FS Chris Wilkes 8 key Blackwood flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

FS Chris Wilkes 8 key Blackwood flute

Post by Jon C. »

Selling this flute for a friend.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=89793

"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: FS Chris Wilkes 8 key Blackwood flute

Post by Loren »

Gaaaah!! Boxwood man, I need it in Boxwood!!! :swear: :x :swear:

Looks awesome though and a fair price, someone is gonna end up with a killer flute.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Oh, yeah...now we're talkin'...wish I had the dough.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Am I right that this is a large holed Rudally flute?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

jim stone wrote:Am I right that this is a large holed Rudally flute?
Medium large...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Flute sale pending...
Michael Flatley

Jon
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I'd buy it myself if it was in the UK. [sigh]
mandoboy

Post by mandoboy »

Jon C. wrote:Flute sale pending...
Thank God!
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Again a very reasonable price 4.500 USD for a top quality instrument. The same price that Kathie sold her Wilkes for a couple of weeks ago. I assume that this Wilkes has already been snapped up. :)
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Steampacket wrote:Again a very reasonable price 4.500 USD for a top quality instrument. The same price that Kathie sold her Wilkes for a couple of weeks ago. I assume that this Wilkes has already been snapped up. :)
Yes, the flute is sold, but as middle man, I am still playing it! :party:
Michael Flatley

Jon
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Yes, the flute is sold, but as middle man, I am still playing it" Jon C.

:thumbsup: Good man! Chris does make wonderful flutes. When I got mine some years ago I found it quite a handfull, due to my inexperience. It took some time getting used to the embouchure. Now I've been playing longer it's easy to play even though I change flutes and often play another flute with a completely different embouchure (Olwell Pratten) I can easily get back into the Wilkes which has a very different feel and sound.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Steampacket wrote:"Yes, the flute is sold, but as middle man, I am still playing it" Jon C.

:thumbsup: Good man! Chris does make wonderful flutes. When I got mine some years ago I found it quite a handfull, due to my inexperience. It took some time getting used to the embouchure. Now I've been playing longer it's easy to play even though I change flutes and often play another flute with a completely different embouchure (Olwell Pratten) I can easily get back into the Wilkes which has a very different feel and sound.
Well I always have my beautiful original Rudall and Rose to fall back on... The embouchures are almost identical to the Wilkes... :D
Michael Flatley

Jon
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

hmm.... something tells me it's gonna be a box before I visit eh?

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Aanvil wrote:hmm.... something tells me it's gonna be a box before I visit eh?

:D
yep...
Michael Flatley

Jon
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"I always have my beautiful original Rudall and Rose to fall back on... The embouchures are almost identical to the Wilkes... " Jon C.

Yes, the same with my Wilkes keyless, and the Rudall Carte & Co I am now custodian of, (didn't have it when this thread started up), as regards embouchures. I notice in the photo that Chris has placed his long F key blocks in a better position on this flute, compared to the 1892 R&C I have, where the edge of the supporting block is on the middle of the far edge of the F# tonehole. So I'm having to get used to it being in the way of the end of my finger when playing. Just a small thing but noticable. I'm getting used to it. I find the keys and blocks to be a distraction and unnecessary, but they are there and part of the flute which I readily admit is growing on me the more I play it. Amazing sound and response