple.com could come straight here.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

As a newbie whistler I kinda like the way the Chiff & Fipple entity exists, even with some of the outdated info on the main website, there is a lot of good solid info there. Perhaps a "statement" on main website (up top) saying its more of an "archive" resource and current info is located in the forums (with a immediate link to forums).

I have enjoyed the forums immensely as they are... old/outdated technology wise yet current, personal, informative in fact "educational". Yes there is a lot of drivel in the threads (forums have that), of which I certainly have contributed, but, once you learn how to wade thru the minutia there is usually good information from people who know what they're talking about. People come and go, life changes and whatever.

Yes it would be nice to see a up to date list of whistlemakers and a standardized format for reviews on the forum which is very doable.

If there's financial concerns, perhaps a $ contributary method could be established... then you'd know who the real supporters would be. There really is no free lunch.

In today's cyberworld there's nothing stopping "anyone" from going forth designing, creating, and maintaining their own website and/or forum utilizing the best of technology.
Just saying...

Most importantly... Thank you Dale whatever you decide to do. Cheers! :pint:
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Well, it's more then 11 years now that I started playing the whistle and I felt extremely blessed to stumble over Dale's "Chiff & Fipple" then. What a source of great information and what a bright and witty mind behind it all!

So respecting and supporting the wish for some updated information about whistles and their makers I truly hope, Dale's spirit will still be recognized in all changes to come, and even though the man himself has taken some new roads, to me he always will remain the "Undisputed King Of Internet Whistle Journalism"!

Thanks a lot, Dale!
Claus
Last edited by Claus von Weiss on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Thanks to all for their words. And thanks to all for their critical words. It's all good, so to speak.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Dale wrote:Sure it could be transferred. Also possible ... Chiffandfipple.com could come straight here.
I think the existing homepage is rather charming in its quirkyness, and it would be a pity to loose it. OTOH some of it needs updating. Maybe as little as this:
Create a new green header "the chiff and fipple historic archive" to replace header "the chiff & fipple whistle guides".
Put under it the section "The Chiff and Fipple Newsletter" and "The Chiff and Fipple whistle Guides".
Rename header "communications department" to "the chiff and fipple message boards". As this will appear now as first header underneath the great top image and intro section, it will be more prominent to show newcomers the way to the forums.

If ever a new whistle guide section gets created, with up-to-date info on makers, then a link to it could be added.

I think a wiki may be a good structure for this, better than a phpBB forum. And this wiki could be maintained by the community. But if we had a page per maker, I think details about prices would be impossible to keep up-to-date, and would be better to avoid. Or, if I, as a whistle maker, would maintain my own whistlewiki page, I probably would just have a link to my current price list on my site.

I don't know if anyone wants to take on the creation of a whistle wiki. It could be set up under its own domain, or under chiffandfipple.com (subdomain like wiki.chiffandfipple.com?) if Dale agrees. As part of a community effort, I would also be happy to give some technical input. I have been working for years creating software and sites using the PmWiki system, which is powerful but simple, and does not need a database.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Umm... I just type chiffboard.mati.ca brings me to this place every time.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
German Whistler

Post by German Whistler »

this website is good but not up to date, thats right

what makes it good?
1. the users, their knowledge and activity (and their clicks on the ads ;-)) - so give them a nice place
2. the old stuff has chamre - so keep it

update it, where is the problem?

there is adverstising so there is money, isnt it?

get a pro, built a modern website with a modern design and userfriendly structure
1. install an up to date and working forum (not such a cheap, well free 2007 version of phpbb), which isnt that lame (users stay longer online ;-))
2. moove the old stuff into an archive
3. install a wiki and let the users provide new content and always up to date knowledge/information

thats easy and the best for the website (owner/webmaster) and its users, isnt it?

otherwise,.....you lost your interest? you mooved on? you may want to think about to moove the site on, to someone who cares enough to keep it usable?
i am sure many would like to buy it, i would be the first one making an offer ;-)

whatver please do something because this forum gets so slow its hard not to go away everytime one has to wait untill the site loads after clicking on a link
you shouldt run a forum with so many users, so much content on an old phpbb
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
megapop

Post by megapop »

German Whistler wrote:get a pro, built a modern website with a modern design and userfriendly structure
Uhm... yeah, and while we're at it, why not buy Switzerland and make it a whistle info center? Dale, you do have too much time and money, don't you? Dale???
:-?
Last edited by megapop on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
return null;
German Whistler

Post by German Whistler »

megapop wrote:
German Whistler wrote:get a pro, built a modern website with a modern design and userfriendly structure
Uhm... yeah, and while we're at it, why not buy Switzerland and make it a whistle info center? Dale, you do have too much time and money, don't you? Dale???
what do you think how much a pro coast?
and what do you think those ads bring or can bring when this site dont take anymore a minute for each click to load the site?
a site with so many users can make a lot of money, it would be a good investment, belive me, there are people living very well just by havin some websites

anyway a usable cms (content mabage system), an up to date forum software and a wiki, doesnt cost so much to get built, its more installing than building, the expensive part only comes when you want special designs and features written just for you

i am sure the monthly income of this website, is more than an up to date website done by a pro would cost
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)