Words from Harry Bradley

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JackCampin
antispam: No

Re: Words from Harry Bradley

Post by JackCampin »

The clip Kirk posted sounded rather rushed to me, not much flow to it. As if he had five minutes to get the recording down because there was a taxi to the airport waiting.

I'm willing to believe he doesn't always sound like that, but I didn't find it very expressive or enjoyable and it didn't get my foot tapping.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

JackCampin wrote:The clip Kirk posted sounded rather rushed to me, not much flow to it. As if he had five minutes to get the recording down because there was a taxi to the airport waiting.

I'm willing to believe he doesn't always sound like that, but I didn't find it very expressive or enjoyable and it didn't get my foot tapping.
Funny how different people hear things differently. I think that clip is fantastic. Really powerful, rhythmic, driving flute playing. Harry rattling along in good old Harry mode.

For me, Harry Bradley is the best flute player playing in the Irish tradition that there is. By quite some way. Lovely fella too.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I've given up on the idea that I'm going to play fast by playing slow. Of course I will learn the tunes by playing slow, but I believe I will best learn to play them fast by playing them with people who play them faster than I do/can.
Jim: I am no Harry Bradley (there is only one), but I have been playing for decades. Simply put, if you (I) can't play the tune slowly then chances are that you (I) won't be able to play it up to tempo. Some speedy players find it hard to play a tune slowly. But this is not the same thing as a person stretched out of his comfort zone and trying to hang in with the hot-shots. Seamus Creagh told me forty years ago that there is no such thing as practicing a tune too slowly.

You will not learn to play tunes fast by by playing them with people who play them faster ... . Either you will be able to play up to their tempo -- in which case the issue is moot -- or you won't be able to. In the latter case you will be adding clutter and background noise to the session. Either you can play it, or you can't. If you can, then do. If you can't, then you should not be playing with that group. You will be fecking them up. This is Harry's point and the start of all of this.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I've been traveling in China and haven't been keeping up here (I'll tell you about the Beijing seisiun soon). But thought I would clarify about my "playing too slowly.." comment. The seisiun I was referring to plays many reels at 70 bpm or less while reading the music. Sometimes they start something and it is so slow I don't even recognize it till I start "learning" it by ear and half-way through realize I know it. I agree that speed alone a tune does not make, but there really is an envelope...and too many seisiun try to push the upper end of that envelope.

Clark
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

You will not learn to play tunes fast by by playing them with people who play them faster
I disagree. There is a session in Galway where some great musicians play really fast (but it doesn't sound rushed). I had some troubles keeping up with their tempo a few months ago, but now I'm a regular at that session and I can keep up with no troubles. Fingers need to be trained to go fast and still be comfortable, it doesn't just happen.
JackCampin wrote:The clip Kirk posted sounded rather rushed to me, not much flow to it. As if he had five minutes to get the recording down because there was a taxi to the airport waiting.

I give up.
Ok not completely.
I don't know what's your experience with Irish music (well, not heaving heard of Harry says something...), but sometimes your ears need to be trained to appreciate something you're not so familiar with.
There are plenty more videos of Harry on that site anyway.
Last edited by LorenzoFlute on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I think talking about slow vs. fast is already missing the point. Feel and musicality are necessary for music to sound good, whether played slow or fast. If a tune feels as if it is too slow, particularly if the players are reading music simultaneously, it will sound dreadful. My experience, though, often has sessions ruining tunes by racing through them when a) they are not up to that skill level, either on the tune(s) itself, or always, or b) accompanied by others of varying skill who are not quite up to the speed. Either way, the result is a lack of feel and musicality. These sessions, as said before, are mostly social occasions, and not learning places. I've picked up tunes I didn't know at sessions, but only really mastered said tunes when I'd taken them home and learned them again.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Othannen wrote:
You will not learn to play tunes fast by by playing them with people who play them faster
I disagree. There is a session in Galway where some great musicians play really fast (but it doesn't sound not rushed). I had some troubles keeping up with their tempo a few months ago, but now I'm a regular at that session and I can keep up with no troubles. Fingers need to be trained to go fast and still be comfortable, it doesn't just happen.
Something like this is my experience, too. I benefit from the challenge; I am able to play faster in the long term because
of it. It's sort of like training to run races. You have to do some speed work.

Speed isn't musicality, and I wouldn't mind if these people played more slowly, but playing up-tempo is obviously
going to be part of playing in good sessions. Julia's point is well taken that one doesn't want to feck up the session
by playing too slowly, but we're kind of a weird, rowdy session and nobody seems to care. I often just fall silent in
the midst of a tune.

As a consequence my general speed is increasing.

Part of the 'trick', by the way, seems to be to relax more the faster I go.

I certainly agree with the point that i'm more likely to find the musicality of the tune by playing alone
at a more relaxed tempo. But I do want to get faster if I can.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:sniffle: :sniffle: :sniffle: Seamus Creagh. :sniffle: :sniffle: :sniffle:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Depends on the session. I've been to some sessions where it was the most beautiful sound I've ever heard, capturing the quintessential spirit of the music as a communal expression. These sessions are comprised by top players who play together a lot. I've also participated in every session in between and still do, slow, medium and fast. I find the spirit of equality and acceptance here is much more prevalent than competition and exclusion (as opposed to classical and jazz music which seem all about attrition and competition, especially classical).
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Remember that Mr. Campin had never heard of Planxty either, and he referred to Liam O'Flynn's playing and arrangement as "dimwitted".

viewtopic.php?p=1028263#p1028263
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

MTGuru wrote:Remember that Mr. Campin had never heard of Planxty either, and he referred to Liam O'Flynn's playing and arrangement as "dimwitted".

viewtopic.php?p=1028263#p1028263

Oh dear lord. The things I miss when I tune out for a bit...

R
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Now I'm aware that Mr. Bradley's a Dublin man, and that he plays in a variety of styles, but in the clip presented I hear a West of Ireland thing, not dissimilar from what you might hear Kevin Henry play. Would others find that not too out of line?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

Nanohedron wrote:Now I'm aware that Mr. Bradley's a Dublin man, and that he plays in a variety of styles, but in the clip presented I hear a West of Ireland thing, not dissimilar from what you might hear Kevin Henry play. Would others find that not too out of line?
Not that it matters that much, but Harry is from Belfast. No matter where you are from, it's pretty hard not to be influenced by North Connacht flute players, since there are a lot of really good ones from John McKenna on down. Harry's album with Jesse Smith, as well as his album with Paul O'Shaughnessy, both have great tunes and influence from a lot of those musicians.

B
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:and he referred to Liam O'Flynn's playing and arrangement as "dimwitted".
Well, to be fair to Jack, he didn't ('The band on the clip was Australian'), although he didn't exactly help himself with what came next...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?