What do you expect from Sandy?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

What do you expect from Sandy?

Post by brewerpaul »

Here in upstate NY (near Albany) we're expecting mainly high wind and lots of rain from Hurricane Sandy. Maybe some flooding in low lying areas and power outages from fallen trees and limbs.
What do you expect where you are? Good luck in any event. Fortunately, most of the instruments that people here play don't require electricity. :thumbsup:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What do you expect from Sandy?

Post by crookedtune »

Winnie the Pooh:
Christopher Robin! I think it would help with this deception if you would just kind of open your umbrella and say, "Tut-tut, it looks like rain."

Christopher Robin:
Tut-tut, it looks like rain. Tut-tut, it looks like rain.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
emmline

Post by emmline »

I am prepared for power outages...a nuisance, but not a big deal. Mostly, I worry about trees and tree stuff hitting the house and/or car. My car got crunched 2 years ago, and a branch went through my next-door neighbors' roof a couple years before that. Will attempt to early vote this afternoon or Monday morning. If no-go, at least things will be (I hope) cleaned up by Nov 6.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

There is much speculation and uncertainty. Surely will be driving rains, high winds, downed limbs, power outtages, localized flooding, and other property damage at the very least.

As Paul Busman said, at least most of us have instruments that do not require electricity. :thumbsup:

I have the generator on standby should our power go kaput. We live in a very rural area so our links to water, heat, and our ability to keep food cold, are all somewhat linked to electrical power, unless I need to go to extreme type survival methods of provision.

We have weathered major storms heremin New England many times and will do so again as needed.

Good fortune and safety to all who may be impacted by Sandy.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

I'm located at the lower end of NJ at the bay. I should get a direct hit... Bob
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Good luck, youse in the weather line! Hang on in there!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chas

Post by chas »

I'm prepared for the worst, but not expecting all that much. The big thing around here is trees, but the weak ones all got taken bynthe derecho,in June. The ground is in good shape tomabsorb a lot of water. I ran the generetor yesterday, put ice packs in the freezers, filled a carboy with drinking water.

The wind still hasn't picked up.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Gobae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Gobae »

brewerpaul wrote:Here in upstate NY (near Albany) we're expecting mainly high wind and lots of rain from Hurricane Sandy. Maybe some flooding in low lying areas and power outages from fallen trees and limbs.
What do you expect where you are? Good luck in any event. Fortunately, most of the instruments that people here play don't require electricity. :thumbsup:
Hey there, it's good to see another local! I'm in Valley Falls, 15 miles due East of you.

I have no doubt we'll lose power (we're rural enough that we're usually the first to lose it and the last to get it back), but there was life before electricity. We've got oil lamps, games, books and of course (as you mentioned) musical instruments that don't require electricity.

Our family motto is: "No power? No problem!"
Gobae - The Blacksmith
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Gobae wrote:
Hey there, it's good to see another local! I'm in Valley Falls, 15 miles due East of you.

I have no doubt we'll lose power (we're rural enough that we're usually the first to lose it and the last to get it back), but there was life before electricity. We've got oil lamps, games, books and of course (as you mentioned) musical instruments that don't require electricity.

Our family motto is: "No power? No problem!"
Gobae,
I think your family motto may end up serving you well on this one. Much like yourself, I live in the boonies and if the power goes out, itmis usually for several days rather than a few hours. Regardless, you just regroup and adapt to the change in conditions and wait it out. The scope of this storm is huge and the potential energy it packs could be tragic for some. Let's hope not. :thumbsup:

Stay safe all,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

CT shoreline. I had planned on the usual, winds, trees down, power outage, and flooding. That has changed, I'm flooding now and I'm evacuating.

Be safe people!
chas

Post by chas »

I was hoping my folks on the coast of CT would evacuate, but they're sitting tight. They're right on the Sound, which is supposed to have six to 11 foot storm surge tonight. I think six feet would be safe, but I'm sure 11 would put lots of water into the house. We had water in the basement twice when I was a kid, once during a hurricane.

Things are just starting to pick up here in the DC area.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I trust that my friends in the Northeast are coping with the onset of Sandygeddon in typical stalwart and sensible fashion. To watch the breathless, hyperbolic hysteria being promoted on the news, you'd think everyone is running around in complete chaos and sheer panic. Being a Long Island native, and having lived through Donna and Gloria and many, many severe winter storms, I know better. You know within reason what to expect and what to do, and you do it. I trust we're all better than the wimps the national media have decided Americans all are in the new millennium. Makes my blood boil, actually.

Stay safe everyone, and keep us posted on your situation!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
TC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TC »

MONDAY NIGHT SESSION CANCELLED

This is serious stuff.
Please be safe people.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

We ended up with a relatively big nothing. High winds,moderate rain but no power outage and that's about it. Not that I'm complaining. My heart goes out to all those less fortunate.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
robert schuler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by robert schuler »

Eye of the storm passed over head 9 pm. I when outside and looked up at it, quiet peaceful, expected the much feared backside. It never came, the storm fizzled...History... No damage, my farm and crops intact. I'm giving myself the day off to play my new fiddle... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats