OT My Appologies...and the fights that ensued.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Have you had enough?

Yes, let's all lick our wounds.
17%
No, this is a constructive debate.
17%
I was just getting started.
13%
I'm ashamed of you people.
38%
It seems so insignificant now.
17%

Total votes: 24

bdatki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bdatki »

Did you read the article above? I think the many women who have been raped under Saddam Hussein's reign of terror would take exception to that analogy, if they are even alive.

I am sorry, I just think there is no possible way to defend a man such as Saddam Hussein.
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdatki

Post by bdatki »

I agree with you that war is abominable. But I don't see any way to remove him from power without the force of arms. Asking him nicely to leave is not going to get results.

Also, the staggering number of Iraqi people that Saddam Hussein has killed should speak for something. This man is one of the worst mass-murderers of the last century, right there after Hitler, Stalin, and Mao. If we allow him to continue, he is going to keep killing. I think it is our duty as decent human beings to free the Iraqi people. I believe the death toll will be lower this way than if we allow Saddam to continue.

However, I understand that if you do not believe in the notion of a just war, we aren't going to find much common ground. But what else can we do? We have exhausted our diplomatic mission (it's hard to negotiate with a crazed mass murderer, after all).

The only way I can see this being dealt with blood-free involves divine intervention. It would be nice though.
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdatki

Post by bdatki »

Yup, it's #1 on the list.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

CraigMc wrote:
When we go in on Friday you will all see what I , Jim Stone and Weekender already believe to be true. This needed to be done, and needed to be done this way. We did not make this choice alone, Saddam and the dissenting members of the U.N. are just as much to blame.
Don't forget me ;)

I havn't participated much because I said my peace in the 'rolling protest' and anything else I would have wanted to add was said very well by you folks.
[/quote]
Oh, oh, oh, me too, me too! I have stopped participating in the political threads, too, because Jim Stone always says it far better than I can, but I'm there. And I wouldn't feel bad about Zub being upset. Any day you can rattle his cage is a good day.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

asking nicely

Post by Walden »

bdatki wrote:Asking him nicely to leave is not going to get results.
How about we send Bill and Hillary Clinton, Monica Lewinsky, and the Rev. Mr. Jesse Jackson to have a private three day summit with Mr. Hussein? No press allowed. No military action till it's over. Just a nice long chat.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

blackhawk wrote:I wouldn't feel bad about Zub being upset. Any day you can rattle his cage is a good day.

Bagfed did not upset me really; he just triggered a few reactions. Beside, I appreciate enough is humour on other topics, and do listen to his opinions... when he doesn't just grunt ;)

BTW, Bagfed, I don't know if your coat of arms is really PC given the circumstances. This azure field with three golden crosses... Hmm, well it looks suspiciously Froonch. You used to be a batman: one day American see my wings, one day Scottish see my claws... Now with these questionable arms, and hence origins, what does it become? Duck-billed
platypus?

As for you, « Blackhawk* » I'll address you personnally once and for all:
- You're alone here trying personal aggression in a general debate.
- I live in a cage? You live in a cage as well. We all do. Difference between us is I know it and try ways out. You don't know and feel comfy in it.

* How romantic! A bit Wagnerian for my taste, but one doesn't discuss tastes. After all, when a kid, I liked the idea of a totem, too :roll:
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Bagfed wrote:We did not make this choice alone, Saddam and the dissenting members of the U.N. are just as much to blame.
« Dissenting... »

Interesting terminology, especially applied to a majority.

You should sell this one to John Ashcroft :roll:

Dissenting, wrong-thinking... try also schismatic and heretical. Or may be just "undisciplined"? :D
Turner

Post by Turner »

Cranberry wrote:
That is the same as a rapist saying 'Don't resist me and I won't hurt you.' The very act of the rapist being there is very hurting. It's not fair, at all.
That Cranberry is a very F**ked up way to look at things. Everyone wants a world where we are all at peace, where the politicains blow kisses at each other over the big UN table, but it doesnt matter how much you wish for it, or how many times you pretend the world is like that, because its not. And never will be like that

Somtimes the only way to resolve a sítuation is with force, its the way of the world and human nature :moreevil: Look through past times, the Dog with the biggest teeth has always won, its the same now as it always has been.

Sorry if i have shattered any illusions of a perfect world you may have had Cranberry. But it sounds like you need a reality check :D

Its not a nice world, its never going to be a nice world, like most animals we live on instincts, the most powerful being to destoy anything which threatens us, or our loved ones!
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Bagfed wrote: When we go in on Friday you will all see what I , Jim Stone and Weekender already believe to be true. This needed to be done, and needed to be done this way. We did not make this choice alone, Saddam and the dissenting members of the U.N. are just as much to blame.
Count me in with you. I believe that during the unfolding of the military action there will be some things revealed in Iraq that will surprise the world, arms and such that Hussein owns. And peace will come, after victory.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Turner wrote:Its not a nice world, its never going to be a nice world, like most animals we live on instincts, the most powerful being to destoy anything which threatens us, or our loved ones!
Although in the case where the people who arguably are a threat to us just disappear off the face of the earth, destroying a bunch of Iraqis is a good alternative too.
Turner wrote:Look through past times, the Dog with the biggest teeth has always won, its the same now as it always has been.
So, in other words might makes right?

The dog with the biggest teeth might always win - but if it's a rabid, mean-tempered beast, chances are the vet will come along one day and put it to sleep. To every other dog's satisfaction.

Jens
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:The dog with the biggest teeth might always win - but if it's a rabid, mean-tempered beast, chances are the vet will come along one day and put it to sleep. To every other dog's satisfaction.
You want the vet to put Iraq to sleep?
Reasonable person
Walden