All lower case typing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
elendil

All lower case typing

Post by elendil »

Question: how many of you would like me to take my all lower case style and shove it? It's a habit I fell into for brief communications, but perhaps it is aggravating for longer missives.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to change my username? I know I saw how to do it, somewhere, once, but I can't find the instructions now. If I ever find out how to do it, explanations will follow.

Finally, forgive my inexpertness, but I'm trying to do a poll and I'm not sure I'm doing it right, so here's the question:

Where does all lower case typing hurt you the most? Please describe the pain it gives you.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Tin:

Lower case isnt that big a deal. What is a big deal to me is something you have right anyway.

Keep the paragraphs short and insert space. Its so very hard to read long full blocks of paragraphs. Especially if the poster uses long sentences, which I am prone to do, btw. Jim Stone does the short line thing, which keeps it possible to read so that works as well.

All the best,
The Weekenders
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Type any way you want to, T. It's not hard to read, any way you want to do it. No worries!
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

JUST DON'T DO ALL UPPER CASE!! ;)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Actually, I read a longer post of yours yesterday and found the all lower case typing very difficult to read - it actually crossed my mind to reply and ask you to use the caps key once in awhile! That said, however, it also gives you a "signature" style - feel free to type any way you want.
Susan
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

i dONT hAVE A pROBLEM wItH aLL LOWER cASE tYPING aS lONG aS iT iS uSED cOnSiStEnTlY.
mIKe
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

ifindlowercasetypingalotlesstroubleontheeyethan ALLUPPERCASESHOUTING atleastyou'respeakinginanormalvoice

it'sthelackofspacingandpunctuationthatreallychafesthough :boggle:
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Tinuviel, personally, I don't care how you type; it's your way of doing things, and that's fine. I don't think anyone else should have a say in the matter. :)

As to the Username, I e-mailed Rich to change mine. And just a Q. Why do you want to change your name?!?!? I think it's neat that there are a few people out there with Elvish Usernames. :D
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
elendil

Post by elendil »

Thanks to everyone for their input. I guess if I post, it means I want someone to read what I write, so I want to make it easy for people to read. For longer messages (and I do tend to get a little crazy in front of a keyboard) I'll do the standard style. :)

As for the name change, I e-mailed Rich and I'm waiting to hear back. My reason for wanting to change is simple. Those who know Elvish will realize that Tinuviel is a female name. I picked it as a username because I got all excited about my new Sweetheart Professional D and wanted to shout about, so I registered in a hurry and picked the first name that popped into my head: tinuviel, the name of my computer. Lately I've been feeling self-conscious, so I want to change it to a male name (still Elvish), since the username refers to me, not my computer.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Ahh the writer's dilemma. To write what you want to write or write what will be read. If you like the lowercase then stay with it and know that some people will not read your words. If you want to compromise your style and whore yourself out to the masses :) , then type in a standard way so people will have less of a reason to NOT read you.

My suggestion, just add a little more 'white space' to your posts and people can read it fine.

But...the standard way of capitalizing was invented for a reason ya know...

Another thing you could do is add maybe three spaces between sentences if you choose not to capitalize at the beginning of sentences. Our eyes look for cues to keep out place.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

FJohnSharp wrote:Ahh the writer's dilemma. To write what you want to write or write what will be read. If you like the lowercase then stay with it and know that some people will not read your words. If you want to compromise your style and whore yourself out to the masses :) , then type in a standard way so people will have less of a reason to NOT read you.

My suggestion, just add a little more 'white space' to your posts and people can read it fine.

But...the standard way of capitalizing was invented for a reason ya know...

Another thing you could do is add maybe three spaces between sentences if you choose not to capitalize at the beginning of sentences. Our eyes look for cues to keep out place.
FJohnSharp, I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. Though I know your "whore yourself out to the masses" was largely in jest, one of the major irritants of the internet, in general, is the large volume of folks who deliberately ignore normal usages in favor of "personal style".

Used sparingly, non-standard posts actually do achieve their intended goal - they draw the eye, and the reader's attention. I've no argument with that. whether its an all lower case sentence without any punctuation even when its needed OR AN ALL-CAPS SHOUT these do make the reader pause a bit, read them more slowly and (hopefully!) more thoughtfully.

But unless your main intent in posting is something other than conveying your thoughts to the largest possible audience, using too many non-standard techniques (and slowing down most readers in the process) is counter-productive; it leads to some readers skipping over your post altogether.

I think of odd capitalization, spelling, and grammar as being like spices is cooking - used with care, they lead to a tasty dish, but used too freely they may leave you with something inedible. And if I'm a trifle dismissive of some of the more "innovative" posting styles I've seen, it's because I'm getting tired of Garlic Chocolate Curried Wombat Meringue. :twisted:

Dana
elendil

Post by elendil »

i like that extra spaces idea. i'll give that a try in future. actually, part of the reason i got into this low case mode is from using linux, where, as in other unices, low case tends to be the norm. but, y'all are absolutely right--standard english punctuation and capitalization has definite advantages.

Aha! I tried three spaces (above) and it didn't work--it came out as you see it. I think the best idea is to format my writing a little more. Thanks to all.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

DCrom wrote: FJohnSharp, I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. Though I know your "whore yourself out to the masses" was largely in jest, one of the major irritants of the internet, in general, is the large volume of folks who deliberately ignore normal usages in favor of "personal style".

Used sparingly, non-standard posts actually do achieve their intended goal - they draw the eye, and the reader's attention. I've no argument with that. whether its an all lower case sentence without any punctuation even when its needed OR AN ALL-CAPS SHOUT these do make the reader pause a bit, read them more slowly and (hopefully!) more thoughtfully.

But unless your main intent in posting is something other than conveying your thoughts to the largest possible audience, using too many non-standard techniques (and slowing down most readers in the process) is counter-productive; it leads to some readers skipping over your post altogether.

I think of odd capitalization, spelling, and grammar as being like spices is cooking - used with care, they lead to a tasty dish, but used too freely they may leave you with something inedible. And if I'm a trifle dismissive of some of the more "innovative" posting styles I've seen, it's because I'm getting tired of Garlic Chocolate Curried Wombat Meringue. :twisted:

Dana
Dana, I don't think we disagree at all. While I told tinuviel (sp?) that is was okay for him to post how he likes, I also said that the people would likely choose not to read it. Anytime one does what one wants in opposition to the accepted standards, they risk alienation or being ignored. If tinuviel wishes to express himself uniquely it is because he chooses to take the associated risks. As you can see, I do not. I use the standard style so that you will be more likely to read it. I do not want to have typed this for nothing.

Now, if you want my honest opinion of the style thing, I thnk that laziness and the proliferation of internet chat have ruined standard style to the point that my teen age daughter and her peers don't even KNOW the correct style. I think that in a few years we will see some sort of acceptance of non-standard styles just as we have accepted new words and new definitons for old words because people were too lazy to use the language as it was created (just look at the word 'hopefully'). One day, it wll be acceptable in business letters to use all lower case and sentences like 'r u 2 n luv?'