Favorite low whistle recordings

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Favorite low whistle recordings

Post by greenspiderweb »

OK, bringing this to the top again, because I just revisited my CD by Talbert St.Claire, Tears of the Forest. It always brings me pleasure when I listen to it, for the simplicity of the low whistles and the music he makes on it. It's not for ITM purists, but rather those who love the low whistle, and this guy goes really low with some of his bass whistles! It definitely has an Eastern world music flavor, though some ITM influence is present too ("East meets West" it says in the liner notes) making it a nice mix for those who like variety packs.

This guy (a Chiff forum member, and not uncontroversial I will add-though his music speaks for itself) had the chops and command of the low whistle when he made this (2004 or thereabouts), and an interesting take on the low whistle boundaries. I admire his musicianship and artistry, in putting together an album such as this one! Talbert seems to put his soul into his playing. I wish I could play like that, but it seems you really have to commit to do that-no holds barred, as it were.

You can check it out here, but I suggest if you like the clips, you'll like the CD better. Read the reviews on CDbaby too to give you an idea. Here it is:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/talbertstclaire

Very nicely done, Talbert! Thank you for the music you have made, and good luck and life to you in the future, whatever that you may desire. I just hope it lets you pursue your music in a similar fashion that you demonstrated in the past.

This is why I keep coming back to the low whistle. It has a potential that seems endless at times, and unique in its voice.

Be well,
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
AngelicBeaver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I like a lot of stuff from Lunasa. "The Story So Far" has most of my favorites, but Autumn Child/Heaton Chapel is my most favoritest song and it's on their "Otherworld" CD. It's played on a bass A whistle(with some nice guitar).

I really like Brian Finnegan's "The Ravishing Genius of Bones", particularly Stars and Nightride. The title of the album also makes me happy.

Good thread.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Elle

Post by Elle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvvwjJ596_4

Especially great when the 3rd one comes in....

On Lunasa's The Story So Far, as mentioned by AB
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I knowTalbert St Claire and his playing IS amazing. As you say, Barry, he puts his whole soul into it and I long to get to the stage hwere I can improvise and just let go like that forgetting technique which by then would be ingrained. It saddens me though to hear him spoken off as controversial. Tal is just a regular guy, nothing unusual about him, except for wonderful playing, but his friendship with Davy Spillane seems to have caused a lot of people problems. Why is that?
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

No, nothing to do with Davy, just some old jousting that was done between forum members here in the past. It's really not important and it was a while ago, so maybe it's better to just focus on the music and appreciate it. No doubt it's touched you as well.

Hope you get to that point also, where the music just flows and being comfortable with mechanices the lows. I know I'm still working on that myself, and enjoying the ride.
~~~~
Barry
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Watching Lunasa playing "The Last Pint" on youtube was actually what got me to buy their album. Low whistling seems to be pretty rare, but they do a lot of it, along with some flute.

Another thing I like about them is that they seem to be more conservative when it comes to instrumentation, and by that I mean they don't just throw in everything they've got on every song. A lot of Irish Traditional music groups use the same three or four instruments in every song, resulting in a sound that can be monotonous. Lunasa sometimes omits things to put emphasis on a particular instrument or part, and it gives a lot of their songs a unique flavor. Of course, that's just a personal opinion from someone who is really picky and odd about music.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Plenty of good stuff mentioned already, so I'll throw out some of the perhaps lesser known Low Whistle recordings/artists:

Brendan Ring's "Troublesome Things" is top notch. A couple of warnings though - Half the recording is low whistle, but the other half is some pretty ornery Pipes playing, lots of regulator usage...... :twisted: 2.) One or more tracks may be tempt you to to toss your low whistles in the bin and simply give it up. This recording would probably be hard to find in print, but it's on spotify.

Anything with Rory Campbell. One of the greats IMO and fantastic to listen to if you want to hear great piping ornamentation on whistle, even more so than McGoldrick, who's the king of Low Whistle IMO. Rory is still extremely melodic though. If you're strictly a trad head you'll probably only dig Rory's Old Blind Dogs stuff - in which case "The World's Room" is a must. For the more open minded, his solo and duo stuff with Malcolm Stitt has TONS of great low whistle playing. "Field Of Bells" and "Nusa" are the ones CD's that come to mind, again both are on spotify. Nusa is probably more easily digestible for the average person.

If you're in the mood for something with a more international flavor, I recommend Hevia's first two or three CD's.

Enjoy,

Loren
maki

Post by maki »

I don't see this mentioned so far, track 8 from Wallop The Spot, by Patrick D'arcy.
He uses a Collin Goldie low D to play "An Raibh Tú Ag An GCarraig", also called "Were You At The Rock?".
Its just flat out gergeous.
You can buy individual tracks, but trust me when I say you will want the whole thing.
Most of the CD is piping, which of course is very good.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/patrickdarcy
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

This is great fun! But you guys are costing me a ton of money. :poke:

Finding lots of great sounds, from folks I hadn't known before.

Keep it coming. :thumbsup:

JD
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Eamonn Dillon, Storm the kettle. Available over at cdbaby. They have sound samples as well.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

No one has mentioned Finbar Furey. Very much part of the development of the low D. His cd Chasing Moonbeams is mostly love songs but there is some great whistle solos also.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

AngelicBeaver wrote:I like a lot of stuff from Lunasa. "The Story So Far" has most of my favorites, but Autumn Child/Heaton Chapel is my most favoritest song and it's on their "Otherworld" CD. It's played on a bass A whistle(with some nice guitar).

I really like Brian Finnegan's "The Ravishing Genius of Bones", particularly Stars and Nightride. The title of the album also makes me happy.

Good thread.

I agree on the brian finnegan part completely. There are three sets on youtube of "The Brian Finnegan Band" , and one of them has some really great playing on a low F, and another one on an (i think) alto A. The other tunes are on higher whistles though. I watch those videos almost everyday lately!

About the lunasa tunes you mentioned, Indeed they play a bass A whistle for autumn child, but doesn't it switch when it gets to heaton chapel, and there is a low F whistle in the background? I could be wrong about that, I thought I remembered reading somewhere in the comments where somebody said this. That's also one of my favourites from that album. Actually, I have quite a few favourites from that album ! Tracks 3 ,4, and 6 especially!

I rather prefer a lot of faster low whistle playing, to the extremely slow air type stuff. I really like a lot of john mcsherry stuff I've found on youtube of his low whistling.

Anyone have some recommendations for some faster paced reels , jigs, etc. on low whistle that you could share?

Also, whoever mentioned TinWhistler's youtube channel, M'yup! My favourite channel on youtube. I have learned so many tunes from his videos. That tune "The Phrygian Whistle" he composed is really really awesome. Also he has a video titles "New low whistle video" , and I absolutely love all the tunes after the first one on there. That channel is a "must-view" for any whistler.
nickthepiedpiper
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

Post by nickthepiedpiper »

Here's my short list:

1. Fraser Fifield - Stereocanto (can't say enough great stuff about this album!)
2. Davy Spillane - A Place Among the Stones
3. Michael McGoldrick - Aurora
4. Joanie Madden - Song of the Irish Whistle
5. Moving Hearts - Live in Dublin
6. The Ollam - The Ollam
7. Iona - Live Heaven's Bright Sun
8. Flook - Haven
9. John McSherry - Tripswitch
10. Nick Metcalf - Dreams of Ireland (I know its pretty lame to add my own CD here, but what can I say, I make music I like)
11. Hevia - Etnico ma non troppo
12. James Mcnally - Every Breath
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Although not ITM, there is a new CD by Jac O'Keeffe titled "Nothing and Everything" available on Amazon US only at this point. It has low whistle on four of the eight tracks, mainly as vocal accompaniment. Track 2 has some low D whistle, while tracks 4, 6 & 8 feature low C whistles both solo and as accompaniment. Track 4 is called "Celtic Mother" and is in Irish, while most of the rest are Sanskrit chants set to music. Track 2 is in English and the whistle accompanies the voice only on the 3 verses. Certainly an unusual use of low whistle along with harmonium, guitar, piano, didgeridoo and various percussion. Kind of a world music sound.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0cWt2dyQgg

Ah, I don't know how I could have forgotten to mention this one! Luar na lubre!

Edit: I suppose I should add the disclaimer that it isn't irish music, if that's what you'd be looking for. But for those who like a variety of types of music on whistle.. maybe you'll like