Opinions about a new whistle : )

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
German Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Opinions about a new whistle : )

Post by German Whistler »

Angel Shadowsong wrote:

Sorry for the long post.

Hope this help you.

Regards,

Angel
not to be sorry at all
it was interesting to read and i will copy it for the keep the information
well written, thanks
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
Brent Lyons
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brent Lyons »

MarcoTúlio wrote:But I am not very sure if the Dixon is the whistles I want to buy... One say it's a nice whistles others say it's not :boggle:
As many have said here, be sure to try the whistle first if you can at all. I have blindly purchased an Oak (it was awful, so I gave it away) and a Walton's Little Black Whistle (that one was so bad that I just threw it away!) and had bad experiences, but I know that there are great ones of these out there to be had. Unfortunately, with the <$100 whistle market, you really do need to try 2, 3, or 10 out before you get one that is well tuned and compatible with your playing!

But, then again, sometimes the journey is half of the fun... :)
...don't worry - that was just the rarely heard note of K flat. I meant to do that.
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

MarcoTúlio wrote:Hello C&F!!

I really want to buy a DX001 (Dixon Polymer One Piece) and a DXNTRD (Dixon Trad Niquel) all in the key of D from Dixon website.

Are they good Whistles? What is your opinion about them?

Thank you all!!
Well that's a resounding yes for these Dixon whistles, what I can add about the Dixon Polymer One Piece is you loose the ability to make it tunable as it's one piece :)
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I'd like to, as respectfully as possible, disagree with most of the replies you've received. With those who tell you to go ahead and try them because this category of Dixon's are inexpensive and you may like them, thereby minimizing risk, I agree.

But...
The whistle crafters on C&F will nearly unanimously tell you that material has very little to do with the tone/sound/timbre of a whistle. Whether it's brass, nickel, aluminum, wood or pvc makes very little difference to the tone/sound/timbre. Head/body/hole design, placement and dimensions have a far greater impact. I can say without reservation that you are likely to find differences between whistles from the same maker but that is usually their intention and is not directly related to the material used to make the whistle. Some will argue that brass is thinner than aluminum which will affect tone and I agree that when different thicknesses of material are used it can effect tone. However, I have some thick brass whistles and thin aluminum whistles too. The dimension is the issue, not the material.

With all due respect, the physical size of a person has absolutely nothing to do with their "breath supply". To say that one fat person will prefer the same whistle, or sound the same way, as another fat person is simply ridiculous. Maybe you were joking about this?

I also disagree that listening to a lesser player is wiser than listening to a great player when judging an instrument. A great player won't make the odd mistakes in breath control and fingering that a lesser player might make thereby introducing an unpredictable variable for you to consider. It is also worth considering that some really great whistles require great players to bring out their best qualities and some really mediocre instruments will sound better when played by a beginner as they are designed to be forgiving and may lack the dynamics of a great instrument. Greatness is not necessarily related to price either.

I do agree that the best way to judge whistle is to try it, read reviews as suggested, and avoid listening to sound clips. I find them largely useless. I also find videos pretty useless as they can be just as "engineered" as sound clips.

Finally, I agree that WHOA is good and you probably have it.

Good luck with you choice,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
maki

Post by maki »

Brent Lyons wrote:
MarcoTúlio wrote:But I am not very sure if the Dixon is the whistles I want to buy... One say it's a nice whistles others say it's not :boggle:
As many have said here, be sure to try the whistle first if you can at all. I have blindly purchased an Oak (it was awful, so I gave it away) and a Walton's Little Black Whistle (that one was so bad that I just threw it away!) and had bad experiences, but I know that there are great ones of these out there to be had. Unfortunately, with the <$100 whistle market, you really do need to try 2, 3, or 10 out before you get one that is well tuned and compatible with your playing!

But, then again, sometimes the journey is half of the fun... :)
My first Oak whistle was terrible too!
But after sitting in a drawer for six months it improved dramatically.
(Don't throw any whistle away in your first year of playing.)

:D
Brent Lyons

Post by Brent Lyons »

maki wrote: But after sitting in a drawer for six months it improved dramatically.
(Don't throw any whistle away in your first year of playing.)

:D
Okay, I'll come clean: I gave the Oak away because it was frustrating the heck out of me (I liked my Clarke much better), and I had to throw the LBW away because I tried to "fix it"... :oops:
...don't worry - that was just the rarely heard note of K flat. I meant to do that.
German Whistler

Brent Lyons wrote: ... I had to throw the LBW away because I tried to "fix it"... :oops:
LOL :D
well thats a good reason

so no fault of waltons anyway, whats good cause i am looking forward for my first little black one

* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
;-)
German Whistler

MarcoTúlio wrote:Hello C&F!!

I really want to buy a DX001 (Dixon Polymer One Piece) and a DXNTRD (Dixon Trad Niquel) all in the key of D from Dixon website.

Are they good Whistles? What is your opinion about them?

Thank you all!!
so its a time ago since that posting
did you get a new whistle/s?
which one/s?

i got 4 new whistles today

- very traditional maybe even the most traditional, Clarkes original unpainted in the key of D - just beautifull and nice playing with a great sound
- the same whistle but painted, the black one with the "diamonds" on it and in the key of C (most get this whistle in D i guess but i have also the unpainted in D so i got this on in C wich i always like a lot) - what can i say, i love it, even the taste of the wodden mouthpiece is nice ;-) but i will oil it later - noticed, both clarke original neede more air than the Megs
- a MEG in C (havent played it yet but looking forward to do it) must sound very nice if its so breathy than the D meg
- a Sweetone in D - also havent played it yet but should sound like our Megs in d - this one will get a special treatment, ill talk later about it

so 4 new whistles - my collection went from 6 to 10 and i am very happy with them all

so what about you? is your meg still alone?

* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
;-)